Is an OO Dalek do-able on a 3D printer ?

I know this a a basic question but please bear with me.

At our exhibition 2 weeks ago a lovely youngster with severe autism noticed we had a model of the third Doctors car (Betsie) on our layout and spent 45 minutes providing me with all the info I will ever need on Dr Who.

He also thought it would be great if we had the Daleks invading the layout against the mighty John Pertwee - so did I !

There are no off-the-shelf 4mm Daleks available but today at ExpoNG I saw 3D printing for the first time and I wondered is the process really as simple as obtaining a CAD drawing and finding a company prepared to print me a batch of 20-30?

How detailed would the CAD design need to be bearing in mind that at 20mm high (ish) for the finished product I am looking at a representation of the tableau rather than a microscopically perfect Dalek?

Adapting a figure for the Doctor is well within my capabilities but time restraints prevent me scratch building a squadron of his arch-enemies.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

There's this one available on shapeways, but it might be a little too big at 3.7 cm tall ( maybe better for O gauge )

How big is a dalek anyway?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/399819/dalek.html?li=search-results&materialId=28

20 to 30 of them is gonna come out a bit pricey at 22 Euros each...

There's this one available on shapeways, but it might be a little too big at 3.7 cm tall ( maybe better for O gauge )How big is a dalek anyway?http://www.shapeways.com/model/399819/dalek.html?li=search-results&materialId=2820 to 30 of them is gonna come out a bit pricey at 22 Euros each...

A Dalek is around 5' to 5'6" so about 20-22mm in OO

It should be doable, but I'd be wary of the copyright, Terry Nation's estate/BBC take it very seriously.

I hadn't thought of that but there are fan sites where CAD files are freely available as users have built life size & scale Daleks and shared their work apparently without issue.

Also, would the lack of detail in my proposed item render copyright infringement less likely?

I hadn't thought of that but there are fan sites where CAD files are freely available as users have built life size & scale Daleks and shared their work apparently without issue.

Also, would the lack of detail in my proposed item render copyright infringement less likely?

The key point there is freely available. It's when you start selling the you're more likely to run into issues.

• RMweb Gold

How about this? I seem to remember (from a long time ago) games workshop did miniatures and I found one here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Workshop-Dr-Doctor-Who-Dalek-Miniature-Figure-Lot-268-/380745136972?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item58a62dbb4c

I seem to think it could be the right height. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any on the GW site but you could always keep an eye out on ebay.

3D printing seems way-too costly for a batch of relatively simple shapes in repetition!

I wonder if it might be simpler/cheaper to carve a single detailed example of the Dalek 'chassis' (sans toilet plunger/exterminator) as a 'plug' and use it to cast a *latex rubber mould, so as to be able to pour- cast further ones in batch production using resin as a matrix....adding the detail of the sticky-out bits after they come out of the mould.

*Same principle as used years ago for low-cost gnomes and war-gaming figures.

As an alternative: a plaster mould (as two half-sides) might be used to cast a whitemetal version which could include the plunger and exterminator built in.

How about this? I seem to remember (from a long time ago) games workshop did miniatures and I found one here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Workshop-Dr-Doctor-Who-Dalek-Miniature-Figure-Lot-268-/380745136972?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item58a62dbb4c

I seem to think it could be the right height. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any on the GW site but you could always keep an eye out on ebay.

As a GW figure it will stand around 26mm high - a little overweight - but at £6 each minimum much too expensive for my plan of 20+ unfortunately

3D printing seems way-too costly for a batch of relatively simple shapes in repetition!

I wonder if it might be simpler/cheaper to carve a single detailed example of the Dalek 'chassis' (sans toilet plunger/exterminator) as a 'plug' and use it to cast a *latex rubber mould, so as to be able to pour- cast further ones in batch production using resin as a matrix....adding the detail of the sticky-out bits after they come out of the mould.

*Same principle as used years ago for low-cost gnomes and war-gaming figures.

As an alternative: a plaster mould (as two half-sides) might be used to cast a whitemetal version which could include the plunger and exterminator built in.

I don't know how expensive this project might be as 3D printing project in a price per model basis.

Resin casting is an option I suppose but there is also an unknown cost aspect in relation to this as it is a skill set I do not possess and although creating a master figure is something I could do, the rubber & latex casting is something I would have to learn & invest in for materials.

...........creating a master figure is something I could do, the rubber & latex casting is something I would have to learn & invest in for materials.

Corax

If you are in London, it might be worth a visit to

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/

The shop is a block or two west of Tottenham Court Rd. The staff are enthusiasts themselves (although not in railways) and are usually quite happy to explain how to use the materials.

Best wishes

Eric

Most of the time bad spelling or grammar does not bother me, however in this case I was for some time thinking 'how on earth will the sails of a windmill look like a Dalek?', until I realised you meant take the sails off Allan's windmill and use the windmill!! A perfect example of how an error can completely change the sentence meaning.

Most of the time bad spelling or grammar does not bother me, however in this case I was for some time thinking, 'How on earth will the sails of a windmill look like a Dalek?', until I realised you meant take the sails off Allan's windmill and use the windmill!! A perfect example of how an error can completely change the sentence meaning.

Plenty of Dalek models in the Sketchup warehouse

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=dalek&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Search&reps=1

if you want to try and print your own model. They will probably need some work to make them printable.

Top man :)

There are several that have printable files as part of the download so I will have a thorough look tomorrow

Archived