Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Looks good Simon.

I went to the trouble of etching my own fencing for BoT as I need about 5ft of it for the area in front of the old brewery at the back. Heres my etch that I did in stainless for durability. The little grilles are actually nothing to do with the fence they are 4mm scale class 58 cabside grilles.

post-6894-0-06516400-1468053811_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Nice work Cav, very tidy. Just had a quick measure up of Dallam, I need just over 20ft of this type of fencing alone, hence reason I picked the laser cut card as cheaper than etched versions and not had time to draw my own for etching.

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Simon. For the amount you would need it would probably end up quite cheap as an etch. I obviously have the artwork done for that now so reorders would be very cheap.

• Like 1

Had a chance to try a piece of fencing along Dallam Lane after I had started building up the undergrowth.

I think it looks ok, obviously a full length will look better.

post-6834-0-99252900-1468091599_thumb.jpg

A few bushes and small trees need adding to this embankment, along with some weeds etc in the foreground.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Really coming together, going to be a superb layout!

Hi Njee20, thanks for your comments!

A few more work in progress shots, scenics continuing around Dallam yard and the embankment along the front of the layout next to Bewsey Road bridge.

post-6834-0-09961300-1468235845_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-79760600-1468235884_thumb.jpg

Once the scenics are complete on the embankments, I may look at starting to bed some of the overhead masts into position once they have been checked and painted.

Need to get some more road vehicles and hide that James Irlam truck.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Hi,

Aswell as working on the basic groundwork, I thought I better start looking at some trees. There are quite a few required of various sizes along with bushes. So last night I made a start using pieces of dried seamoss, some cheap sticky hairspray, various shades of flock and scatter then added in layers to bulk them out and more hairspray between each layer to hopefully seal and bind it all together!

First one in position to get a feel for look and shading.

post-6834-0-02304400-1468338073_thumb.jpg

Progress so far, only loosely held hence the reason some are falling over

post-6834-0-42890500-1468338138_thumb.jpg

Should keep me busy for a few nights!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

After finishing a few more trees last night, I managed to progress the embankment between Bewsey Road overbridge and the Cheshire Lines overbridge. This embankment is going to need quite a bit of work and a fair number of trees and bushes. Approximately half of this is now currently built (flats, houses - went up around 2002 I think)on so I only have a few photographs to work from.

post-6834-0-63203500-1468404853_thumb.jpg

At the other end, the ground work either side of Dallam Lane is nearing completion, the waste ground between the road and backscene needs a fence adding and various trees along its length. The embankment requires some small trees and bushes adding followed by a fence. I need to give the back scene a wipe over to remove all the hairspray and flock.

post-6834-0-07915400-1468405163_thumb.jpg

Once happy with the above, the pavement and road will be toned down with some dry brushing and powders.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 13

Hi Simon

The Layouts looking excellent. Just out of interest what are you using as coverage on the sea moss. The only reason I ask is that I've been making some recently and this time round I've used short static grass as cover. For some reason it seems to stick and hold a lot better than normally scenic scatter and doesn't fall off when you accidentally ping a tree.

Don't get me wrong yours look great, just a suggestion you might like to try.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm not a fan of using static grass on trees. I tried it back in the Outon Road days as an experiment and I felt that the fibrous texture didn't look right to me as leaves. I have used it in brown as fine branches which I then have used tree foliage over which can look good. I find that woodland scenics fine tree foliage that you get in the clear styrene boxes give best results.

Edited by RBE

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments, its much appreciated!

Marcus, I have used Woodlands foliage to provide bulk as Cav has mentioned and then lightly splinkled various shades of fine scatter to try and add subtle shading. Each layer has received a good coat of cheap hairspray and so far seem ok.

Jeremy,

Only got 3 so far, I move them around to help me picture in my mind the effect I am after. A production line will be starting shortly though - they don't take too long to do once you get into the swing of it, need to order some suitable BA brass screws for mounting into the baseboard though. A concrete foundation will also be added even if it is buried in the undergrowth.

Cheers

Simon

This is looking excellent really well done! I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this come together. It's very inspiring and I can't wait to see it finished.

John

Hi John, glad your enjoying the build and thanks for your comments!

Trees glued into position tonight along Dallam Lane, almost ready for fencing along both sides of the road.

Here is a picture of the progress at Dallam yard. The 08 has just tripped the 2 VGAs up from Arpley yard and the driver is just waiting for the shunter to uncouple.

post-6834-0-16384600-1468442988_thumb.jpg

A distant shot

post-6834-0-17408100-1468443043_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

In between the scenery, the first 4 out of 5 purchased PFA's are nearly complete once some minor detail has been added. Hopefully going to order atleast 10 more to give an initial rake length of 15.

post-6834-0-11267000-1468496250_thumb.jpg

Here are a few examples of typical workings:

Loadhaul 37698 at Winwick junction complete with EWS bodyside door - may not have been in this condition in 2001!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32865578@N02/5401926217/in/photolist-ec2TFZ-dvtJnf-9emhsV-fmS9n4-8QygMy-cLdgaG-7ceEec-vVR3qE-uW9oi4

Mainline liveried 60078 at Winwick Junction

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32865578@N02/7720242638/in/photolist-ec2TFZ-dvtJnf-9emhsV-fmS9n4-8QygMy-cLdgaG-7ceEec-vVR3qE-uW9oi4

56018 at Seaforth in post 19, thanks to Dave aka Beast for posting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77973-2001-a-space-odyssey-or-warrington-area-trains/

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

The trees look great in place Simon. Very effective, I think I would have put the fences in first mind you to avoid trying to get it in behind the trees without breaking them!

I like the PFAs, always an interesting train to see. I have 1 of those kits I got as a trial. I'm not too convinced that the kits go together particularly well but they do look good once done.

Edited by RBE

The trees look great in place Simon. Very effective, I think I would have put the fences in first mind you to avoid trying to get it in behind the trees without breking them!

I like the PFAs, always an interesting train to see. I have 1 of those kits I got as a trial. I'm not too convinced that the kits go together particularly well but they do look good once done.

Hi Cav,

To be honest, not had much problem with these, its more getting used to the size of the bits in the kit, once I got my head and eyes around that, all seemed ok - if that makes sense???. I could do with giving these a trial run though to see how they run through points and around curves when coupled as the coupling is now rigid. I have taken a slice off each coupling on the r/h corner to allow more movement around curves, I should be ok as the minimum radius on Dallam that they would operate round is approx 11-12 inches.

With regards kits, the NGS have a few nice ones, currently thinking of a rake of Salmon wagons with the EWS type bogies which I believe allow a higher speed. Need to join the NGS first of course.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

It wasn't the fact that they were hard to build, they are actually pretty easy and turned out pretty nice in the end, it was excess flash and having to remove small pieces of material to get things to fit properly on the one I had. Maybe they aren't all the same. I certainly didn't feel like I was building something that went together well. The NGS kit's I have on the other hand are superb and can't recommend their stuff enough.

As for the couplings maybe you could fabricate something a little more flexible and discrete for them as they will always be run as a rake? That way curves shouldn't be and issue. 

It wasn't the fact that they were hard to build, they are actually pretty easy and turned out pretty nice in the end, it was excess flash and having to remove small pieces of material to get things to fit properly on the one I had. Maybe they aren't all the same. I certainly didn't feel like I was building something that went together well. The NGS kit's I have on the other hand are superb and can't recommend their stuff enough.

As for the couplings maybe you could fabricate something a little more flexible and discrete for them as they will always be run as a rake? That way curves shouldn't be and issue. 

Yes may look into an alternative coupling design in the future as going to hopefully have 2 rakes but will stick with the current design and possibly investigate once the Wigan Exhibition is out of the way.

I did manage to test run them last night using 2 Dapol mk3's as weight/loco substitute to provide momentum as I had no power to the track. All ran ok so far, I will add a small amount of weight, possibly lead sheet to form a false floor in the container so they can be run empty.

post-6834-0-51352800-1468583760_thumb.jpg

Also started to build up the undergrowth on the redundant siding which terminates just after the CLC bridge.

The local 08 heads up to Dallam with the trip working whilst the HST slows for its Warrington stop passing over the recently ballasted stretch of track.

post-6834-0-67839400-1468583895_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

That picture of the HST and 08 looks spot on. It has that WCML feel if you know what I mean, and capturing that has given the layout a great sense of accuracy. Would be nice to see this and the WBQ OO layout of another thread at a show together! Great local interest.

Well done,

John

• Like 2

That picture of the HST and 08 looks spot on. It has that WCML feel if you know what I mean, and capturing that has given the layout a great sense of accuracy. Would be nice to see this and the WBQ OO layout of another thread at a show together! Great local interest.

Well done,

John

Hi John,

Thanks, I need to dig some of the ac locos out for some pics.

Bit more scenic work progressed again today. Buffer stops added to the three sidings in the yard. The one nearest the mainline was used for shunting the RMT at times I believe. Work on all the embankments has continued, however now running low on material so things may slow slightly.

The whole layout has also been given a good hoover to remove all the excess scenic materials.

post-6834-0-43496400-1468604538_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 13

Hi Simon,

It would seem you are really motoring along with Dallam now.  What a difference having some green down makes and adding those OLE masts brings the place to life.  Superb, keep going and please don't stop providing us with the updates too :D

Cheers

Lee

Hi Mark, Lee,

Thanks for your comments, its much appreciated.I am glad you are enjoying the progress. I am feeling alot better about progress now the scenics are going down.

Made a start on painting the hardstanding outside the warehouse. I have scribed the plaster to represent how it is laid in sections, this will allow a dirty top wash to highlight the lines if that makes sense.

This is the first wash of Humbrol 121 as a base, you can just make out the lines in this picture (apologies about the camera phone pic). Quite a few different shades of washes will be applied to represent marks made by the trucks etc.

post-6834-0-85409300-1468690267_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4