Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

Bit of a mixed day. Good progress with the fiddle yards and giving everything a coat of paint to smarten the appearance.

Finally got the electromagnets wired to their switches (having spent an hour searching for the switches), but found that using the same power supply as the servos pushing the button for the magnet causes the servos to twitch. Looks like I need to get a separate power supply, but think we'll be uncoupling manually at S4um.

Second setback came from a loose connection in the LED lighting. I tried to repair it, but made a bit of a mess of it. Need to get some replacement parts from Maplin tomorrow.

Onwards and Upwards

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a mixed day. Good progress with the fiddle yards and giving everything a coat of paint to smarten the appearance.

Finally got the electromagnets wired to their switches (having spent an hour searching for the switches), but found that using the same power supply as the servos pushing the button for the magnet causes the servos to twitch. Looks like I need to get a separate power supply, but think we'll be uncoupling manually at S4um.

Second setback came from a loose connection in the LED lighting. I tried to repair it, but made a bit of a mess of it. Need to get some replacement parts from Maplin tomorrow.

Technology is great...

• RMweb Premium

You may have thought about this but on New Haden Colliery over the weekend at Expo Em North - out for the first time in DCC mode we had cassette problems we have not encountered before...

All the time you are handling the cassettes when they are located into the main line to the layout the cassette is LIVE..    That means that you get a shock..  Not a big one but if you get a small shock almost every time you try to do something it starts to get to you.  Now you can touch the track across the rails and you feel it but with the cassettes you are properly gripping them and the shock is across your fingers rather than hand to floor. 

Anyway a single layer of insulation tape down the outside of just one of the aluminium angles and folded over the top removed the problem completely.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You may have thought about this but on New Haden Colliery over the weekend at Expo Em North - out for the first time in DCC mode we had cassette problems we have not encountered before...

All the time you are handling the cassettes when they are located into the main line to the layout the cassette is LIVE..    That means that you get a shock..  Not a big one but if you get a small shock almost every time you try to do something it starts to get to you.  Now you can touch the track across the rails and you feel it but with the cassettes you are properly gripping them and the shock is across your fingers rather than hand to floor. 

Anyway a single layer of insulation tape down the outside of just one of the aluminium angles and folded over the top removed the problem completely.

Andy

I thought that the electric shocks were part of John's treatment...

• RMweb Premium

Anyway a single layer of insulation tape down the outside of just one of the aluminium angles and folded over the top removed the problem completely.

Yes, I came up with the same high tech solution to this with the cassettes on Foundry Lane; although your post reminded me to check I had enough tape to do the ones for this.

More insulation tape added to my shopping list for after work, along with more M6 bolts and another couple of phono plugs/sockets.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the double glazing!

Mike.

Funny you should say that, first task of today was a bit of glazing

post-6677-0-98907300-1442296401_thumb.jpg

Last night was mainly spent adding AJ hooks to the fleet of locos.  Method used was to solder the hook to a length of wire bent in a goalpost shape, which was then attached to the bogie through holes drilled in the bogie side frame. Two class 20s, a 37 and a 47 done.

post-6677-0-21655600-1442296377_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-81914100-1442296380_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-77906200-1442296386_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-18339900-1442296394_thumb.jpg

I've added a blob of Araldite to the ends of the "goalpost" (ends trimmed off so they don't catch on the wheels) and also to the soldered joint for a bit of added strengthen.

• Like 5