Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi Dave,

Just after another update to help my cashflow !

Regards

Robert.

Nope, not playing! Lol

Wait until the NGF show in a month when I will give a full product update and announce my new 'RS' range.

Cheers

Dave

NGF show?

Can you unscramble the TLA please?

Les

TLA=three letter acronym, hated by more than love them.....)

There is another internet site, the N Gauge Forum, having a show in a few weeks time, somewhere around Preston. Dave is making an announcement there, with various updates and other info.

Alistair

When my computer died in August I lost my login to the N-gauge Forum.  It has taken me several weeks for that site to let me back in- despite having tried the username and password that eventually worked several times earlier.......

Les

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone

Despite several false starts, I can confirm that the class 17 at last gets tool time starting sometime this week.

The objective is to have models released the weekend of the Perth Show 2017.

More details and perhaps even shots of the tooling taking place, or ep shots should appear in my first 'catalogue' around January 2017 time which will be available from my web site as a downloadable PDF.

Don't think it's going to be Bachmann or Hornby quality (far from it in fact) but it might contain 'interesting' information.

Oh, and the 23 will follow it, and then the J94 in N. Despite brexit and the pound crashing against the main currencies I deal with, these models will not initially be subject to a price rise.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Well I'll be at Perth so I'll look forward to seeing that. Being a Scottish N gauge modeller this is a must have model.

Not just native to Scotland.  There were plenty propping up ends of sidings in the North East also......

Les

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

As you know the N gauge class 17 is in the tool room at the minute, and I hope to show you some pictures as and when the Chinese factory can supply.

Can I ask a few questions of my learned friends on here please?

I have the book (and very recommended it is too) 'an illustrated historical review of the Claytons' by John Hooper and published by Book Law Publications, and I'm looking at colours for the deco specifications......

Ok we all know BR blue, but I see some with a blue roof and bonnet, and blue running plate.

However there are at least 2 ambiguous pictures showing dark grey (almost carriage grey) roof and bonnet.

Was this just dirt?

The green ones seem to have painted dark grey bonnets and roof.

And lastly,

What was the lighter green used on the cabs, and also was there a hard and fast rule about red or black buffer beams as I fan find both?

So many questions but I'm sure someone will know, so many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dave

I have the book (and very recommended it is too) 'an illustrated historical review of the Claytons' by John Hooper and published by Book Law Publications,

Ah yes, the infamous Historial review.  Oops!  Sack the proof-reader!!!

3426-large_default.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Dark grey cab roof but green bonnets, IIRC Dave.  They didn't stay green for long though!

Edit - In many photos the reflection of light off the curve of the bonnet makes it look like its grey.  I don't believe it was.

Edited by New Haven Neil

From BR colour album published by Janes in 1983.

Two blue Clayton's head an oil train. D8532 and D8534 on 26 July 1968.

This shows the bonnets blue , the roof dark grey on the first loco and dirt black on the second,post-15098-0-92713500-1490362772_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure the bonnets were green or blue as appropriate. The Heljan OO ones were so decorated and there don't seem to have been any complaints.

I'd assume that the lighter green is Sherwood Green as used on Hymeks and 47s, but someone may know better.

Some good colour photos of Claytons appear in David Cross' "The Glory Days of the Scottish Diesels". Not that many, but the photos, largely taken by his father Derek, are very high quality.

Pretty sure the bonnets were green or blue as appropriate. The Heljan OO ones were so decorated and there don't seem to have been any complaints.

I'd assume that the lighter green is Sherwood Green as used on Hymeks and 47s, but someone may know better.

Some good colour photos of Claytons appear in David Cross' "The Glory Days of the Scottish Diesels". Not that many, but the photos, largely taken by his father Derek, are very high quality.

Looking through photos both historical and of the one preserved example D8568, I agree.

Although I wonder about the lighter green - it's almost Sherwood Green but may be a shade lighter ?

Trouble is that photo quality (and light quality for that matter ?) varies so much.

Is it DTG that owns D8568 ?

• RMweb Gold

Is there much Waverley route action in its pages?   :angel:

In a word, no, although there is mention of the Waverley route in some of the notes on workings. Nor, for that matter, are there any photos of the RTC adventure, which is a shame. A fair proportion of the images are of locos on shed, stored, generally idle or awaiting disposal - which I suppose accounts for much of their "working" life. .

HI all

The lighter green was the same colour as used on the Deltics.  Several Colour Rail slides that I have confirm this.  The photo that I have in mind is of a Clayton being delivered, brand new: on page 14 of The Heyday of Scottish Diesels by David Cross ( one of the small Ian Allan albums)  Many years ago I built a Dave Alexander Kit for a Clayton and painted it with the light green colour.  I had lots of comments at shows basically saying that it was nice to see one painted the correct colour.

Norman Blackburn

• Like 1