Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

I had also rewired the power supply to the servos and electromagnets last night. The two are now completely separate. However, the servos still twitch when the magnet buttons are pressed. Has me baffled, only thing I can think of is that the control board is too close to one of the magnets and this is causing some kind of interference?

Any ideas?

You need to add a 1N4001 diode to each coil to suppress the back emf from the coil it fits across the coil connections with the cathode end, the end marked with the band going to the positive side of the coil supply 

Have you got any

post-2242-0-80549600-1442398892.jpg

Now that I've managed to fit a DCC chip without blowing anything up I feel qualified to comment on anything electrical.

I think your issue is that servos work on small low power signals and electro magnets generate big pulses of magnetic field. The field crossing the servo wiring can in turn induce an electrical pulse which is sufficient to twitch the servo.

Long term solution could be some shielding around the electro magnets (bit of lead sheet??) and/or shielded cables to the servos.

Obviously this is entirely supposition...

When you operate the coils you create the magnetic field' which then collapses when you release the button, this collapsing of the magnetic field creates back emf voltage, the voltage it creates is what is causing the interference, adding a diode short circuits the back emf, 

Now that I've managed to fit a DCC chip without blowing anything up I feel qualified to comment on anything electrical.

I think your issue is that servos work on small low power signals and electro magnets generate big pulses of magnetic field. The field crossing the servo wiring can in turn induce an electrical pulse which is sufficient to twitch the servo.

Long term solution could be some shielding around the electro magnets (bit of lead sheet??) and/or shielded cables to the servos.

Obviously this is entirely supposition...

Shielding the magnetic field won't stop the problem it is the back emf voltage from the coil in the wiring 

you also need mu metal to shield a magnetic field.

if you were to wrap some metal around the coil you would be creating a secondary winding for the coil which is a shorted secondary winding which would burn out the coil

• RMweb Premium

You need to add a 1N4001 diode to each coil to suppress the back emf from the coil it fits across the coil connections with the cathode end, the end marked with the band going to the positive side of the coil supply 

Have you got any

attachicon.gifnew-2.jpg

Thanks for this Geoff and for the subsequent explanation of why it happens, really useful and makes a lot of sense.  I don't have any diodes, but will see if I can pick some up either at the weekend or before.

Am I correct in thinking that it isn't doing any harm to the servos etc, it's more of an annoyance?  In other words - if I don't fix it until after the exhibition am I going to blow anything up!!!!

Thanks for this Geoff and for the subsequent explanation of why it happens, really useful and makes a lot of sense.  I don't have any diodes, but will see if I can pick some up either at the weekend or before.

Am I correct in thinking that it isn't doing any harm to the servos etc, it's more of an annoyance?  In other words - if I don't fix it until after the exhibition am I going to blow anything up!!!!

It will put unwanted stress on the servo if the twich is driving the servo hard against the limit of travel (the rail )

• RMweb Premium

Shielding the magnetic field won't stop the problem it is the back emf voltage from the coil in the wiring 

you also need mu metal to shield a magnetic field.

if you were to wrap some metal around the coil you would be creating a secondary winding for the coil which is a shorted secondary winding which would burn out the coil

Exactly what I thought Geoff

• RMweb Premium

After a visit from Geoff. the twitching servos have been tamed (or more accurately the back EMF from the magnets has been tamed).

Big thanks to Geoff for popping round this evening and not only supplying, but also installing the diodes for me - very much appreciated.

• Like 5

Good man Geoff, glad my sage advice was of use.

All your sage advise did, was to get me to do more posts in a day than I usually do in a month.

and the man that falls asleep on the stool on his stand thought that your advise was useful, which part I wonder

• RMweb Premium

All your sage advise did, was to get me to do more posts in a day than I usually do in a month.

and the man that falls asleep on the stool on his stand thought that your advise was useful, which part I wonder

Glad to see I'm not the only one to have concerns about the man who puts ornaments on his car bonnets.