Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

Will look forward to seeing the OAA finished, I have a Hornby body at the bottom of the kit box to do at some point. Have you any more details on the packing method?

I've ended up with two strips of 2.5 x 0.25mm Evergreen strip (laminated up to a thickness of 0.5mm) between floor and solebar, then a couple of rectangles of 1.5mm plastic where the axleguard units fit. That seems to do the trick.

• RMweb Gold

I think there's a complement in there, thanks! :)

Not really sure that's something we'd be tempted to do though, even if I had built Fryers in "nearly right" gauge.

Most definitely a compliment, a cracking little train set.

Ignoring the obvious impracticalities of matching two different gauges, I was thinking along the lines of using a small diorama-ish setting like FL as a view blocker when the curved boards on a layout such as BCB (will) disappear off scene.

Depending on the final configuration of Wibdenshaw, my plans are to incorporate cement terminal a la Dewsbury, or some such industry to blind the curved boards, as seeing an obvious and abrupt curve at the end of a layout is one of my bete noirs.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Depending on the final configuration of Wibdenshaw, my plans are to incorporate cement terminal a la Dewsbury, or some such industry to blind the curved boards, as seeing an obvious and abrupt curve at the end of a layout is one of my bete noirs.

Would agree with you on that (even though I have no idea who Betty Norris is); nothing looks more trainset than a curve - straight - curve scenic section, some way of screening the corners is really a must on a round roundy layout. On an exhibition layout, I'd be tempted to keep it simple and just have minimal screened curve boards, but in your scenario with Wibdenshaw I like the cement terminal idea.

I've ended up with two strips of 2.5 x 0.25mm Evergreen strip (laminated up to a thickness of 0.5mm) between floor and solebar, then a couple of rectangles of 1.5mm plastic where the axleguard units fit. That seems to do the trick.

It’s interesting that you’ve only needed to pack the body up by such a small amount. The diagram in British Railways Wagons by Don Rowland gives a total height above rail of 2235mm which works out at 29.3mm in our scale. On my half built OAA I packed the Cambrian solebars up by 2mm and the BBs by 3mm from the wagon floor to get the body up high enough (it’s still about half a mil low). The repositioned buffers come out at just over 13mm above rail which is within official BR tolerances (14mm or 3’6” being the absolute maximum permitted height).

Colin Craig did do a test etch for OAA undergubbins but the one I got from him was a bit too finely etched and fell to pieces as I tried to do some of the multiple folds involved. I think Phil Eames at Stenson Models has it on his radar so I guess the more people that ask the higher it’ll get up the to do list.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten I had a drawing for these in that book. Just measured and the amount of packing mentioned above puts the overall height above rail at about 1mm too low, so I'll try another 1mm of packing to see how that looks.

I didn't want to drop the solebars any lower as (looking at Paul Bartlett's photos) it doesn't look like you should be able to see much of the thin part of the solebar below the body.

I too have a couple of etches from Colin so will see how I get on with those; they aren't meant for an OAA though so are going to need a bit of modification. Would be great if something specifically for the OAA was available though. Ride height issues aside, the body isn't bad at all for a model that's nearly 40 years old.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see all this OAA talk, I was going through an old project box last night and found a half finished attempt at combining with Cambrian and Bill Bedford parts to go with my concerted OBA / OCA. Might have to dig it out and finish it now!

• RMweb Premium

Some further progress with the OAA. Firstly, some (admittedly basic) interior detail.

post-6677-0-63624900-1529013185_thumb.jpg

After comparing the ends to the drawing mentioned previously, I decided I needed to increase the depth of the headstock. I did this by adding a couple of strips of plastic to increase the depth by about 0.5mm. Then marked a line where I thought the buffers should be based on the drawing and photos.

post-6677-0-93067000-1529013395_thumb.jpg

My line came out just below the point of my buffer height gauge, so looks like it's not far off. I don't want to raise the body any further so am going to go with this as the ride height.

• Like 2

OAA looks really good. May I ask which Cambrian solebars you have used, please?  I have a number of spares and am keen to do something similar, but want to make sure I use the right set.  Many thanks.

Paul

OAA looks really good. May I ask which Cambrian solebars you have used, please?  I have a number of spares and am keen to do something similar, but want to make sure I use the right set.  Many thanks.

Paul

Likewise, I have a sector liveried body laying at the bottom of the kit box.

You'll need the OBA solebars for an OAA, these come on the same sprue as the detailing bits for the SPA kit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne,

thank you.  Result!  For once, I have the right set of spares lying around instead of having to go out and purchase another kit  - oh wait, I need two sets!..... :jester:

Much appreciated.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, as Wayne says I'm using the spares from a couple of SPAs that I built (or should I say started to build) a good few years ago. Knew they would come in useful some day :)

The SPAs themselves never got finished, I should probably dig them out and see if they are worth finishing; although I have two more of the FTG Models RTR ones that are awaiting a works visit.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, as Wayne says I'm using the spares from a couple of SPAs that I built (or should I say started to build) a good few years ago. Knew they would come in useful some day :)

The SPAs themselves never got finished, I should probably dig them out and see if they are worth finishing; although I have two more of the FTG Models RTR ones that are awaiting a works visit.

Hi Mark,

I'd carry on with the SPAs personally, I'm currently building two more to add to my small fleet. Despite it's age the Cambrian model is still able to hold it's own with a little work and in my opinion is superior to the FTG offering.

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I'd carry on with the SPAs personally, I'm currently building two more to add to my small fleet. Despite it's age the Cambrian model is still able to hold it's own with a little work and in my opinion is superior to the FTG offering.

Cheers

Wayne

I'll probably come back to them at some point, I rarely throw anything away. I quite like the FTG one. Sure, it needs a bit of work, but (for me) starting with a fully painted and decorated body means a considerable time saving over the Cambrian kit version.

Mark,

thanks for your reply: knew I kept the bits for a reason _now where did I put them?!  I, too,  am resurrecting a Cambrian SPA I built many years ago and even painted, but never quite got around to finishing.  It runs extremely sweetly ( - I had loads of time to fettle everything to within an inch of its life: there wasn't a great deal else -  productive -  to do in the Falklands when not working!) and still holds its own extremely well.  As you say, starting with the FTG one will save some time - always a precious commodity - but no reason to bin the Cambrian rendition, which is rather nice.

Happy modelling and best wishes, 

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The OAA has gained some buffers. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure they are the correct size, more research required, but they are the closest I had in stock so have just test fitted to confirm I'm happy with the ride height.

post-6677-0-33280800-1529436567_thumb.jpg

I think that'll do.

• Like 5

I wouldn't get to worried about buffer heights, there are variations on the real thing, and that's before you take full and empty wagons into consideration.

Mike.

Indeed,

I only realised after being told last year that there are tolerances in BR documentation for buffer height. Apart from whether the wagon is loaded or empty there's also spring wear to take into account. 

Cheers

Wayne