No need for gentleness Kev, that was great! and a nice web site you've got. That 37 certainly sounds throaty with the reflex in it. I'm more interested in your own sounds for the 20 and 27 though; guess they'll be on the next video's? Love your layout anyway, and that NBR tall lattice post is a work of art.

Nice to see the Scots videos on here. Waverley West with the Deltic journey is perhaps the best DCC sound video I've ever seen with one of the best layouts to grace a forum; I'm hoping my own video of ex-NBR sound will be coming soon and add something else to the Scots sound scene.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at the class 150 video above - how have you done the train crew annoucements that are featured on the film. Are they under the board on speakers or actually played from a clip on the sound chip. Id guess its the former, but interested how youve done it....

call me vain but the recordings are of myself!!

quite simply all i did was record myself speaking them onto a portable minidisc player (the same one i use to record locos for bryan), plug it into the pc and transfer the sounds to it using audacity software which in turn can convert it to mp3 or wav format.

all i did then was send the sounds via email to bryan you put them into a sound project for me, then onto the chip, he added echo and the "bing bong" to the station announcement clip for a bit of fun!!

i think its fantastic, wouldn't like to be sat inside the train when the announcement went off if it was that loud in real life though!

• Like 1

Yeah it looked really good on the video... though I thought it was a platform style announcement than the complete speach with the guard on the intercom too. I think i might mount something on a laptop to get something similar as the layout I am building is for exhibiting and im thinking of using a screen to show a departure board too.

Will have to get some videos of mine put onto the site too now that the layout is nearing completion. Good news for me is that its an end to end layout and as a result I wont need to take cover when the camera pans round on a run around the layout!!

• RMweb Gold

Yeah it looked really good on the video... though I thought it was a platform style announcement than the complete speach with the guard on the intercom too!

it is actually 3 different announcements on 3 different functions, (F13, 14, 15) so i can play them individually or in any order!!

got a few more vids to upload to youtube, 2 done already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-xfER39W4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Ysa6DNQxI

Another Scots to the collection.

Here's my video with a 26 with 4MT tank with Olivia's sounds and a 25 with bog standard Bachmann sound.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andrew, I was going to take a risk on a Olivia's 26 chip shortly. No need to worry now, yours sounds just the Job. What speaker did you put in it? Kev.

• RMweb Gold

nice to see a sound steamer :P

a change from the usual diesel! :)

have a look at my youtube site my sound chipped super D, britannia, royal scot, tornado and 4mt are all on there

link is below in the signature

Well, here's my first post on You Tube & RMWeb; A Hornby Eurostar fitted with Loksound chips in both power cars, featuring sounds I recorded myself at Temple Mills. There's a fairly comprehensive description of the sounds on You Tube so I won't elaborate here. Regarding the modelling; it uses the standard Hornby motor pushing from the rear. I had intended to remotor but having tweaked the motor setting CV's it's remarkably good and the gain would hardly be worth it. I've added head and tail lights, retaining the standard Hornby lens unit. The eagle-eyed will notice the non-standard coaches - the Cafe Bar and Train Manager's coach - both converted from the Hornby supplementary coach pack using the Hurst kit. The real thing has two of each of them and loads more articulated coaches but I'm getting there...

I'll upload parts 1 & 3 (startup and shutdown sequences) asap. There'll be more one, two and three-chip videos to follow (Voyager, Pendolino, APT, 91 + DVT etc) when I can find time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mrQq3NPOsM

Excellent model of the Eurostar.... sounds very accurate and realistic. Will be very interesting to hear and see the results of your labours for the other engines that you say you have produced. To my knowledge some people have gone and tried to do them... but not to the same standard that your Eurostar was.

My congrats - its hard to impress me, but after that I was.....

My congrats - its hard to impress me, but after that I was.....

Many thanks for that David. After hearing some mundane and other frankly poor commercial offerings I decided some time ago to go my own way. I bought a Lokprogrammer and I've never looked back. It's good to have complete control over the sounds and loco performance. Recording your own sounds is just another way of going out and having fun on the railway. I've been pleasantly surprised with the co-operation I've received from everyone I've approached to do them. I borrowed my Dad's video camera and video'd the first tranche of projects which I'm posting bit by bit (see below). I'll borrow it again and post the rest of the stuff I promised asap. I was minded to offer a service for bespoke sound projects but I'm not sure whether there would be any interest. Anyway, here's some more stuff to whet the appetite...

A demonstration of the neutral section I've incorporated into all my AC electric projects (81, 86, 87, 90, etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-eEPD4JXE&

Class 56 with custom bass reflex speaker and custom sound project. I'm interested to hear what people think of this in comparison to Hornby's offering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47a_ECwLHwc&

Class 25 with custom bass reflex speaker and custom sound project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZIr7twprc&

A two-chip / four speaker voyager. There's a fairly comprehensive on the You Tube page. Recorded by myself at Central Rivers. The use of the underframes as bass reflex enclosures gives mountains of volume (it's deafening on full) but even with internal wadding it sounds harsh, unlike the mellow note of the prototype. I need to do a bit more work on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYzDkLFzhQ