Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

How would that come to pass? The tank should be sealed (apart from the breather, but that has filters and things).

I suspect it would indeed be quite exciting though. Particularly for the squirrel.

I don't know. This was a pole-mounted transformer in the US feeding an apartment block. There was a bang and corresponding a lack of power. I was told a squirrel was the culprit. I never saw any charred remains so it might have been something else...

More likely that it shorted the terminals with its tail or something. Getting into a transformer needs tools that squirrels typically don't have access to...

I don't know, they're usually pretty good with nuts...

• RMweb Premium

On the Southern third rail substations they put a plastic eagle owl on top by the transformers, and I suppose that scares the squirrels away. On this GWR overhead scheme, they're not doing that, I suppose it's because they're working to a budget?

Most, if not all of those outside transformers and switch gear ("Raft type" substations) have been rebuilt over the past decade with all electrical components being housed in stainless steel containers. This gives more protection from the elements and wildlife - plus it makes the site much safer for staff (and trespassers) as you cannot inadvertently touch something you shouldn't.

On the Southern third rail substations they put a plastic eagle owl on top by the transformers, and I suppose that scares the squirrels away. On this GWR overhead scheme, they're not doing that, I suppose it's because they're working to a budget?

Perhaps they're just working to a budgie? 

• Like 1

Definitely some fittings inside the span over 1&2 at Paddington. Some new copper span wires at the bottom of the arch of the roof, presumably they can only be linked to electrification.

Span wires are very unlikely to be copper, the only copper wires in the system these days are the contact wires and feeders.

Regards

Span wires are very unlikely to be copper, the only copper wires in the system these days are the contact wires and feeders.

Regards

Other materials are cheaper and stronger than copper and a headspan doesn't carry any current so highly unlikely copper will be used. Can't remember what they do use for headspans these days but I think it can have a copper-like colour when new.

Edited by Edwin_m

Regards

Who told you that? Almost all span wires are copper. It is not a good idea for them to be anything else due to corrosion from using dissimilar metals. Feeders are usually aluminium, with special bi-metallic connections to connect them to the copper conductors to avoid corrosion. The preferred dropper is now  flexible copper, compared to the previous stainless steel type. Aluminium AWAC Catenary wire is no longer used for new construction, unless interfacing it with existing equipment. It was used for Mk 3B equipment and the policy is to change it to copper where practicable.

Edited by Titan

• 2 weeks later...

This electrification project is starting to get annoying. The problem is, you can't get a cello on a bus.

The next in my series of fund-raising concerts features the cellist Laura van der Heijden (BBC Young Musician 2012) in Chippenham on 15th July. Laura and her fellow musicians were going to travel to and from London by train, but there is a bus replacement service from Swindon to Chippenham and you can't get a cello on a bus!

Out via Westbury and taxi to Swindon for the return seems the best option. (Unless anyone has a better idea.)

Geoff Endacott

It will have to be a taxi. The problem with the replacement bus service is that it isn't really a replacement. A bus is not a train.

I don't think risking damage to Miss van der Heijden's cello would be such a good idea. It is worth an awful lot of money.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Yes, cellos must be tricky things to transport safely, even worse than model railways? Today's bright idea, a model Railway in a cello, after all there was the Inversnecky and Drambuie in a guitar case. Oh, well, back to a progress report for today. There's still a gap around the old red brick bridge at Steventon, but some masts appreaing around Causeway Crossing. Once past there heading west,work is advancing well, long stretches of overhead wire up to about half a mile east of Uffington. Some spans still to do, and it's looks as if the auto transformer cable is the last to go in, and missing for quite a lot of this stretch. Once past here, most of the masts are in to around the Oxford road bridge, dangly bits on around, say, half. Then into Swindon, zilch.

Edited by Northroader

• 2 weeks later...

Had another look at Paddington platforms 1 and 2 today as I happened to be on a train that arrived at platform 2. No wires yet but there are some span wires with insulators - these are very inconspicuous.

I noticed these last night as well, interestingly unlike the rest of the station these are painted white. So stand out a little bit more than the other spans, however with a white roof it's not that noticeable.

Wires attached to skyhooks above platform 1 at Paddington. It's a catenary system, in contrast to the trolley wire in the rest of the station. (Actually I think it's contenary, but that's not such an important distinction unless OLE is your thing).

• RMweb Premium

I clocked this this afternoon. There's a proper catenary and contact coming into platform 1 at the country end, but once it straightens out off the curve, it strays over to be suspended symmetrically midway between the lines 1 and 2 down to the buffer stop end.most odd.