DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Dave two new, yet to be published, books about submarines that MIGHT be of interest to you ;

No Room for Mistakes

Hardcover – 30 Sep 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Room-Mistakes-Geirr-Haarr/dp/1848322062/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437124694&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=No+Room+for+Mistakes%3A+British+and+Allied+Submarine+Warfare+1939-1940

A new book from this bestselling author covering the events at sea in the early years of World War II, in which he has compiled comprehensive research and insight into a highly readable and detailed account of British and Allied submarine warfare in north European waters at the beginning of the war. The early chapters describe prewar submarine development, including technical advances and limitations, weapons, tactical use and life onboard, and examine the men who crewed them and explore their understanding of the warfare that they would become involved in. The core of the book is an account of the events as they unfolded in home waters from the outset of war to the end of 1940, by which time the majority of the Allied submarines were operating in the Mediterranean. It is a story of success, triumph, failure and tragedy, and it tells of the tremendous courage and endurance shown by a small group of men learning how to fight a new kind of war in claustrophobic, sub-sea vessels with limited information about the enemy, or what they would meet off the alien coasts to which they were heading. Extensive primary sources are used to document the many aspects of this war, some of which remain controversial to this day. Max Horton, Vice Admiral Submarines 1940, said: There is no room for mistakes in submarines. You are either alive or dead. This book makes plain how right he was.

==================================

The Silent Deep: A History of the Royal Navy Submarine Service Since 1945

Hardcover – 29 Oct 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Deep-History-Submarine-Service/dp/1846145805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437124771&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Silent+Deep

In the 114 years since its birth, the Royal Navy Submarine Service has stretched from the North Pole to the South Atlantic, from the Far East to the Barents Sea. The United Kingdom is girdled with the infrastructure required to support this vast enterprise; and the submarines of its Trident system form the sole basis of the UK's position as the world's reluctant nuclear power. Yet this is a subject that remains shrouded in secrecy. To this day, the Ministry of Defence responds to all enquiries about submarine operations with a simple phrase: "The Ministry of Defence does not comment on submarine operations."

Written with privileged access to both documents and personnel,The Silent Deep is the first authoritative history of the British submarine service since the end of the Second World War. This will be a history book which makes headlines.

=============================

Of course, I cannot guarantee the publishing dates - the book industry has ALWAYS viewed such things as guides only.

=============================

As for your other interest, the S160 would seem to be your obvious, BUT NON COMMERCIAL choice, but there are a few on preserved railways I understand.  Maybe an Austerity 2-10-0 might be the nearest you could produce ?

Edited by phil gollin

Returning to the surface and to the land, I confess that on a visit to Shildon, the S160 struck me as the most desirable item to have modelled. It would be a good companion for Model Rail's Bachmann USA Tank. I would go for an Austerity 2-10-0 as well but I suspect that there is more risk of Bachmann producing it.

Time to get your tools out and do some modellings then ;)

Of course, that's always the obligatory response of which I was expecting at some point.  And in a way I agree, however if we adopted that policy across-the-board then maybe all the manufacturers should ditch fine detailing altogether and return to "Railroad" standards?  I've no issue with a bit of modelling, as I have indeed tackled as many of these as seems feasible.  For the record:

• The rainstrips above the cab doors are very heavily moulded, when in reality they are quite sharp and fine. 

I can't see a possible way of doing this without repainting the entire body afterwards.  Additionally, it would be quite difficult to produce something from scratch as they are such an intricate shape, and there are definitely no etched parts available...

• The same goes for the awful moulded shipping anchors below the bufferbeams (again heavily moulded and very 'rounded' looking, and of course completely lacking any holes). 

This is possible to improve - simply by drilling out the moulded plastic where the holes should be, followed by touching in with paint.

• Not to mention the very noticeable joint between the body and underframe at the cab ends. 

Not really possible to do much about this as far as I can see...

• Absolutely no representation of the wealth of piping and rigging etc at solebar level -  a fundamental feature of the prototype surely?

Not impossible, but if you've ever looked along the sole-bar of a 66 you will quickly realize that its a minefield of criss-crossing pipework.  Possible to make some representation, as I have tried, however intensely difficult to produce something accurate.  Probably not so bad if you have only one or two locos to modify, but if you have more than a dozen or so...  Additionally, the way the Bachmann sole-bar has been designed renders it very difficult indeed to add parts to this section.

• Same again with the bogies and no representation of the dampers - again one of the most noticeable features of the prototype.

Possible to correct.  However, being such a fundamental feature of the prototype surely there should be some representation...

• Solid/moulded bodyside grilles - again where the see-through effect of the prototype (not dissimilar to the Horny 60) is totally ignored.

Again possible, however not without a complete repaint of the body I would have thought?

• Bogies which usually have footsteps glued on at bizarre angles.

Simply an error/poor assembly that should not happen on a model priced at £125.00 - £135.00?

• Very basic underframe and fuel tank area.  No representation of sand pipes etc - again another very obvious feature.

Possible and fairly easy to add sandpipes I agree.  Perhaps the simplest modification of all.

Still, whether any of the above issues are correctable or not, that still shouldn't in my opinion, digress from the suggestion that maybe its time for an improved 66.   ;)

Edited by darkjunglemung

Must admit I keep wondering how long before someone jumps in & does a OO S160 - there's no way that I could justify one on the Western Region in 1960, but that wouldn't stop me buying one as they are stuffed full of character - I've never seen anything as big as a 2-8-0 rocking from side to side as the one at Merehead Quarry a few years back when it was trying to haul the train of loaded stone wagons & as to the exhaust . . .

So come on Dave, how about giving it some thought?

Cheers, Mike C

• Like 1

Totally agree adb968008 with your comments about not having the '1960s' appeal, but for anyone having been to a preserved line where one is running, I bet the S160 is the one loco that sticks in the mind (of 'normals') due to that whistle.

Lets not also forget that soon so many of the preserved steam fleet in general will have been preserved for far longer than they were ever owned by the big railway, so in time more people will remember any loco as a preserved item as apposed to being 'real'.

& didn't the LMR have one for a while after the war?

They are an odd ball, but I still feel that they'd sell better than you'd think as there plenty of people out there who buy x, y & z just because they like it.

As I said, I'd buy one in OO, but I'll pass on the HO version.

Cheers, Mike C

• RMweb Gold

Problem with an s160 is there is no all important "1960's appeal" to the model. An s160 would be good for modellers of around a dozen preserved lines or for modellers of a very short period in the war, however if someone out there wanted to do a model of ebbw junction in 1944 they would need 80 of them or 119 for a treforest layout, so it could sell if that person exists.

HO makes sense, use on 3 continents with more than a dozen administrations covering 1940s thru 1980s plus operational preservation on 2 of those continents in several places. In the UK we've had 5 running in 7 liveries (one of which wasn't British, and another was a fake livery), how many people would really buy more than 2 and how many would buy 1 at all, indeed would be happy with a HO one in a UK livery.

Haven't any of the US or continental makers ever produced one in HO?

John

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that there is an element of "build it and they will come" where these things are concerned. GWR BLTs were all the rage in the late 70s/early 80s because thanks largely to Airfix completing the GWR portion of their manufacturing programme first there was a critical mass of RTR models of suitable locos and stock. Similarly, thanks to Hornby and Kernow we are now seeing a preponderance of Withered Arm layouts. The forthcoming Austerity and USA tanks and Warflat might create a similar momentum towards layouts depicting WW2 military railways.

There is a lot to be said for the "build it and they will run" philosophy.  There has been a long, quiet explosion of Southern Railway/Region layouts over the last decade as this hitherto under-represented area grew fairly rapidly from RTR famine to RTR feast.

And there are other areas where I can see this happening.  RTR narrow gauge is well on the way.  Standard gauge small industrials is another pocket.  People will buy and run these.  How many times do we see L&Y Pugs running as industrials?  The LMS only sold 9 out of service if I recall, but, goodness, they've got about!  Offer something more appropriate and it will be snapped up.

There could be better coverage of Grouping subjects.  This is certainly true of the 1923-1935 period; 1936 to 1947 is better served.  Pre-Grouping could be less of a scattergun spread of shiny things for collectors and more coherent.  Most of us are either wholly or partially dependent upon RTR.  We will model more varied subjects if this is supported.

Take, for instance, LB&SC circa 1912-14.  I have an old Dapol Terrier in Marsh Umber.  Bachmann has a Topping E4.  There is the OO Works I3, soon to be released in Marsh Umber, and, of course, we are promised a Brighton Atlantic, which, like its GNR counterpart is a must for anyone who can (a) afford one,  (b) has a soul !  Things of beauty, but, actually, you have quite a decent cadre of locomotives for a prototypical pre-grouping layout, and the Bachmann SECR C Class can visit!  It need not over-tax either one's developing skills or one's bank account to supplement these with white metal kits.  You don't have to be Guy Williams and RTR has given you one heck of a head start into something different and rather splendid.

Manufacturers might like to lead us down a few more such interesting paths.  That's my wish-list.     

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Probably mentioned here many times but the Southern L1 and Q classes would be nice - certainly is time that Hornby updated that Tri-ang L1; wonder if they're keen?

Mal

A Maunsell Q - yes please!

Well, forgive me for knowing very little about the Southern, which I view with a sort of affectionate ignorance, or, possibly, an ignorant affection, but I agree with last 2 callers, Purley Oaks and 70E (which might well be the same place for all I know; there, ignorance fully demonstrated):

• I like 4-4-0s and the L1 is really smart looking loco.  I'd like to see a version to modern RTR standards
  • I could actually run a Lord Nelson I believe.  Was it not the case that they were too heavy for the North Devon route to Plymouth and that for Navy Day in 1934 one ran to Plymouth on Great Western metals?
  • Like 1

It would be nice to have, in view of the many pre-grouping locos now available, a definitive 1907 RCH goods wagon.  These lasted well through grouping and into the 50s in some places as departmental vehicles.  I know many people have made, usually a hash of, the 1923 RCH wagons, but this would be a chance for all those lovely P.O. liveries on a correct vehicle for once.

Perhaps even the first DJM plastic kit?

Well I did ask for it didn't I!  'Ask Dave' today has a report of 2 x '00' wagons plus 4 x 'N' in the (eventual) pipeline, so keep everything crossed that he might 'bite the bullet' and make one of them the 1907 RCH.  Wagons to the sort of standards that Dave is aspiring to with his J94 would be really something!

I'd like to see a new spec 4300. For preference by DJM.

Someone mentioned a GW 517 - I'd go for that for sure!

More 6-coupled goods tender engines from pre-grouping railways

Always, always, more small industrials.  I love Manning Wardles.  Their K Class was the most numerous, I think, and a must for industry, contractors and light railways for decades upon decades.  

The most common loco in UK industrial service was, of course the WD, which is a bit big for many.

Even though the Manning Wardle is a more common loco and quite attractive I'd be a bit hesitant about Dave following the Hudswell Clarke with it, at least in the short term, as it could potentially take sales away from the Hudswell.  Maybe as the third or fourth release?

I would look at a side tank as the second industrial 0-6-0.  My own favourites would be the 1891 Stephenson "Twizell" from the Beamish Railway, though there were only two of them, or the Kitson long tank, which apart from the Beamish Railway was also found on the Manchester Ship Canal and in South Wales with some passing to the GWR (did one of these survive to BR?)

However looking at it from a point of view of making money for Dave I suspect the best sellers would be the Hudswell Clarke short tank from the Manchester Ship Canal Railway, or the rather pretty Hunslet type that preceded it (one survives as "The Lady Armadale")

Just a thought

Les

Everything is, I suspect, viewed through Transition Era goggles these days.  That's not to be pejorative; it's just that this is where the Majority's interest lies, at least for now.

Given that, I suppose popular industrials are likely to be Austerities and inter-war Barclays and such.  This view is reflected by DJM as, so far, there is no sign that a pre-Great War cab variant of the Hudswell is in contemplation.  Viewing life through the aforementioned goggles, it may, indeed, seem that a Manning Wardle, even one of the ubiquitous K Class, can be overlooked, thought there were Victorian survivors relatively late in the industrial scene.

Taking a less narrowly focussed view, I would have to say that the MW K is a good choice.  Given that there were hundreds of small industrial types from very many manufacturers throughout the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries, if one class stands out for its sheer spread and numbers, it is probably the MW K.  It's a damn attractive locomotive to boot and captures well and delightfully the quintessential industrial and Light Railway look of the small-wheeled, six-coupled, saddle tank.  They have charm in spades and there is no way buyers could resist; people would go out of their way to find a pretext to own one and a pretext would not prove hard to find.  Just because armies of modellers do not kit build them, does not mean that many would not eagerly make house-room for a DJM-standard RTR rendering.  It would create its own demand.

I disagree that it would detract from the Hudswell.  On the contrary, it gives small industrials critical mass and provides the beginnings of a colliery fleet or a Light Railway stud.  They should each sell the other.

While I would buy anything dating from 1891 or with a long boiler, I suspect these are relative long shots.  Anyone modelling between 1860 and 1960, and beyond, can, however, find a use a Manning Wardle.  

But, while on the subject of small Victorians, can we have a 517 please?!?

• Like 1

And now for something completely different, a decent GP38-2 in 1:48 Scale please - undecorated (another concept completely alien to most UK modellers) would be just fine... :D

Oh how long since I posted this....... :(

Still waiting for a decent 1:48th 2-rail GP38-2.... from anyone... :O :whistle: :locomotive: