RMweb commission Hunslet 'Austerity' through DJModels

Andy Y

Is this what I have set? As mine is only giving 3 cuffs per Rev at the moment ;)

Strange. That value worked fine on the one I did and the one in the Digitrains video.

This can be adjusted with CV267 and fine tuned at very slow speeds with CV354

Reduce the value in CV267 to increase the Chuff Rate until you are happy.

Kind regards,

Paul

Following my review of the all new RMweb Exclusive - Limited Edition DJModels Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST, in dazzling NCB Yellow Livery, here's a quick running session featuring the Austerity doing what she was built for, shunting and moving coal wagons.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling rake of 14 mixed Mineral Wagons, plus Toad Brake Van with ease. She also makes no hesitation whilst shunting, even over point-work. 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCXbIpKizc

• Like 5

Following my review of the all new RMweb Exclusive - Limited Edition DJModels Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST, in dazzling NCB Yellow Livery, here's a quick running session featuring the Austerity doing what she was built for, shunting and moving coal wagons.

As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling rake of 14 mixed Mineral Wagons, plus Toad Brake Van with ease. She also makes no hesitation whilst shunting, even over point-work. 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCXbIpKizc

Excellent video with the low level shots. Loco obviously runs well, liked the weathered 16 ton mineral wagons as well!

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Gold

So the dcc sound fitting is complete :)

post-6717-0-48676600-1474894344_thumb.jpg

Zimo MX649N with home grown 1000uF stay alive pack (I trimmed down the excess heat shrink before fitting) and a sugar cube speaker.

Decoder fits above the motor so there is room for the capacitor ahead of the motor. The speaker sits in front of that just behind the smokebox door :)

post-6717-0-95331200-1474894329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

When Andy was kind enough to get this project started i was inundated by 'expressions of interest', and this continued up to and including the date the models became available for invoicing and dispatch.

The initial take up was very good indeed, and a subsequent note on here stating that they were running low produced another spurt.

However, when it came to invoicing this produced a different situation.

Now, do not, please, think this is having a go, as i know that modellers are transient by nature.....what seems like a great era or time frame at the time, may not be so when models become available as tastes change. God knows i do the same so i know the situation and fully empathise.

So what this has meant is that we had a 75% cancellation of the invoices when i sent them out.  (the loco run of 200 was 'pre sold' to 180 models.

This has lead to the project, instead of washing its face, being damaging, business wise as it hasn't covered any costs at all.

When you see these figures you can, i hope, understand why i've had to take the action to try and break even on the deal that i have done.

So from 12.00 today an agreement with myself and Kernow will come into force in which the product will be transferred to Kernow Model Rail Centre to sell.

I'm sorry i've had to do this but i hope you understand the commercial decision to do so?

Cheers

Dave

Seems sensible.

I had more than one invoice as having never had any confirmation when placing the preorder, and the threads on here showing many such examples were not on the DJM database, I had tried again.

I have got one of the models and great it is. Hopefully the rest will sell through.

Ditto.

I settled the first invoice I received and its numbered in the single figures of the 200. However, due to no confirmation of this initial order, I did process a second 'expression' and again received no confirmation.

I'm made up with the loco and have bought 3 x MGR wagons, a set of 3 x NCB internal user wagons and the Ashington NCB brake to run on a plank.

Hope the balance do sell, I'd not want the first RMWeb venture into r-t-r to be the last.

Ian

Edited by Fairburn

I inadvertently contributed to this, because I couldn't remember for certain whether I'd reserved one, and couldn't find any acknowledgement of having done so, so I assumed I hadn't (or, if I had, it hadn't been received), and filled in the form again. Only to discover that I'd actually reserved two, when I only wanted one.

As a practical suggestion, therefore, if you ever repeat this exercise, I think it would help a lot both to acknowledge reservations (ideally with a reservation number) and, if anyone does fill in the form twice, get in touch and ask them if it's an error or if they really do want another one. I know some people do genuinely want more than one, so you can't just assume that a second submission of the form is a duplicate, but it would help to check.

Hi everyone,

When Andy was kind enough to get this project started i was inundated by 'expressions of interest', and this continued up to and including the date the models became available for invoicing and dispatch.

The initial take up was very good indeed, and a subsequent note on here stating that they were running low produced another spurt.

Now, do not, please, think this is having a go, as i know that modellers are transient by nature.....what seems like a great era or time frame at the time, may not be so when models become available as tastes change. God knows i do the same so i know the situation and fully empathise.

So what this has meant is that we had a 75% cancellation of the invoices when i sent them out.  (the loco run of 200 was 'pre sold' to 180 models.

This has lead to the project, instead of washing its face, being damaging, business wise as it hasn't covered any costs at all.

When you see these figures you can, i hope, understand why i've had to take the action to try and break even on the deal that i have done.

So from 12.00 today an agreement with myself and Kernow will come into force in which the product will be transferred to Kernow Model Rail Centre to sell.

I'm sorry i've had to do this but i hope you understand the commercial decision to do so?

Cheers

Dave

not had my invoice

• RMweb Premium

Wholeheartedly agree. I reserved two inadvertently because I never got an acknowledgement as stated that I would. Even when I didn't reserve a second and didn't get a reservation email, I expected to miss out. I ended up getting one as planned.

A glitch in the website that really needs to be fixed. I had the same issue for the 92s but Dave kindly confirmed by PM that my order had been received.

I do wish this venture every success and really hope we can have another rmweb exclusive in the future.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

<snipped>

Cheers

Dave

To be fair to you Dave, is it not time that expressions of interest are binned and commitments made to a project at the start, invoices becoming just that, not a last chance to decide whether you want it or not?

If you go into a shop and ask them to get something ordered for you, it is not normal that when they have ordered it in you can say you don't want it. If people such as yourself are going to commit themselves on the basis of the number of people that say they want something, surely there should be a reciprocal commitment?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

If you go into a shop and ask them to get something ordered for you, it is not normal that when they have ordered it in you can say you don't want it.

You are perfectly entitled to say you don't want it. Likewise the shopkeeper is perfectly entitled to tell you to take a running jump the next time you ask him to order something in.

Personally, if an expression of interest, or even pre-order, was binding at the point of expressing it, you wouldn't get either from me. I'll decide whether I really want it when it appears thanks. However I do think it's unfair of people to pre-order one of every variant with no intention of buying. That kind of thing is fine on a wishlist poll but it's a bit naughty if people are basing business decisions on it. Mind you, given the average railway modeller's tendency for dreaming and armchair modelling, it's a bit optimistic making business decisions on it too.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are perfectly entitled to say you don't want it. Likewise the shopkeeper is perfectly entitled to tell you to take a running jump the next time you ask him to order something in.

Personally, if an expression of interest, or even pre-order, was binding at he point of expressing it, it would be the last the retailer concerned ever saw of my business. I'll decide whether I really want it when it appears thanks.

Really? Plenty of shops if you have something special ordered that is it, no right of return unless it is not as described.

As for committing at the point of expression of interest, why is this any different to the many that pre-order a loco? If DJM or whoever get sufficient numbers of pre-orders (commitments) then they go ahead. Simple.

Roy

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Consumer Rights Act for sales at a distance:

Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods unless the goods are individually customised (limited edition production runs are not individually customised and therefore are covered under these regulations).

Edited by dcroz

Really? Plenty of shops if you have something special ordered that is it, no right of return unless it is not as described.

As for committing at the point of expression of interest, why is this any different to the many that pre-order a loco? If DJM or whoever get sufficient numbers of pre-orders (commitments) then they go ahead. Simple.

Roy

It's probably worth stating the exemptions in full, for avoidance of doubt:

Exemptions

There are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.

These include, CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items and tailor-made or personalised items. 

Also included are goods that have been mixed inseparably with other items after delivery.

(source: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations)

But as railway models are mass-produced, as drcoz says, you can cancel/return them. If there wasn't that right, there is no way I'd be ordering a model without at least seeing a working pre-production model.

Made to measure items yes, as David H says. But asking a shop to get a mass produced item in and lay it aside for you isn't a contract to buy, they get it in and then you decide whether you want to buy it. The contract is made at the point at which you agree to pay for it.

Back to the Austerity, it's no wonder people are confused:

customers who have reserved a model will be contacted when it's ready to be despatched to confirm the order and arrange payment.

Is it reserved, pre-ordered, ordered or merely expressed to be of interest ? And does contacted mean actually contacted, or just invoiced ? I suppose it's academic if the retailer can't track the orders (or whatever) accurately anyway.

Edited by Wheatley

Thanks Wheatley for reminding me of the original date of announcement - because the law we've been quoting is from 12 June 2014. For contracts entered into before that date (according to Which), the Distance Selling Regulations still apply:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

However, the main difference of interest here seems to be that the right to cancel is a minimum of 7 days (from receipt of goods) after you receive the goods, not 14. The non-qualifying items are the same, so model railway items would still be included.

Having said all that, it depends on the definition of "contracts entered into" - I suspect (although do not know) that expression of interest would not be considered a contract, so the "contract" date would be from the point at which people were contacted to confirm the order and arrange payment, i.e. covered by the Consumer Contract Regulations.

Another thing occured to me - as the model is now with Kernow, have they taken over after-sale responsibility for the ones sold under the RMWeb banner, or just the ones they sell?