Class 47 photos

• RMweb Premium

And the platforms would be full of enthusiasts! As it was there were only about 3 people to see it in those pre mobile phone days.

As a former basher, the LAST thing I would want to see is that combination rolling in knowing the 26 would be removed....

As a former basher, the LAST thing I would want to see is that combination rolling in knowing the 26 would be removed....

It had to be. the drivers didn't have route knowledge past Newcastle and of course it wasn't nearly powerful enough to take such a heavy load to the Cross.

• RMweb Premium

It had to be. the drivers didn't have route knowledge past Newcastle and of course it wasn't nearly powerful enough to take such a heavy load to the Cross.

Exactly, but take the 47 off and it might have made it :-)

Edited by brushman47544

I always think it looks odd now in York Station without the centre tracks.....

Yes they were done away with in the crazy run up to privatisation where it didn't matter how useful something was , only the cost.... rant over here is a 47 waiting to take over from 55022 at York on a northbound train 1978. Often it was a Deltic replacing a Deltic but that's off topic :senile:

When I took this photo, number 1 in the charts was "You're The One That I want" by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. Number 3 was The Smurf Song.

17562663.758b9dce.640.jpg

55002 Royal Scots Grey York 7.10.78 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Yes they were done away with in the crazy run up to privatisation where it didn't matter how useful something was , only the cost.... rant over here is a 47 waiting to take over from 55022 at York on a northbound train 1978. Often it was a Deltic replacing a Deltic but that's off topic :senile:When I took this photo, number 1 in the charts was "You're The One That I want" by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. Number 3 was The Smurf Song. 17562663.758b9dce.640.jpg55002 Royal Scots Grey York 7.10.78 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Interesting to see two employees on the track without HVJs

Interesting to see two employees on the track without HVJs

1978 and for what looks like a short hop from the 47 to the Deltic, I doubt I would have bothered with a hv. I didn't start until '83 and back then the only choice was between the nasty 3 button shortie hv and the "almost impossible to put on in a hurry" velcro monstrosity. Even in the early - mid 80s, you'd often see traincrew "on the deck" without one. I'm not saying it's right, but it happened all the time, and if noticed, you were subject to no more than a half-hearted b*llocking from your TCS or TI.

1978 and for what looks like a short hop from the 47 to the Deltic, I doubt I would have bothered with a hv. I didn't start until '83 and back then the only choice was between the nasty 3 button shortie hv and the "almost impossible to put on in a hurry" velcro monstrosity. Even in the early - mid 80s, you'd often see traincrew "on the deck" without one. I'm not saying it's right, but it happened all the time, and if noticed, you were subject to no more than a half-hearted b*llocking from your TCS or TI.

I started in 83 too and I had one of those mini Hi-Vi's. The funny thing about it was that for some reason the buttons melted - they just got softer and softer till you could pull them apart like Uri Geller. I am sure that , like me, you could write a book about the things which happened on the railways then but never made the newspapers.

• Like 2

I was having a wander into town today and thought to stop for a few moments at Marsh Lane, by luck I saw 3 47s on one train, I was only there to take a picture of a HST departing off Neville Hill

47786 Roy Castle obe, 47826 and 47804

47786 Roy Castle obe

post-9437-0-21116900-1396819796_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-23960100-1396819791_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-59361200-1396819793_thumb.jpg

and the HST 43064 ( 43045 on rear )

post-9437-0-73080700-1396820011_thumb.jpg

• Like 3