Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening Melmerby,

Spot on!

The area shown in the satellite photo/Google Earth view as Bedworth Leisure Centre is in what was formerly the Miners Welfare Park and the Bedworth Baths/Gym is the Leisure Centre.

The area below those words used to be a pitch and putt course, where I spent my Tuesday mornings whilst in the sixth form. It was that or proper exercise! The exchange sidings were to the East (right) of the park, where the line curved into the colliery branch.

Cheers, Nigel.

I worked for a few years at a firm right next to Hawkesbury Junction on the canal.

There was the trackbed of a railway running right alongside the unit.

It used to be the Wyken Coilliery Branch and Exhall footbridge was made from the girders of the bridge over the canal.

image.png.d1231a0f457826e07f373096b28128ec.pngIt's all houses now!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

Hello Melmerby,

Know it well.

When I went to Foxford School (other side of the M6) we used to call in at Sutton Stop, Hawkesbury Junction.

The old railway bridge was still in place when I started there in 1971. On Blackhorse Road there was also a Charringtons fuel depot right by Hawkesbury crossing and signal box.

As you say, all changed now.

Although the Greyhound pub is still there I believe and used to serve a damn fine pint of Bass 🙂

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

From Dave Sallery on Flickr, a TC-set seriously off-piste, and it’s not even a railtour

"On July 1st 1989 Network SouthEast ran an excursion from Wareham to Bangor formed of 33109 and two of the 4TC push pull sets"

A railtour is anything that isn't part of the normal passenger timetable, so an excursion to Bangor from NSE territory surely qualifies?

• Agree 2

B1 propelling 2 Pullmans on the Darnall triangle, it must be the Master Cutler stock.

One can only assume it's propelled them from Nunnery CS to Darnall West junction, pulled them down to Attercliffe junction, then crossed over and is propelling them back to Nunnery via Woodburn Junction 

Was it common certain parts of a rake to be turned in this fashion? 

PXL_20240315_221452657.MP.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The Carriage Working Notices specified not only the order of the coaches but which way round certain coaches should be e.g. restaurant coaches noted as 'kitchen north' or brake coaches 'brake van south' etc.

The example in the pic maybe more likely to happen in trains with portions and/or reversals en route.

Of course, it may be replacement coaches being prepared for formation due to a faulty coach or for maintenance etc.

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 hours ago, keefer said:

The Carriage Working Notices specified not only the order of the coaches but which way round certain coaches should be ...

At first sight we've got two identical Kitchen Cars with the kitchen ends coupled ............ but the all-steel vehicle leading will be a Kitchen First and the wooden-bodied one a Kitchen Third so positioning is probably important.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

A pain in the neck.

Back in the 13 era - 313 in 2013. Kate's not the only one to do dodgy Photoshop jobs. Yes, it was snapped at Lewes, but it was heading to Seaford.

Bus replacement service Seaford 26 9 2016 4net.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Hopefully there is something more substantial holding the track to gauge on the other side of these rails😬

A couple more spikes?🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 16/03/2024 at 21:46, Wickham Green too said:

At first sight we've got two identical Kitchen Cars with the kitchen ends coupled ............ but the all-steel vehicle leading will be a Kitchen First and the wooden-bodied one a Kitchen Third so positioning is probably important.

Some Kitchen 3rds were all steel.

Yes, but the roof details identify the First class car as a 1928 All-steel K car, whilst the third class is a standard K car with underframe trussing and wooden body.

John

4 hours ago, proton said:

Yes, but the roof details identify the First class car as a 1928 All-steel K car, whilst the third class is a standard K car with underframe trussing and wooden body.

John

Yes i see that, i built a lot of O gauge Westdale kits some twenty+ years ago and got really into them and all their detail differences. I remember that some the VSOE steel cars had a mock truss underframe for aesthetic reasons to mimic the older wooden bodies cars.

18 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Some Kitchen 3rds were all steel.

The window spacing of the All-Steel shouts 'First' to me - it's far tighter on the 'K' class.

Operationally, we have a main line propelling move without any specific accommodation for the Guard ....... fully vac. braked so fine from that point of view but is the chap who's nominally in charge of the train travelling on the - very comfortable - cushions or is he slumming it on the footplate !

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The window spacing of the All-Steel shouts 'First' to me - it's far tighter on the 'K' class.

Operationally, we have a main line propelling move without any specific accommodation for the Guard ....... fully vac. braked so fine from that point of view but is the chap who's nominally in charge of the train travelling on the - very comfortable - cushions or is he slumming it on the footplate !

I'd have thought he'd be in the leading vestibule giving handsignals to the driver?