Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Gold

Cross dressing is when you're rushing to get ready and you catch your bits in a zip...

Which reminds me of the film - Something About Mary - brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it .....

• RMweb Premium

Some progress made earlier this evening:

post-6677-0-47481500-1434925664_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-67338400-1434925655_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-50690200-1434925646_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-63061300-1434925671_thumb.jpg

So far things are running much better, but will be giving it a thorough test with a mixture of different stock before adding the last few chairs and gluing everything in place.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can't put it off any longer, this layout needs a fiddle yard (well, two actually) so the layout has temporarily relocated to the garage to allow for some chopping, gluing, screwing and swearing to take place.

post-6677-0-28746100-1436724997_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-94331200-1436724999_thumb.jpg

EMGS baseboard alignment dowels, the bolts connect with captive thread inserts in the baseboard, so no nuts to lose, which should save some set up and break down time at shows.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The fiddle yard now has a top fitted, along with a couple of cross-members and numerous wooden blocks glued in place to keep it all together.

However, I'm not sure I'll get away with this height difference between the boards.

post-6677-0-99399900-1436995325_thumb.jpg

On Foundry Lane, I took the cassettes right up to the board joint between layout and fiddle yard.  This tended to create some alignment issues, so here there will be a short length of plain track to bridge the gap between board joint and start of the cassette. This is the current state of the bridging section:

post-6677-0-63999400-1436995323_thumb.jpg

Have spent the rest of the evening working out how is the best way to do the cassettes, to achieve the correct height, get good alignment and allow the locos to run round with minimal stock handling and faffing about (the fiddle yard at this end also forms one end of the loop).  Think I have an idea, but need to get some more aluminium angle to make sure my theory works in practice.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

More fiddle yard progress this afternoon.

post-6677-0-65339000-1437324606_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-11693600-1437324609.jpg

post-6677-0-03809100-1437324611_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-19563200-1437324613_thumb.jpg

Because there are two adjacent tracks I've had to use 11.5mm aluminium angle.  These drop into short lengths of larger (15.5mm) angle mounted on the wooden blocks, this should provide alignment and electrical continuity between the cassettes, hopefully.  Looks like it might actually work.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Being that you can't get your fingers in between the two cassettes, if both are in place then lifting will be difficult, are you therefore fitting handles to the cassettes in the shaped of an inverted "U"

Geoff

Good idea Geoff.

I'll probably need to do something like that, but I'm not sure how frequently both cassettes will be in place. I don't intend the loop to be signalled to allow trains to pass, it'll only be used as part of shunting moves (neither siding has trap points so the loop isn't going to see any passenger traffic).

I'll probably see how it goes at the first exhibition and take it from there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good idea Geoff.

I'll probably need to do something like that, but I'm not sure how frequently both cassettes will be in place. I don't intend the loop to be signalled to allow trains to pass, it'll only be used as part of shunting moves (neither siding has trap points so the loop isn't going to see any passenger traffic).

I'll probably see how it goes at the first exhibition and take it from there.

For the sake of a bit more Ali... I would add the inverted 'u's regardless of how infrequently Both would be in use.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Makes sense, will have a think about how to do it. Space between the two adjacent cassettes is pretty tight; I might have room for the aluminum, but probably not any fixings, so they'd need to attach to the underneath of the cassettes. Do have an idea, but time is in short supply and there are more urgent things to be getting on with at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you do go ahead - just make sure the inverted U is insulated from the cassette sides! :O

Another very good point, thanks. Without some way of lifting the the cassette the operator is likely to get a little shock from the DCC supply whenever a cassette is lifted and reinserted, so I do need to do something about that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another very good point, thanks. Without some way of lifting the the cassette the operator is likely to get a little shock from the DCC supply whenever a cassette is lifted and reinserted, so I do need to do something about that.

Gaffer tape...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scenic stuff. Mainly focusing on the warehouse and concrete loading/unloading area at the left hand end of the layout.

post-6677-0-10475300-1438033134_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-33717800-1438033137_thumb.jpg

This view won't be possible soon as there is a fence to go up which will (partly) hide the rear siding

post-6677-0-08621800-1438033143_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with the colour of the track here, although the brake van still needs a little more work.

post-6677-0-35224400-1438033140_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I seem to have run into a small problem fitting AJ couplings to VAA/VDA vans.  The bufferbeam is too deep to allow the coupling to sit at the correct height.  Currently weighing up whether to cut a small slot in the bufferbeam or try to form a U shape in the coupling wire that takes it below then back up to the correct height.

I seem to have run into a small problem fitting AJ couplings to VAA/VDA vans.  The bufferbeam is too deep to allow the coupling to sit at the correct height.  Currently weighing up whether to cut a small slot in the bufferbeam or try to form a U shape in the coupling wire that takes it below then back up to the correct height.

Mark

If you cut a slot for the wire then their will be no sideways movement of the coupling.

Create a small U shape in the wire to clear the bufferbeam,

Or mount it horizontally to just clear the buffer beam,then when clear of bufferbeam bend upwards to the correct height, the underside of the buffer beam keeping the wire to the correct height

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Geoff. Yes, good point, I was over looking the need for some sideways movement when coupling up. I didn't like the idea of cutting a slot anyway, that was one of the things which put me off using Spratt & Winkle couplings.

Something I always struggle with is bending the wire while keeping the orientation of the hook end correct. I'll have another look tonight.