Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

New lights have arrived.

They give a slightly blue light, wasn't sure to begin with, but it's growing on me.  Camera on my phone seems to struggle with it a bit though.

post-6677-0-94376900-1442352125_thumb.jpg

No ETH fitted loco available for the inspection saloon, lucky it's been a mild day.

post-6677-0-17306400-1442352118_thumb.jpg

Unusual to see 20s paired nose to cab

post-6677-0-28045500-1442352124_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Will see you Saturday evening Mark for a stint driving on Sunday.

Thanks for that and also to Andy Y who is helping me on the Saturday.

Another flurry of early morning activity today saw; a section of wall painted brick colour, handrails fitted to the 47 (a job I'd been putting off for months) and brake gear added to the 37 (a job I'd completely forgotten about until I found the brake parts when I came to pack it away in its box).

• RMweb Premium

I had also rewired the power supply to the servos and electromagnets last night. The two are now completely separate. However, the servos still twitch when the magnet buttons are pressed. Has me baffled, only thing I can think of is that the control board is too close to one of the magnets and this is causing some kind of interference?

Any ideas?

New lights have arrived.

They give a slightly blue light, wasn't sure to begin with, but it's growing on me.  Camera on my phone seems to struggle with it a bit though.

attachicon.gif21251680268_f5b7a126cc_o (1).jpg

No ETH fitted loco available for the inspection saloon, lucky it's been a mild day.

attachicon.gif21419821526_07e98c917f_o (1).jpg

Unusual to see 20s paired nose to cab

attachicon.gif21428586752_20e9012a49_o.jpg

Really liking that last picture in particular the detail on the track, concrete with clips straight on to wooden sleepers with chairs. - and the cable troughing..

Nice.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with the way in which it is all coming together. As usual I had massively underestimated the amount of work I had to do to get the layout exhibition-ready, but getting there now. The plan was always to exhibit as a "work in progress" so there are still a lot of details to add.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with the way in which it is all coming together. As usual I had massively underestimated the amount of work I had to do to get the layout exhibition-ready, but getting there now. The plan was always to exhibit as a "work in progress" so there are still a lot of details to add.

So you should be Sir, looking very good indeed.

Please take some photos at the exhibition to share with us afterwards as I would like to see more!

Good luck for the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

I had also rewired the power supply to the servos and electromagnets last night. The two are now completely separate. However, the servos still twitch when the magnet buttons are pressed. Has me baffled, only thing I can think of is that the control board is too close to one of the magnets and this is causing some kind of interference?

Any ideas?

Now that I've managed to fit a DCC chip without blowing anything up I feel qualified to comment on anything electrical.

I think your issue is that servos work on small low power signals and electro magnets generate big pulses of magnetic field. The field crossing the servo wiring can in turn induce an electrical pulse which is sufficient to twitch the servo.

Long term solution could be some shielding around the electro magnets (bit of lead sheet??) and/or shielded cables to the servos.

Obviously this is entirely supposition...

Legal disclaimer: To avoid loss of life, limb and expensive models, please do not follow any electrical advice, opinions or ideas of the poster known as 2ManySpams.