Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

What I am learning is, if something doesn't work, don't spends ages trying to adjust (or bodge) it into shape; far easier to just replace it...

post-6677-0-03995000-1433880526_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-71917100-1433880523_thumb.jpg

Here my test wagon had run through ok, the 47 had a slight hiccup but was generally ok, but the 20 derailed every time.  Back to backs on the loco were ok, so I checked the gauge and found it to be a little too wide.  Shows the importance of testing with a variety of different stock.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

What I am learning is, if something doesn't work, don't spends ages trying to adjust (or bodge) it into shape; far easier to just replace it...

attachicon.gif18458800038_1cc1ce2e73_k.jpg

attachicon.gif18648845201_8e22b22ca1_o.jpg

Here my test wagon had run through ok, the 47 had a slight hiccup but was generally ok, but the 20 derailed every time.  Back to backs on the loco were ok, so I checked the gauge and found it to be a little too wide.  Shows the importance of testing with a variety of different stock.

A lot easier not to use the 20 Mark!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

This track lifting is strangely addictive.  It needed to get worse before it got better:

post-6677-0-33638500-1434660291_thumb.jpg

Basically, I think I had been a tad ambitious forming the two vees of the tandem as a single unit and alignment suffered as a result.  So I used a razor saw to cut away the first vee, then formed a new one of the required angle following Brian Harrap's "easy frogs" method.  First time I had used this approach, works really well.  The parts to be replaced resting on a fresh Templot template:

post-6677-0-97495800-1434660297_thumb.jpg

Loosely placed on the layout ready for installation (the alignment won't look right as here, for the purposes of the photo the recover parts from the old crossing are sitting on top of the newly formed vee), just a couple more rails to form and the old chairs to clear away:

post-6677-0-66156700-1434660294_thumb.jpg

Also, must remember not to place palm of hand on the tip of a hot soldering iron.

• Like 5