The Gresley Beat

micklner

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the photos of Gresley Beat, I'm sure you were inspired. I am a little jealous, not having seen it, being so far away in Australia. But that may change when we are planning to visit the UK in April - May 2011. So hoepfully I will see it somewhere. Though I would be lucky to get to an exhibition because going on our proposed dates and the dates listed in the magazines, there will be none around where we are at the time. So may have to fiddle dates a bit?

I have all the BRM's and the BRM annual with the DVD and the Midland Counties DVD also with Whittadder (LNER) and Dewsbury Midland layouts on it, but no commentary or dialogue. I have also downloaded some photos from somewhere.

Truly inspiring.

How's the layout and rolling stock progressing?

Mark in OZ

Below is my Silver Jubilee on Oakham

post-7319-12638054479179_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the pics. This is an exceptional layout, not only for the quality but also the 'theatre'. Always several movements going at a time. I particularly like the greenery/scenery, very convincing. I believe that the scenics above the canal area were done by Roger Daltry. If you get a chance take a look at the pink rosebay willowherb. The best that I've seen to date.

How's the layout and rolling stock progressing?

Mark in OZ

Below is my Silver Jubilee on Oakham

Hi Mark

My layout looks very insignificant at the moment. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif One of my next jobs is to build some signals. I am in the middle of a few wagons at the moment. The TPO has stalled pending some Post Box Decals. I will post some pics soon on my LNER thread.

Your SJ train looks excellent what is the make of the Loco and coaches?

cheers

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the pics. This is an exceptional layout, not only for the quality but also the 'theatre'. Always several movements going at a time. I particularly like the greenery/scenery, very convincing. I believe that the scenics above the canal area were done by Roger Daltry. If you get a chance take a look at the pink rosebay willowherb. The best that I've seen to date.

Mr Daltry was involved in scenics as described in BRM recently. I think the shed and buildings are superb on this layout. 36E

I too am knocked out by this layout. One aspect may not be top of the list for many people, but one thing that I think is absolutely marvellous here is the treatment of the retaining walls. No short cuts here. No guessing what it might be like. Do it right, even if that calls for some difficult modelling. I think you have to be very brave to undertake such lengths of deep arching walls, along the low level track. And look at some of the other walling. There are streches where most people would just have plain engineering brick, but on this layout there are relief courses of single and double depth.

Most enlightening (and a little bit frightening at the same time!)

This is certainly an atmospheric layout! I too enjoyed watching it at St Albans yesterday, both at ground level and from the gallery. Although strictly out of period, neither the prototype Deltic nor the production one looked out of place, though I did wonder at the very short milk train that the latter was given to pull.

One day some clever-clogs exhibition manager is going to put this layout next to Copenhagen Fields. The comparison would be interesting.

Chris

Thanks Mick for the photos.

I spent a big chunk of my Saturday afternoon visit to St. Albans gazing at Gresley Beat. So much so that even Cliff Parsons remarked just how long I'd been watching! It's the third occasion I've seen the layout and with the continuing work there's still new stuff to see and existing work to be appreciated. For the first time I found myself examining the canal scene in some detail and at eye level, the effect is very, very convincing - even down to the "light" at the end of the tunnel.

I stayed until closing time on the Saturday and the lack of crowds by that point gave me the best opportunity I've had to examine the work from a variety of angles.

Gresley Beat is one of those layouts that would certainly influence my decision to travel to an exhibition, even though I've seen it before.

If it's possible to be a "layout groupie" then I freely admit to being one!

Andy

Not seen this layout but I agree it looks superb. The little road vans got me thinking about the chain-driven vans that I saw in the streets of London in 1960 when I was living in St. Albans for a time. I think they were Typhoo vans but they may have belonged to a large store.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is the Hornby Dublo, I was chatting to it's builder about it on Sunday morning.

Jon

Many thanks Arthur & Jon; is the Hornby Dublo one the same as is sold by Hornby now, or a previous incarnation. Jon - did you learn any more about it from the builder by any chance please? Thanks.

Brian

Many thanks Arthur & Jon; is the Hornby Dublo one the same as is sold by Hornby now, or a previous incarnation. Jon - did you learn any more about it from the builder by any chance please? Thanks.

The Hornby Dublo one is diecast metal, it has not been in production for may years. The current Hornby (ex-Triang? )is plastic. Both suffer the same fault, i.e. the jib has been shortened to make to look a bit better as it goes around trainset radius corners. The builder of the example on GB told me he had been around dozens of watch repairers to collect suitable gear wheels to provide the lifting mechanism (non-operational on the model). The match trucks were all scratchbuilt.

Jon

This is the original, as Jon says the jib is too short and I've read an article some while ago about re-building it. The match truck certainly looks scratchbuilt though the small weight relieving bogies look to be based on the originals?

post-6861-12639855911044_thumb.jpg

Mr Daltry was involved in scenics as described in BRM recently. I think the shed and buildings are superb on this layout. 36E

One wonders if said Mr Daltry would ever be recognized at a show if he went out with the layout?

Would fellow modelers be bothered?

Mind the scenics are pretty damned fine on a pretty good layout so :icon_thumbsup2:

There always appears to be something new to muse over when I see it.

• 3 years later...

Archived