Bachmann Spares/service Dept

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

a BIG BIG thumbs up to the Bachmann service/spares dept.

I Recently bought a Tornado model (dont tell everyone) and upon checking it i found one of the cylinder covers was missing.

A quick email to Bachmann and low and behold a new part arrived this morning A DAY LATER.

No charge which is a plus

so full makes to Bachmann

cheers

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always had good service for them, once for a set of 08 wheelsets (where the guy responding to my query, even knew to ask what colour rods I needed) and some air tanks for a peak.

Hi all,

a BIG BIG thumbs up to the Bachmann service/spares dept.

I Recently bought a Tornado model (dont tell everyone) and upon checking it i found one of the cylinder covers was missing.

A quick email to Bachmann and low and behold a new part arrived this morning A DAY LATER.

No charge which is a plus

so full makes to Bachmann

cheers

Simon

Hi, i have also had excellent service when ordering spares from Bachmann, unlike Hornby who have failed to respond to three E-mails for spares.

I've dealt with them a couple of times, and I agree the service has always been good. Once they despatched the wrong part by mistake, but they despatched the right part the day after after I notified them. They've even sent, free of charge, replacement parts for a locomotive that I bought secondhand cheaply with issues (split driving gear). That's good service.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I sent an E-mail to Bachmann on Saturday,enquiring about parts for a Class 20 & received an answer this morning.I also sent an E-Mail to Hornby for a part for an 08 on the 8th & 17th,I received a reply on the 26th.Bachmanns reply gave me the cost of the parts & were very helpful.Hornbys reply was that they were sorry for the delay in answering (3 weeks) and that they did not supply parts to the general public .They suggested that I try East Kent Models which I had already done,along with Abbigails,Models4U & E-bay.E-mailed them back on 26th,but I am not holding my breath.I know which company I would rather deal with!!.

MickD.

Hi,

I sent an E-mail to Bachmann on Saturday,enquiring about parts for a Class 20 & received an answer this morning.I also sent an E-Mail to Hornby for a part for an 08 on the 8th & 17th,I received a reply on the 26th.Bachmanns reply gave me the cost of the parts & were very helpful.Hornbys reply was that they were sorry for the delay in answering (3 weeks) and that they did not supply parts to the general public .They suggested that I try East Kent Models which I had already done,along with Abbigails,Models4U & E-bay.E-mailed them back on 26th,but I am not holding my breath.I know which company I would rather deal with!!.

MickD.

I experienced similar response from Hornby when I found issues with my class 31 chassis. My dissatisfaction with the response I got meant it was moved on and replaced by a Bachmann 25.

Guest Illustrious37

Hi,

MickD.

I too have had a few dealing with bachmanns service department. They are excellent all round - I've bought a few spares from them, even with obscure parts which aren't listed on service sheets they have managed to supply the parts. Sadly the same can't be said for Hornby, when I couldn't get a class 50 spare from any of the usual sources their responce was as above try East Kent Models, Abbigails and Models4u even though I pointed out that didn't have the parts. On a second attempt (by telephoning) they said they didn't supply spares direct and they didn't know when they would have the spare as they don't know what is being sent from china. I generally don't buy Hornby models now just because of the lack of support, given they charge more you'd have thought their support would have been slightly better.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi 37114/David,

I dont know how they can call it service!!!.you buy an expensive Loco and then cant run it for lack of spares,(Im glad they dont sell cars).

After waiting 3 weeks for a reply,and none of their stockists being able to supply I have reluctantly got rid of the offending Loco.When I rang East Kent Models was told Hornby didnt supply China Made spares.??

MickD.

Hi 37114/David,

I dont know how they can call it service!!!.you buy an expensive Loco and then cant run it for lack of spares,(Im glad they dont sell cars).

After waiting 3 weeks for a reply,and none of their stockists being able to supply I have reluctantly got rid of the offending Loco.When I rang East Kent Models was told Hornby didnt supply China Made spares.??

MickD.

Very strange - East Kent are one of the view places that have both Margate and China Hornby spares. While they break models for large components (such as chassis and bodies), they do have smaller parts, and if they don't will contact Hornby to order them.

As an example of their diligence , I needed a couple of chassis bottom plates for a revised Hornby MN (post DCC ready, no sprung drivers). They supplied the original part (sprung drivers), upon which I advised that the design had changed (having quoted the revised ref on the service sheet). they acknowledged this, but said Hornby denied all knowledge initially, but assured me they'd keep working on it. 6 months later, parts arrived, obviously specially ordered.

Had you not disposed of the loco, I'd say try EKM again, you must have got an off day, but quote the service sheet ref number. I don't think they can’t get spares that are not quoted on the service sheet.

• 1 month later...

I emailed the service dept last friday (14/5/10) reference some detail items missing from a few intermodals I bought, received replacement items in post this morning (17/5/10) - super service made even better by Royal Mail as the package was 2nd class posted 15/5/10

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

In desperation I e-mailed Bachmann for a spare oval buffer from my Farish Class 20 D8000 (presumably loose and then vacuumed up); within a week a replacement has arrived with no charge. Another big thumbs up to the guys and gals at Barwell!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Credit where its due:

Emailed Bachmann on Tuesday afternoon - I need a pair of cab steps for an 08. Reply within 10 minutes, then a quick confirmation of parts required, paid by Paypal.

Parts arrived in post today. £5 post paid.

I think that's pretty good service.

Les

Same, can only say good things about their spares, I brought an old A1 model damaged, which I have repainted, the window glazing in the cab had gone which were damaged by glue, didn't;t think Bachmann would have it, a quick email and they surprised me by having the full glazing set. Although they only sent the side ones they are sending the front ones to follow on, but all credit to Bachmann great service.

• 1 year later...

I'm afraid my recent experience with Bachmann service is not very positive.

I have a class 66 which is a few years old. I emailed them asking if it was possible to retro-fit the newer type wheel bogies (with better pickups) from more recent class 66 model to my old one. Yes, they, said, no problem, and gave me a quote. I said I also wanted them to service the loco and re-attach LED wires  to the PCB. All no problem.

I sent them the loco along with a class 150 which needed a new lighting board. Both locos had DCC decoders fitted.

I got a phone call a few weeks later saying they'd done the class 150 but couldn't work on the class 66. 

Me: why?

BS: because it's been modified.

Me: I don't think it has

BS: you've hard-wired a decoder

Me: no I haven't. It's a TCS 8-pin decoder fitted to the 8-pin socket

BS: [puts me on hold] ... oh, you're right, but we still can't work on it

Me: why not?

BS: look I don't make the rules, we are not allowed to work on modified locos

Me: but it's not modified, it's just had a decoder fitted 

BS: you're supposed to remove the decoder before you send it in

I started to explain that I'd sent two locos, both with decoders fitted, and the other one had been fixed, so that can't be right. A few words into that he said "Look you're obviously not listening, would you like to speak to my manager?" I hadn't asked to speak to a manager but I said OK.

BS: we can't work on your loco

BS: because it's been modified

Me: It's just had a decoder fitted, by all means remove it

BS: there are wires everywhere

Me: there are two wires from the decoder to a keepalive unit, all the other wires are standard

BS: there are wires loose

Me: That's the fault I want you to fix!

BS: we can't work on it because it's been modified

Me: by fitting a decoder?

BS: and a keepalive

Me: so it's the keepalive that's the problem?

BS: and the general condition

Me: what does that mean?

BS: look I'm sorry but we are not going to work on this loco

Me: because of the keepalive?

Me: if I remove the decoder and the keepalive will you work on it then?

BS: I'm sorry but we're not going to work on this loco

Me: OK, but please explain why. If I remove the decoder and the keepalive unit, will you work on it then?

BS: Let me put you on hold

[long pause]

BS: we don't have that PCB in stock

Me: why do you need a PCB?

BS: because wires have come loose from it

Me: so rather than re-attach the wires you'd replace the PCB?

BS: yes

If they don't want to work on a loco that's entirely up to them, of course. But I'd love to know what the actual reason was.

I'm afraid my recent experience with Bachmann service is not very positive.

I have a class 66 which is a few years old. I emailed them asking if it was possible to retro-fit the newer type wheel bogies (with better pickups) from more recent class 66 model to my old one. Yes, they, said, no problem, and gave me a quote. I said I also wanted them to service the loco and re-attach LED wires  to the PCB. All no problem.

I sent them the loco along with a class 150 which needed a new lighting board. Both locos had DCC decoders fitted.

I got a phone call a few weeks later saying they'd done the class 150 but couldn't work on the class 66. 

BS: because it's been modified.

Me: I don't think it has

BS: you've hard-wired a decoder

Me: no I haven't. It's a TCS 8-pin decoder fitted to the 8-pin socket

BS: [puts me on hold] ... oh, you're right, but we still can't work on it

Me: why not?

BS: look I don't make the rules, we are not allowed to work on modified locos

Me: but it's not modified, it's just had a decoder fitted 

BS: you're supposed to remove the decoder before you send it in

I started to explain that I'd sent two locos, both with decoders fitted, and the other one had been fixed, so that can't be right. A few words into that he said "Look you're obviously not listening, would you like to speak to my manager?" I hadn't asked to speak to a manager but I said OK.

BS: we can't work on your loco

Me: It's just had a decoder fitted, by all means remove it

BS: there are wires everywhere

Me: there are two wires from the decoder to a keepalive unit, all the other wires are standard

BS: there are wires loose

Me: That's the fault I want you to fix!

BS: we can't work on it because it's been modified

Me: by fitting a decoder?

BS: and a keepalive

Me: so it's the keepalive that's the problem?

BS: and the general condition

Me: what does that mean?

BS: look I'm sorry but we are not going to work on this loco

Me: because of the keepalive?

Me: if I remove the decoder and the keepalive will you work on it then?

BS: I'm sorry but we're not going to work on this loco

Me: OK, but please explain why. If I remove the decoder and the keepalive unit, will you work on it then?

BS: Let me put you on hold

[long pause]

BS: we don't have that PCB in stock

Me: why do you need a PCB?

BS: because wires have come loose from it

Me: so rather than re-attach the wires you'd replace the PCB?

BS: yes

If they don't want to work on a loco that's entirely up to them, of course. But I'd love to know what the actual reason was.

Coincidentally I had cause to deal with Bachmann's service department today; a quick response to an email and they confirmed what they'd got, a phone call to pay for it and the items are on their way to me within an hour or so of asking the initial question. Quite happy.

In light of that and reading your post I sought to find out how this had arisen or, as you say, what the actual reason was.

Your 66 (32-725DS), when it was in the catalogue in 2006 was a DCC Sound fitted product with a 21-pin socket and decoder which would have looked like this (a subsequent 32-726DS model).

32-726ds as should be.jpg

It would appear that the 21-pin socket and sound decoder had been removed and replaced with an 8-pin decoder and socket and looked like this when they received it. All factory-fitted DCC sound come with a seal, if you're buying a sound loco it's worth checking that it is still intact and not been tampered with.

wiring 2.jpg

That's very definitely not as supplied (it looks like I wired it up after a night on the sauce!); maybe you acquired it secondhand without realising how it differed from its original specification and finish? I think they were probably more polite and professional in their responses to you in not calling it as it evidently is.

I don't think it's fair to expect a manufacturer to take on the liability of working with an amateurish adaptation and the possible consequence of component damage for items which are not of the original specification. Also the PCB design has changed since that time and none of the original ones are available. What the loco really needs is completely electrically re-working, from scratch, by a professional DCC repair worker (rather than a manufacturer).

I understand that the loco has been returned to you and that the complete bogies were replaced rather than just the towers.

If you've recently bought it from someone in that state I'd go back to them and see where you stand but I would think that would probably be fruitless for a 11/12 year old model which is not of original specification.

At one time the Bachmann service department did ask that locos returned for repair had the decoders removed as they could not be held responsible if the decoder/chip was damaged

If it's a customer-fit decoder that still applies; if it's a factory-fitted DCC sound product it should be returned with the decoder intact.

• RMweb Gold

Coincidentally I had cause to deal with Bachmann's service department today; a quick response to an email and they confirmed what they'd got, a phone call to pay for it and the items are on their way to me within an hour or so of asking the initial question. Quite happy.

In light of that and reading your post I sought to find out how this had arisen or, as you say, what the actual reason was.

Your 66 (32-725DS), when it was in the catalogue in 2006 was a DCC Sound fitted product with a 21-pin socket and decoder which would have looked like this (a subsequent 32-726DS model).

attachicon.gif32-726ds as should be.jpg

It would appear that the 21-pin socket and sound decoder had been removed and replaced with an 8-pin decoder and socket and looked like this when they received it. All factory-fitted DCC sound come with a seal, if you're buying a sound loco it's worth checking that it is still intact and not been tampered with.

attachicon.gifwiring 2.jpg

That's very definitely not as supplied (it looks like I wired it up after a night on the sauce!); maybe you acquired it secondhand without realising how it differed from its original specification and finish? I think they were probably more polite and professional in their responses to you in not calling it as it evidently is.

I don't think it's fair to expect a manufacturer to take on the liability of working with an amateurish adaptation and the possible consequence of component damage for items which are not of the original specification. Also the PCB design has changed since that time and none of the original ones are available. What the loco really needs is completely electrically re-working, from scratch, by a professional DCC repair worker (rather than a manufacturer).

I understand that the loco has been returned to you and that the complete bogies were replaced rather than just the towers.

If you've recently bought it from someone in that state I'd go back to them and see where you stand but I would think that would probably be fruitless for a 11/12 year old model which is not of original specification.

Proof, if proof were needed that there are at least two sides to every story. 

I have had some excellent and speedy service from Bachmann of late.  Dave in particular has been very friendly and has helped me out with parts for some quite old models. Very interesting to read 'the other side' - I had in mind to ask if the faulty engine had been bought and owned from new.  Seems not.

Ray

Archived