RMweb

Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

That hard standing looks superb.

My tip would be - don't overdo it with the vehicle markings. And use a paler grey than you think you should. One of the scenic errors I made on Horseley Fields was (in my view) over-egging the tyre marks on various areas of hard standing. It still grates when I look at it. I will maybe get around to altering it, but so much around them is acceptable that this may never happen.

I was certainly a lot more cautious with the road surfaces on the extension.

Cheers

Ben A.

A little bit more scenic work progressed tonight with Chris's help on some of the embankments, small trees added etc. Positioned some more stock to get a feel of how it should look when being operated.

Here a Glasgow to Euston working speeds south, not booked to stop at Warrington. A class 158 on the Manchester to Llandudno service is slowing for its Warrington stop whilst a Class 86 hauled Cross Country service heads north. In the background the Dallam trip loco shunts VGAs.

post-6834-0-40944500-1469137170_thumb.jpg

The rear end of the Glasgow to Euston service has 87019 pushing with 90004 DIT as a positioning move.

The rake of mixed open wagons in the sidings are from an engineers working.

post-6834-0-07772200-1469137473_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 17

A view from Bewsey Road looking south shows a pair of Freightliner 86's heading north L.E Basford Hall to Coatbridge. The small trees/bushes have been added in the foreground using Woodlands clump foliage and various bits of scatter. The embankment in the background is being progressed, more small trees to add and bushes.

post-6834-0-56767900-1469179317_thumb.jpg

10 weeks to go!!!! :O

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Simon.

I went to the trouble of etching my own fencing for BoT as I need about 5ft of it for the area in front of the old brewery at the back. Heres my etch that I did in stainless for durability. The little grilles are actually nothing to do with the fence they are 4mm scale class 58 cabside grilles.

attachicon.gif20150918_111037.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread Simon......

Cav.....any chance you could do an OO Gauge version of this? I need about 15 feet of the stuff and it'll cost me a fortune from PH!!

Cheers

Mike

Sorry to hijack your thread Simon......

Cav.....any chance you could do an OO Gauge version of this? I need about 15 feet of the stuff and it'll cost me a fortune from PH!!

Cheers

Mike

No probs Mike, have you looked at Knightwing at all? They are currently offering triple packs of plastic Palaside fencing for £23.99 which covers approx 73 inches. This does include a number of gates though. Etched will probably be finer though I suppose!

Cheers

Simon

Managed to get a full length picture of the layout earlier. Taken on my phone but hopefully it will give you an idea of how the overall layout will look.

post-6834-0-93920700-1469222305_thumb.jpg

The embankment in the foreground needs quite a bit of scenic work yet and the plate sides on the bridge need painting and fitting correctly.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 19

Wow!!!!

Looking simply awesome! I think of many of the great 'modern image' (ish) layouts such as Bee Lane for example and this is right up there with the best of them regardless of the difference in scale. I know you have lots of work to do, but I'm sure others will agree that one can already see and envision what the finished product will be like. Can't wait!

Super effort,

John

Simon,

Dallam is looking absolutely superb.  I guess with n gauge you can really create a feeling of space around the railway and making the railways part of the surrounding land rather then just a few tracks with some scenery thrown in for good measure.

Totally stunning work.  Thanks for sharing and I do hope to see Dallam at a show.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate them. I am glad you are enjoying the posts. That is one thing I wanted to achieve with Dallam was the possibility of running full length trains in plenty of scenery.

Here is a similar view from my previous post but from the opposite end. Looks odd with the lack of OHLE.

post-6834-0-84913500-1469298695_thumb.jpg

Today I have managed to get 2 more headspans completed, this gives a grand total of 5 - only approx 9 more to make.

post-6834-0-54886600-1469298816_thumb.jpg

These have been made the same as the previous 3 by using 2mm brass H section, steel Guitar wire, brass wire and Sommerfeldt insulators. Only got enough parts to make one more. Will probably get these painted whilst awaiting more material. Going to make a couple of spares also to cover any future damage.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

I like the impressive size of the warehouse building- too often, such buildings on models look too small to merit a rail connection.

The prototype sidings at Dallam featured in one of the magazines this week; they're been used to unload block trains of stone from the Peak District.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Decided to start on painting the 5 completed headspans. They have had 2BA bolts soldered on to mount into the baseboard. They are all set at the same position with regards the mounting bolts which makes them interchangeable.

Here are the 5 fitted loosely to a scrap piece of ply to allow spraying and painting. Just received a coat of Halfords primer. Prior to spraying they were cleaned up using some white spirit to remove any grease etc.

post-6834-0-27347500-1469369843_thumb.jpg

Once painting is complete, they can be fitted into position. Will start at the CLC bridge and work North.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys. No contact wires just yet, if you look at the size of the layout, that will be a project in itself. Not ruled it out but at the moment it will need to wait till I have got more done on the layout and more stock sorted. So it will just be headspans for the time being.

The 5 headspans have now been painted and the first was planted into position a short time ago. The bedding in needs to be fully sorted yet to ensure all is level.

post-6834-0-27374400-1469392832_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Thanks for the comments guys. Bit more done with the OHLE headspans tonight. 5 have been loosely fitted in position, they just need the height checking, checking for squareness and then be glued down. All have 2BA brass bolts soldered to the base of the mast so no more need for Blutac in photos! Will probably bed them in fully once happy all scenics are done.

Here is progress so far.

86425 heads north between the CLC bridge and Bewsey Road overbridge.

post-6834-0-76648100-1469480646_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-21237400-1469480672_thumb.jpg

More brass H section and Sommerfeldt insulators ordered today to cover the remaining headspans including a few spare. Got some points to pick up tomorrow for the fiddleyard and also finally joined the N Gauge Society.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 15

Evening,

The OHLE headspans are continuing, 4 more now built and ready for cleaning then paint and drop into position. Over the next few days I am going to make a start on the fiddleyard. Tonight all the material, tools and rubbish were tidied up in the fiddleyard. Temptation got the better of me and a temporary single line link was added linking both ends of the down fast together.

The first train to complete a circuit of the layout was 86425 on a mixed rake of XC MK2's.Here it is in the fiddleyard.

post-6834-0-05003200-1469740112_thumb.jpg

Pleased to report no derailments or problems on the first circuit.

The temporary line continuing to the other end.

post-6834-0-13914800-1469740200_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10