Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

Hi Mark,

Nothing beats some modelling during a show! It was nice to finally see Fryers Lane yesterday. I was hoping for a chat but you were DOO with a small audience so didn't want to distract you.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Layout loaded up within 25 minutes of show closing; home with an hour of show closing - live taking small layouts to local shows!

Huge thanks to Chris for his help over the weekend and thanks to everyone who stopped by the layout for a chat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mark stupidly pointed out today that the DMU had AJ couplings on both ends. I therefore decided it would make the ideal shunting loco...

post-6675-0-23537900-1528041677_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-51028100-1528041696_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-89330800-1528041716_thumb.jpg

Not sure I'm going to get invited to operate again!

• RMweb Premium

All home now after an excellent weekend at the DEMU, very hospitable bunch. Hall was much more pleasant today as a door was opened to let out all the hot air...

What was great about the layout was that the show closed at 4pm and 25mins later we were all packed up and heading to our homes. Mark has put a lot of thought into how the layout goes together and packs up. Lots of clever little features, not many bolts, captive nuts and things slotting together. Top marks Mark.

Here's a shot showing the layout undressed:

post-6675-0-42364800-1528042083_thumb.jpg

Obviously the small size also helps and it's certainly made me question whether I want the exhaustion of going on tour with a large layout again. I think it's also reinforced my original thoughts that my own 7mm layout will be a stay at home layout. I do like doing shows and so perhaps I may build an exhibition layout but one that's easily handled and fits in the car. Food for thought.

Cheers Mark!

• Like 2

Great to catch up with Fryers Lane today and the chap behind it all.  Didn't intially recognise Mark with all that facial hair but great to have a chat.

Mark has certainly but masses of thought into Fryers Lane and the lighting is very good - enabling all that micro detail to be viewed.

Well done Mr Forrest - you have achieved greatness !!!

I agree with Chris about making Exhibition Layouts quick and easy to set up and take down, my ''O'' Gauge, Pen Y Bont is only 14.5ft on 2 x 6ft boards, plus overhanging Fiddle Yard, but has all the workings of a BLT including Goods Yard and Dairy, and would fit into any decent estate car. Glen Roy,  Fiddlers Yard and Loch Leven, all in ''OO'' were only 9ft x 2ft but the cost for Exhibitions was less than any big Layout but with the same enjoyment and operation for the Public. 

I was really hoping to see FL today, but another Heart Attack scare put me firmly back into Burton Hospital yesterday.

I also wanted a close look at the Cacalex Redlands, they do look the biz.

Glad you all had a good weekend.

Edited by Andrew P