DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Maybe this might be something for pendolino project guys to think about?

I'm too small for this thinking I'm afraid.

Hello all,

Lifted from the "Introducing Revolution Trains" thread:

"For avoidance of doubt ... it's a definite "no" to track. There are plenty of products out there in OO and now N (Finetrax, Easi-track) to fill that niche."

cheers

Ben A.

Either of these would be ideal for the Industrial market. Both designs saw wide use around the UK and overseas with plenty of detail differences within the classes to give the people who like to modify r-t-r plenty of scope, and with the wheelbase being the same perhaps there's the possibility of a standard mechanism to save costs?

post-8705-0-10303500-1423648257_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-58284500-1423648260_thumb.gif

• Like 5

Another good thing about industrials, from the model manufacture's point of view, is that most industries had more than one so multiple purchases would be logical. From the modeller's point of view the engines take up little space and don't mind sharp curves. :angel: :devil:

Cheers,

David

The only problem, as the owner of several 0-4-0 tanks in OO, is that on "standard" track (as opposed to finescale) short wheelbase tanks have a habit of turning sideways when reaching a point frog.

My bete noir is a Doxford cranetank which even on finescale track needs to be coupled to a very heavy whitemetal plate wagon to keep it on finescale track.

In N the problem is even worse.

There were quite a few small 0-6-0 tanks which would sell well, however- not just the Hudswell range.

Les

• RMweb Gold

That's a bit of a downer for 0-4-0's I would love to have a few small tanks. I take my hat of to you for completing the Doxfords tank. Have thrown the towel in on mine. Looking like it could end up on ebay.

The only problem, as the owner of several 0-4-0 tanks in OO, is that on "standard" track (as opposed to finescale) short wheelbase tanks have a habit of turning sideways when reaching a point frog.

Surely not insurmountable. There is, after all, a model of an L&Y 0-4-0ST.

Les

Pardon me if you've already done this but have you checked the back to back on the wheels?  If this is OK you might want to check the flangeway width as too much clearance gives too much wiggle room for short wheelbase locos.

HTH

David

• RMweb Gold

and the Peco stuff seems to be terribly expensive.

ALL r-t-r narrow gauge is "expensive" - it goes with the territory.

You'll only see OO-comparable prices if the producers can shift OO-comparable quantities.

At (roughly) £35 per coach and £15 for a wagon (a bit less if you shop around), the prices aren't much out of line with those of current OO releases anyway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

My bete noir is a Doxford cranetank which even on finescale track needs to be coupled to a very heavy whitemetal plate wagon to keep it on finescale track.

In N the problem is even worse.

There were quite a few small 0-6-0 tanks which would sell well, however- not just the Hudswell range.

Les

Hi Les,

It's not only confined to 00 gauge (fine or otherwise). It happens in the big world too. Try fitting longer check rails onto the frog, and it's off sides.

Ian

The Doxford has a wheelbase that is shorter than the gauge of the track- interestingly the prototypes also ran whenever possible with plate wagons in front. 0-4-0 tanks very often had over-sized buffers even when never used on sharply-curved track.  This is because the short wheelbase and cylinders well outsidfe the track gauge caused a waddling motion when nominally travelling in a straight line.

Flangeways on points big enough for the overscale wheels to run through tend to be big enough for a loco that tends to slog to escape through.  Long checkrails aren't always possible, though I did have them and will again when I return to OO with the next layout.

However a commercial 0-4-0 tank has to be able to run through Hornby and Peco dead-frog coarser-scale pointwork, or it won't sell.

All the very best

Les

• 3 weeks later...

I will second the request for a decent Class 40.   I think it would be an excellent seller if you could get there before farish!

Cheers

Guy

Farish have just announced the class 40's for upgrade but still no split headcode version!

Packaging with not too-much waste.

I rather dislike Hornby and Bachmann's current plastic-city packaging, favouring that used on the Well Tanks for example; protects the model well, but not too wasteful.

As for models; a retooled Terrier in OO would be most welcome (if only for the lovely lamp irons!)

• RMweb Premium

Packaging with not too-much waste.

I rather dislike Hornby and Bachmann's current plastic-city packaging, favouring that used on the Well Tanks for example; protects the model well, but not too wasteful.

As for models; a retooled Terrier in OO would be most welcome (if only for the lovely lamp irons!)

I think Bachmann's previous-gen packaging was just about perfect, protected the model without taking up too much space, and you could turn the model upside down in the polystyrene to clean the wheels while keeping the body nice, multi-functional! Of course, with the smaller boxes it meant you could also fit more locos in the same storage space!

Here's another thing for you to consider. How about the axle size and final drive gear on the axle are kept constant across your whole range? This would make it easier for those people who wish to use you RTR bits in different combinations for producing different loco's. Unlike Hornby, who seem to alter the technical specs of there loco's between batches (am thinking of things like the 08, with 2 different axleboxes etc).

• 2 weeks later...

wcml /northern emu,s please - some types long lived in several liveries , even oddities like bury and hadfield units used body/cab types common to other br units

surprised Hornby have not announced an 0-6-0 RR  sentinel diesel - be nice in n gauge  , useful to 009ers as well

Dave - you have some influence over Kernow and they have some credibility as a client with Bachmann. Could you offer to project manage the production of a 2HAP from one coach of the Kernow IPR Thumper and one coach of the Bachmann 2EPB? Just a thought for a project that would require very little capital outlay but seems to be stuck in the middle of their respective rights.

Hi Mike,

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure what the logistics would be, let alone the feasibility of a third party getting between the 2.

I can and will made contact and see if it is possible.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

NER locomotives (any) to go with the Q6!

Regards

Bill

In addition to the above I would also add a plea for Lancashire & Yorkshire motive power to go with the sole example from Bachmann, i.e. Aspinall 'Radial' 2-4-2. Widespread across Lancashire and Yorkshire with numerous survivors into BR days!

Regards

Bill

Hmm - basically stuff that's not common to the red and blue box brigade. For those of us too young to have seen steam outside preserved lines, tie-ins with what we can see would be good or stuff that captures the imagination

Suggestions

1) lner quad art set per the north norfolk set

2) lner silver jubilee set. Crying out for it given Hornby 's version is basically dreadful

3) 29xx saint / Atlantic - obv tie in with the didcot project

4) 111 the great bear - iconics/seem to sell well whether recent or long lost( cf P2)