Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, iands said:

A bit of a 'mare to get the connections/bonding right for the track circuits as well - one reason for simplifying the point work! 

I've an idea that there might not have originally been any track circuits through those complex bits of pointwork although they were motor points.  The 3 way in the Down Main Platform Line definitely originally had facing point lock bars and there's at least one outside bar visible on another point in that photo.  However later signal box views do show track circuiting through the pointwork.  There are a number of details pics on this page -

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birminghamsnowhill2.htm

Track wise it's Swindon Switch &. Crossing shop at its best.  and the north end of Snow Hill was certainly hemmed in what with Charles Street bridges plus various sidings in a relatively narrow site.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

I seem to recall that these trains used to run as a class 8 so probably 30-35mph. 

Thanks for that, it's bad enough on the tube so I cant imagine what a ride on them going much faster would be like! ;) 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've an idea that there might not have originally been any track circuits through those complex bits of pointwork although they were motor points.  The 3 way in the Down Main Platform Line definitely originally had facing point lock bars and there's at least one outside bar visible on another point in that photo.  However later signal box views do show track circuiting through the pointwork.  There are a number of details pics on this page -

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birminghamsnowhill2.htm

Track wise it's Swindon Switch &. Crossing shop at its best.  and the north end of Snow Hill was certainly hemmed in what with Charles Street bridges plus various sidings in a relatively narrow site.

Thanks Mike, 

I presumed lock bars would have been used originally, but wondered if the point work might have been rationalised a bit to aid (simplify) track circuit design/installation when the time came for wholesale use of track circuits. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am going to dig out the track plans (Historical Survey....) but as I recall there was a fair amount of space at that end of the station and it could have been laid out more simply with no loss of functionality.

IIRC the track drops a bit from that point (north signalbox) northwards to dip under Livery Street such that the sidings end up higher than the running lines.

gwrbsh1367.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am going to dig out the track plans (Historical Survey....) but as I recall there was a fair amount of space at that end of the station and it could have been laid out more simply with no loss of functionality.

From just north of the signal box to Livery Street bridge there were severe gradient changes. Not ideal if you actually want the points to work reliably.

I don't see anything holding that SB up apart from any structure behind the steps - I was looking for the strings!

Any movement from the line behind the sausages in a straight line across all the junctions is going to bung up the whole works...

4 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

I don't see anything holding that SB up apart from any structure behind the steps - I was looking for the strings!

Sky hooks!

4 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

Any movement from the line behind the sausages in a straight line across all the junctions is going to bung up the whole works...

Ladder crossings were rather notorious in this respect, and they were far from uncommon. The one north of Rugby station blocked everything except the Leicester line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Seen on Facebook today top n tail 91s on a mixed prentendolino, Greater Anglia and prototype HST livered rake of MK3s test on the ECML.

Sorry I'm unable to share the link

Fair few pics on Flickr:

054 068

(Click to go to Flickr photo page)

The 47 hauled the ensemble from Leicester where there are no wires...yet...

Jack.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2020 at 16:14, talisman56 said:

gwrbsh1670.jpg

Birmingham North Signal Box commissioned 31st October 1909. Replaced by the panel on the station in 1960.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1