RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The Peco Club Team has turned up with some players and equipment.

image.png.aa766c1223cc3b8590eaed83f6875d73.pngimage.png.227b27ec7b80d18dd39b2de8457696b2.png

He's run out?

Don't mention Botham!

... oh, whoops, too late.

In a desperate attempt to remain on topic, I better ask:

Are there any prototypical cricket grounds next to railways?

Old Trafford?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

SIX ! ...... no it's a thirty three, you idiot 🙄

The secondary school I was at had sports fields alongside the Water Orton-Walsall line, which was well-used for a variety of goods traffic at the time, with 25s, 47s, 56s, and 20s in pairs. I was the type who always got picked last for any team and in the cricket season I was put well out of the way near the boundary. This led to the nadir of my popularity. The ball was hefted in my direction. There was no hope that I would catch it, but was it a four or a six? I could not answer, as my attention had been distracted by a passing 25.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2022 at 21:15, KeithMacdonald said:

Perfect!

16a 331 Cricket

That picture reminds me of those "spot the ball" competitions that used to proliferate years ago. (It's not the white dot above the wicketkeeper - still only red balls used in club matches then.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The secondary school I was at had sports fields alongside the Water Orton-Walsall line, which was well-used for a variety of goods traffic at the time, with 25s, 47s, 56s, and 20s in pairs. I was the type who always got picked last for any team and in the cricket season I was put well out of the way near the boundary. This led to the nadir of my popularity. The ball was hefted in my direction. There was no hope that I would catch it, but was it a four or a six? I could not answer, as my attention had been distracted by a passing 25.

I can relate to this as my school grounds backed on to the Quarry Line. But even worse was that I could also lookout of several classrooms as well.

Keith

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wonder if anyone has managed to bounce a ball off the catenary?

No catenary down here, but at an away game I have seen a ball end up in the 6 foot at Wick (near Littlehampton, Southern Combination Division One). There is a big fence, but we had some rather 'agricultural' players that season...

image.png.407a8c660f318ddbcedd3f20b7e16442.png

In the Division above (SCFL Premier), the Brighton main line runs past Hassocks. Track is in a cutting, so you don't see much, but you certainly hear it.

image.png.fc15c3cf6929d928cbc8dea00aaedf05.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That picture reminds me of those "spot the ball" competitions that used to proliferate years ago. (It's not the white dot above the wicketkeeper - still only red balls used in club matches then.

Judging by the position of the bowler's delivery stride, somewhere invisible behind the nearest fielder!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, big jim said:

How about one in a triangle!

C5987BB4-4E34-40C4-AFA6-9ACE14D92010.jpeg.8247f5de5c0716876caaf22f9c76e35b.jpeg

Cricket and football pitches in Perry Barr 

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder if anyone has managed to bounce a ball off the catenary?

Having spent many hours as a child there in the 1960s watching the cricket (my dad played for the team), but also train-spotting, pre, during and post electrification I can vouch for the fact that many balls were lost (and sometimes recovered) on and across the railway lines although I don’t recall the catenary (or any trains) being hit!! It was great for train spotting, and particularly when WCML trains were diverted via Wolverhampton, Bescot, Aston, Stechford, Coventry at weekends whilst the Trent Valley section was being electrified.

Beyond the cricket pitch on the north-east side, next to the railway the archery club operated - I always gave it a wide berth but it always made me wonder if it was a little dangerous next to a railway track - the target boards were down in the south east corner so they fired adjacent to the oncoming north-westbound trains. In the area at the south east corner of the triangle was a railway served and operated water softening plant - there were manual signal boxes at the north west (replaced on electrification by the relay boxes seen in the Google image) and southern corners. I’m presuming access may have been gained by the signalmen via the edges of the cricket ground and across the boarded crossing - although I never saw that happen - if not via nearby over bridges (although I don’t recall pedestrian gates at either). 

Access (pedestrian) is gained via a boarded crossing of the south to north west arm of the triangle. I recall on one occasion a Stanier 8F hauled loaded ballast train which had been travelling on the southbound line was parked across the crossing for a period of hours, resulting in the entire pair of teams, supporters and ancillary staff (scorers, umpires etc) having to clamber over one of the ballast wagons - which at least had manual access at the end! 

Edited by MidlandRed
Compass point confusion….
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

On 26/11/2022 at 21:13, Wickham Green too said:

Well, the Great Central had to get very special permission to tunnel under Lord's !

That reminds me of the fuss at Plymouth Cricket Club (c.1940)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/HQ+building,+237+Union+St,+Stonehouse,+Plymouth+PL1+3HQ/@50.3675749,-4.1690489,318m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486c93430f5f9055:0x3f6c545ce1c74088!8m2!3d50.3691665!4d-4.1581045?hl=en

When "secret" tunneling underneath caused the cricket pitch to "sag".  There might have been a war on, but by George, some things are sacred!

image.png.5eb201145847bf1eadbc51bbcfca7e54.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another cricket ground next to a railway was Keswick, which unfortunately has lost it's railway but it was right next to the station which was on a higher level.:

keswick.JPG.eddfd290d76261194ccda0e4173e89d0.JPG

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=54.60365&lon=-3.13577&layers=168&b=1

It is also overlooked by Skiddaw and has been voted the lovliest cricket ground in England.

• Like 4

The former Peak Frean sports ground is next to the Dartford Loop between Lee and Mottingham where it crosses the A20. They have cricket pitches there.  For years, the sign was neglected and said Pea..Frean. These days it has been taken over by the Leathersellers Company - map from the NLS collection

image.png.23fb2e04489341c5502526d3a36b0adc.png

• Like 2