Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, sir douglas said:

You are cheating.

That's a Hornby Track Mat.:jester:

Still laying the track bottom RH!

EDIT

What is it/was it?

It seems to be lots of unconnected lengths of track apart from an unelectrified link to the Metro

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

dunno i was just wandering around on google following the spiders web of disused lines after a video came up on youtube the other day about CP wanting the locals to remove their property from the trackbed on the Arbutus line years ago when they were thinking about re using or selling it, its now a very long grass lined cycle/footpath through the north suburbs "the Arbutus greenway"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

Why did the chicken cross the line?

hens on the line

Obviously to go to my mates mums house which is over crossing to the right! 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Fat Controller: And this is what happens to naughty engines...

Stationary Boilers at Blackpool Central 1962

Blackpool Central Stationary Boilers

No doubt someone can identify the locos:yes:

EDIT from caption:

Former Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Barton Wright 0-4-4 tanks 910 and 613

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

There were several of these around the northwest; they were still fairly new engines when superceded by John Aspinall's 2-4-2 radial tanks. I photographed this one by Edge Hill carriage sheds 12 July 1968.Despite the late survival, all were cut up soon after this date. 

L&Y 0-4-4T Downhill Sdgs 12-07-68_001.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, LMS2968 said:

There were several of these around the northwest; they were still fairly new engines when superceded by John Aspinall's 2-4-2 radial tanks. I photographed this one by Edge Hill carriage sheds 12 July 1968.Despite the late survival, all were cut up soon after this date. 

L&Y 0-4-4T Downhill Sdgs 12-07-68_001.JPG

Was much missing from them to restore as proper locos? 

• Like 1

Much was missing, but more so then than now, if you see what I mean. The main items were the driving wheels, but so too all the valve gear and, cab fittings. None of these would represent a problem now, but definitely did then, but that only works if restoring to working order. Restoration as a static exhibit would have been less problematical, and who knows, if one had been cosmetically restored then would it eventually have been returned to running order?

• Like 6

On 15/05/2020 at 03:28, sir douglas said:

On 15/05/2020 at 12:59, melmerby said:

What is it/was it?

It seems to be lots of unconnected lengths of track apart from an unelectrified link to the Metro

9 hours ago, sir douglas said:

dunno i was just wandering around on google following the spiders web of disused lines after a video came up on youtube the other day about CP wanting the locals to remove their property from the trackbed on the Arbutus line years ago when they were thinking about re using or selling it, its now a very long grass lined cycle/footpath through the north suburbs "the Arbutus greenway"

It's a maintenance depot for the Canada Line Skytrain cars:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EsG1jf2RQByrFjobA

(Zoom in on the sign.)

Here's another maintenance depot for Expo/Millennium line cars, with similar curves:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KQwYXxK5jdKhgHgG9

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That one even has a roundy roundy continuous run!

Skytrain is a completely automated (i.e. no driver) system on the running lines. Since it started in 1985 there has been no collision, to my knowledge, on a running line. (And any collision would have been covered to death in local media.) There have been, however, collisions in the maintenance depots while trains were being driven under manual control.

Edited by pH
Spelling - mine, not autocorrect!
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anyone's got round to forging a new crank axle in preservation ...... though one or two have been re-purposed from austerity saddle tanks for use in replicas, I believe. The time will come, though ..........

Hi Whickham,

Most crank axles as fitted to British locomotives are built up from stubs and machined billets that are specifically forged. The replica of Stephenson's Planet had a crank axle manufactured by Mitchell Shackleton of Patricroft, and while working at Riley and Son's of Bury I was involved in the repair of 6201's crank axle after its piston head failed some years back and also the manufacture of 60163's crank axle also.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

It's a maintenance depot for the Canada Line Skytrain cars:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EsG1jf2RQByrFjobA

(Zoom in on the sign.)

Here's another maintenance depot for Expo/Millennium line cars, with similar curves:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KQwYXxK5jdKhgHgG9

Interestingly the date of the satellite images is 13th June 2019 ( a Thursday)

One depot has trains and looks busy, the other is deserted.

Even  on Streetview the first one never has any trains

12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anyone's got round to forging a new crank axle in preservation ...... though one or two have been re-purposed from austerity saddle tanks for use in replicas, I believe. The time will come, though ..........

When K4 3442 was on the SVR it suffered a catastrophic failure which required it to be dragged very slowly back to Bridgnorth with the driving wheels wobbling all over the place, the cranks having moved on the axles, or the axles in the cranks, whichever way you want to put it. The crank axle was dismantled, repairs made and reassembled, and the engine returned to traffic.

When the A2 went into its uncontrolled slip, one of the driving wheels moved on the axle, I think the crank axle but not certain. But again, the damaged parts were dismantled, repaired and reassembled. Not perhaps building a new crank axle, but close.

Did the A1 Trust have a crank axle made for its engine and, presumably, the P2?

I don't know the method of construction when the Barton Wright 0-4-4Ts were build but I suspect that the crank axle was a one-piece solid forging, which admittedly requires some pretty big hammers!

* Ahrons says that Frank Webb applied the first built-up cranks to some of his three-cylinder Compounds in 1890, and a two-throw crank axle in 1895 for his some of the 0-8-0 compounds. Therefore, it's certain that the L&YR 0-4-4Ts definitely had forged, one-piece crank axles.

Edited by LMS2968
Additional Information
  • Like 1