Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

10mm wheels? Ideal for a VDA van if I remember rightly,

I hope not, all of mine roll on 12mm wheels :)

I read somewhere that quoted the wheel size from the BR diagram sheets and it worked out as 12mm wheels being the best for VDAs, in fact I think all of the early air braked van and open families run on the same size wheels.

12mm is what I use on my vans and opens and they look fine. Using 10.5 wheels would I think make the models look 'sat down' on the track.

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Gold

I have gone back through my notes,

I think I am thinking about the batch with Taperlite suspension and one other batch with "normal" suspension, 

That said, I do now need to go back through my handful of VDAs and make sure that I have not made a silly mistake!

There is some good information on the DEMU forum on VDA wheel sizes if I remember rightly.

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

Having done a little research think I can clarify the VDA wheels thing.

According to the BR Diagram books (which I'm very grateful to the Barrowmore MRG for sharing on their website here) with the exception of the wagons fitted with Taperlite suspension all appear to have had 860mm diameter wheels, which works out at 11.3mm for a true scale wheel. Those with the Taperlite suspension (diagram 1/285, Lot 3856, design code VD001C) rode on 813mm diameter wheels (i.e. 10.7mm scale). Mine all have the more common Long Link suspension so I'm happy enough to allow them to keep rolling along on their 12mm wheels, this being the closest to scale wheel that I'm aware of.

For the sake of completeness, VAA, VBA and VCA vans had 952mm wheels (or 12.5mm).

• RMweb Premium

I think that's an acceptable compromise in 00 but I would expect any self-respecting P4 modeller to invest in a lathe and turn the wheels down to the correct diameter, to at least 5 decimal places of accuracy. Shocked!

• RMweb Premium

Now that Back Scuttle Blues is going to be roundy round and going back out on the (limited) circuit, it's a pity you didn't build FL to a sensible gauge, it would have looked v nice tagged on at some point.

Mike.

I think there's a complement in there, thanks! :)

Not really sure that's something we'd be tempted to do though, even if I had built Fryers in "nearly right" gauge.

• RMweb Premium

One of the things that had been suggested by Chris when operating the layout at DEMU (and I think the same suggestion came from Andy B and John after ExpoEM North a couple of years ago) was to extend the scenics into the fiddle yard at the left.

I made an extension to the building while at DEMU, I've added a strip of brick to the bottom of this and have now painted the track and ballasted the track leading into the fiddle yard.

post-6677-0-86963000-1528617787_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with the result, seems to help blend the scenic section to the fiddle yard a little better.

• Like 6

One of the things that had been suggested by Chris when operating the layout at DEMU (and I think the same suggestion came from Andy B and John after ExpoEM North a couple of years ago) was to extend the scenics into the fiddle yard at the left.

I made an extension to the building while at DEMU, I've added a strip of brick to the bottom of this and have now painted the track and ballasted the track leading into the fiddle yard.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180609_223211.jpg

Quite pleased with the result, seems to help blend the scenic section to the fiddle yard a little better.

Does it need to go a bit further or is that shot at an extreme angle?

• RMweb Premium

Does it need to go a bit further or is that shot at an extreme angle?

It's a fairly extreme angle, probably leaning in closer than you would if at a show with a barrier. Ideally, yes, it could be longer, but that would stop the fiddle yard from turning on its central pivot!

• RMweb Premium

Good point, well made!

Cheers.

Having said that; a carefully placed mirror might work - you've got me thinking!

Trying to make the most of the fiddle yard length I kept this plain track run off short, its about 100mm; in hindsight it could have done with being slightly longer.

• RMweb Premium

How about some security fencing along the front. It won't hide the FY entrance, but it will distract the eye.

Think it's a fine balance between whether anything in the foreground would attract or distract the eye. If I were to scenic the fascia extension a tree (or trees) as view blockers might work. Problem with a fence would be that (as the line is on a slight embankment here) the railway boundary would be at the bottom of the embankment and therefore off scene.

Do need to add a fence between the siding and the main line, that might be a nice little job for today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_20180609_223211.jpg

That looks better Mark. As you say it is an extreme view but it shows how the dividing line between scenic and fiddle is now more blurred. I doubt you need to take it any further in unless you want to ballast the sector plate.

How ate you progressing with my other helpful suggestions?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark, would a Low relief Warehouse at the front make it look like the Track was going between buildings, (sorry about my poor artwork).

attachicon.gifpost-6677-0-86963000-1528617787_thumb.jpg

Nice idea Andy but I think Mark has rightly decided to keep the 'picture frame' free of scenics - the current framing gives the layout a very professional finish IMO and sticking a building to one side might spoil that.

• RMweb Gold

IMG_20180609_223211.jpg

Looks really good, I think I will be pinching the idea and extending the clay works off scene on mine!

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I've added any wagons to the Fryers Lane fleet, so for a bit of a change and to add some variety, I thought I'd do a few more.

Firstly a batch of Bill Bedford sprung axle guards and bearing carriers were prepared, seen here drying after a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

post-6677-0-68687200-1528655114_thumb.jpg

If you're concerned that I appear to have too many bearing carriers, that's because half of them are for something else :)

Fitting these to a Bachmann OBA and VBA couldn't be much easier. The ancient Hornby OAA (confusingly carrying a OBA TOPS code and number) is going to be slightly more involved, seeing as everything below floor level has gone in the bin.

post-6677-0-07284600-1528655312_thumb.jpg

On first attempt the ride height was well off, although it looks worse that it was as the buffers were too low on the body so need repositioning anyway.

post-6677-0-93820300-1528655485_thumb.jpg

With some packing between the floor and the solebars (Cambrian Kits) and axleguard units, it's starting to look a bit better.

post-6677-0-85425200-1528655778_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Have just done a batch of these today for some VBA/VGA. I tend to do them for a couple of wagons at a time then have a break as having fat fingers like I do can make these blighters tricky to assemble.

Will look forward to seeing the OAA finished, I have a Hornby body at the bottom of the kit box to do at some point. Have you any more details on the packing method?

Cheers

Wayne