Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Looks great Simon - I wont be at Wigan this year as I'm working in California and don't get back until the Saturday afternoon unfortunately.

Thanks Dave, pity you will miss Wigan but California hey!

Thanks for posting those pictures, very useful.

Did not have a 37 available in the garage so 60078 worked 6F16 07.55 Dallam to Arpley taken from the other side of Folly Lane bridge.

post-6834-0-67998900-1473632666_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Absolutely fantastic. I'm from Warrington so I have a keen interest in this masterpiece. Will it be going to any shows? If so I'll try and get myself down.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, its at the Wigan Exhibition 1st & 2nd October located at the Robin Park Sports and Tennis Centre opposite the DW stadium. See herehttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111124-wigan-exhibition-1st-2nd-october-2016/page-1

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I am helping out on Saturday so will be finding time to have a look at this layout. I live in Westbrook so Dallam is on my doorstep.

Here's a picture of 6201, Princess Elizabeth taken at Dallam. It is heavily cropped, but I've got the original for a wider view if you want to see it.

[/url]14711383582_5d34898a2f_b.jpg

Edited by 44690
  • Like 5

Cracking picture of 6201, thanks for posting. Tonight on my workbench aka kitchen table, 2 of the Farish Class 20's are approaching painting stage.

Although they are the old version, with the cab windows opened up they don't look too bad and this pair cost approx £60 in total, one was I think £20 as someone had already removed the motor. Here they are warts and all.

post-6834-0-75960100-1473714292_thumb.jpg

I am using the C Rail PFA wagons as barriers for the time being.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Got another good few hours in tonight. Chris has started to install the palisade fencing which does help set the scene and era.

Here is a small section completed at the front of the layout.

post-6834-0-85665800-1473806125_thumb.jpg

The DRS class 20's have also received a coat of white primer followed by yellow airbrushed onto the ends.

post-6834-0-03273800-1473806065_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 15

Thanks Al. Will be at Stafford in 2018 if thats any better?

Tonight the basic spraying of the main colours for the DRS livery on the 2 class 20's has been completed. Need the bufferbeams painting red, detail picking out, transfers applying and glazing etc.

Only another 2 or 3 to do at somepoint plus could do with a 37/6 also.

Here they are on the flasks heading south.

post-6834-0-23883000-1473893860_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Hi Simon,

Really enjoy seeing your layout progress, it seems to have come on quickly and is looking stunning. Shame I can't make Wigan as its always a cracking show as would really like to see this. I came across a photo in an old copy of Rail magazine recently and thought of this as its so recognisable and had a good photo of the wagon Russel used for off loading containers but Beast has a good photo of it to with the empty trailers lined up. I do like the Brady,s lorry from my home town, one of the last they had before they folded. Hope the first show goes well

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Really enjoy seeing your layout progress, it seems to have come on quickly and is looking stunning. Shame I can't make Wigan as its always a cracking show as would really like to see this. I came across a photo in an old copy of Rail magazine recently and thought of this as its so recognisable and had a good photo of the wagon Russel used for off loading containers but Beast has a good photo of it to with the empty trailers lined up. I do like the Brady,s lorry from my home town, one of the last they had before they folded. Hope the first show goes well

Mark

Thanks Mark, think I will need to scratch build one of those container crane trailers in the near future.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

The 20's are coming along nicely mate. A 37 would certainly be a nice little addition too, I think Farish may have released a DRS 37 but I'm not sure.

They have indeed, in compass livery, it's a nice model.

Layout continues to look great, hope to see it some time.

Thanks for the comments guys. Bit more done on the 20's, first coat applied to buffer beams, wipacs picked out in black. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive.

Here they are on 7K73 Sellafield to Crewe. Think the numbers I had selected were 20302 & 303.

post-6834-0-85701000-1473955485_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Thanks for the comments guys. Bit more done on the 20's, first coat applied to buffer beams, wipacs picked out in black. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive.

Here they are on 7K73 Sellafield to Crewe. Think the numbers I had selected were 20302 & 303.

attachicon.gif2016-09-15 17.00.38.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Looking good, just a note if you are doing 20302 & 20303, just be careful as these locos have a strip that runs across the end under the cab windows (only 02/03/04 have this I believe).

post-13109-0-26540400-1473973430_thumb.jpg

Also worth noting is that the handrails on 20302 run the whole length of the bodyside where as on 20303 (and 01/04/05 for that matter) the run upto the fuel tank only

https://flic.kr/p/jg1UNN

Shame I won't make Wigan.

Wild Boar Fell

Looking good, just a note if you are doing 20302 & 20303, just be careful as these locos have a strip that runs across the end under the cab windows (only 02/03/04 have this I believe).

attachicon.gifWildboar livery_Class 20 Type 1 c markup.jpg

Also worth noting is that the handrails on 20302 run the whole length of the bodyside where as on 20303 (and 01/04/05 for that matter) the run upto the fuel tank only

https://flic.kr/p/jg1UNN

Shame I won't make Wigan.

Wild Boar Fell

Hi,

The rails under the windscreen I think must have been added around 2003, in the pictures I have used for 2001 they were not fitted. The bodyside handrails were left as being diecast metal they may have been tricky to cut away and ensure the bodyside is smooth all the way along.

Cheers

Simon

Managed to progress the DRS 20's a bit more today. A coat of Johnsons Klear (original) was added to each body and once dried the DRS transfers were applied. A couple will probably need a coat of Microsol to soften. Once happy a coat of satin varnish will follow then glazing and bufferbeam detail on the lead loco.

Here they are heading South viewed from Bewsey Road overbridge.

post-6834-0-05546300-1474152546_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Just booked our train ticket to Wigan. Looking forward to seeing the layout.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Great, look forward to seeing you.

With the Exhibition nearly here and counting down the days, I have realised that the actual idea for the layout was around the last weekend in September 2013 - 3 years ago! The time has gone nowhere since then and certainly the last 12 months have been pretty much full on and there is still alot to do following Wigan and to get ready for Stafford in 2018 (rolling stock, detailing work etc)!

On returning from Wigan, a think a good clear out in my garage is required and also sort out all the modelling tools and material which are scattered all over the place. When thats done, a previous 4 mm Scottish late 80's layout myself and Chris exhibited called Strathmuir will be set up and generally given a good clean, tidy the scenics and hopefully have it ready for Wigan 2017. Apart from building an extra set of lights, there should not be a lot required to get it up and running, it had been set up in my garage prior to Dallam  and was working then. Its last show was December 2004, the plan was to extend the layout but this never happened and then a loss of club rooms, the layout was put into storage.

Here is a brief shot of part of Strathmuir 4mm 1988:

post-6834-0-26235300-1474378948_thumb.jpg

As work on this starts I will start a seperate thread.

Anyhow back to Dallam and hopefully a few nights worth of train and layout testing can be had prior to taking down ready for Wigan.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Well finally managed to start testing the layout fully tonight. It did not go without an incident or 2, for example me sending a HST into the rear of a full length push pull rake in the fiddleyard and then moments later nearly doing the same with the HST and a nuclear flask train.

One Peco point was found to be faulty in the fiddleyard, it was not switching the frog in either direction, this point has now been replaced. I also found a few dead sections again in the fiddleyard were for some reason I had not attached any droppers, again an easy fix. Apart from these minor issues it ran quite well.

Here are a couple of clips from tonight.

Mk3 Push Pull and XC services pass

Layout overview with HST and RES 86

Also Chris has completed some more scenic work on the front, this is a temporary measure to cover an area were there should be a hard standing and building. As the building will not be completed in time, this seemed the best option.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10