I used to use Olivias sounds but have found the Howes sounds to best.

I found some of the souds before to be a bit different,a class 60 i had done was described as a single cylinder cement mixer.

Doesn’t a class 33 sounds like a cement mixer full of bricks?

What makes a good sound file?

I am under the suspicions that most of the samples are taken with the loco operating in a mode known as “engine onlyâ€. This allows the power unit to accelerate up to full speed without developing traction power. The result will be a very quick take up of revs and the volume will be reduced significantly. If you open a loco up in engine only, it will throttle the fuel up to raise the engine up to full speed, this will give an initial burst of volume as the unit gets itself up to speed, once it has reached its full speed, it will require very little fuel to keep it at full revs and the engine governor will have closed the fuel down to just enough as required.

If a loco is on a load, I.E a heavy train, then the power controller will be opened up the engine will start to accelerate to max revs but the load of the generator will stop it doing so, the governor will put more fuel on to get to this position thus a bigger explosion in the cylinders, and more volume. Most of the recordings I have herd appear to have been made with the loco in engine only, of cause this is much more convenient because the loco is stationary.

So all you producers of sound chips take note, any body interested in a spot of loadbank testing?.

Gary

Are all Olivias sound chip dodgy then?

I purchased a class 33, it was dreadful, I had to have it re programmed with the Howes version.. much better.

It seems Olivias sound files are supplied by different people? Perhaps this is why there are always problems with the DS chips they sell!

The 26 in that video differently sounds like the Howes 25?

Dodgys probably a bit strong! If you prefer Howes ones to SWD then its probable you won't like Olivia's, although some have quite nice sounds.

Dodgys probably a bit strong! If you prefer Howes ones to SWD then its probable you won't like Olivia's, although some have quite nice sounds.

No, I have already tried Olivias DS chips and barge pole and touch spring to mind.

Already have 08 20 24 25 26 31 33 37 40 45 47 50 and 55 DS chips and can whole heartly recommend Howes and SWD sound chips!

• RMweb Gold

Most of the recordings I have herd appear to have been made with the loco in engine only, of cause this is much more convenient because the loco is stationary

the recordings i did for howes for the class 56 and 66 were all under load, in fact some of the best 66 recordings i got were with 2500 tons behind me!!

the difference in note between that and a light engine 66 is immense

I am under the suspicions that most of the samples are taken with the loco operating in a mode known as “engine onlyâ€. This allows the power unit to accelerate up to full speed without developing traction power. The result will be a very quick take up of revs and the volume will be reduced significantly. If you open a loco up in engine only, it will throttle the fuel up to raise the engine up to full speed, this will give an initial burst of volume as the unit gets itself up to speed, once it has reached its full speed, it will require very little fuel to keep it at full revs and the engine governor will have closed the fuel down to just enough as required.

If a loco is on a load, I.E a heavy train, then the power controller will be opened up the engine will start to accelerate to max revs but the load of the generator will stop it doing so, the governor will put more fuel on to get to this position thus a bigger explosion in the cylinders, and more volume. Most of the recordings I have herd appear to have been made with the loco in engine only, of cause this is much more convenient because the loco is stationary.

So all you producers of sound chips take note, any body interested in a spot of loadbank testing?.

You are correct in your assertions about 'engine only' operation. I always aim to record a 'line run' (ideally from the cab) or with the engine otherwise 'under load'. I recorded the running sounds on my Eurostar out of the cab door on a (surprisingly low speed) run in the depot. The 56 was recorded during a load bank test, where the engine's electric generator is disconnected from the traction motors and connected to an external resistive load. At Tyseley I recorded a 150 & 170 on their 'dyno', where they disconnect the engine drive shafts and connect them to a huge water pump which acts as a load.

Realism can be considerably enhanced (or thrown away) by having appropriate (or inappropriate) acceleration and deceleration CV settings. How many commercial sound chips have you seen where the loco shoots off and the sound 'catches up' some time later? You can also enhance things by judicious allocation of sounds to the slots in the Loksound flowchart, and by limiting top speeds in the example of heavy freight locos.

You can see some of my results here; http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo

I'm happy to 'reblow' chips if anyone is interested.

Kev

Yeah, that 27 of yours has the same Olivia's sound files as my 26 definately. Maybe that is their Class 25 sound or maybe it's just chance which little Sulzer sound they give you. I still can't tell the differences in real life between the 4 classes unless I can see the loco :rolleyes:

I reckon it's fair to say that Olivia's are hit and miss with their files but I wouldn't totally condemn them.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy to 'reblow' chips if anyone is interested.

I can vouch for legomanbiffo's projects. I already have a couple of his products running on "Blackmill".

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi

With regard to the Howe's/Olivia's/SWD's and Bachmann factory sound recordings, I have had all of the above, and have come to the conclusion that Howe's are without doubt best for my layout. As I have a depot based layout without long runs, their sounds suit my layout best. Much better take off sounds at low speed and some excellent individual sounds like good rail squeal, buffering, various horns etc. I have re blown most of mine with Howe's sounds. Still got the Bachmann Deltics (2) but when Howes do that off they will go. Only decent Bachmann one was the 25. Their Deltic is not bad but not great either. rolleyes.gif The Howe's class 47 in particular is far better than the other ones!!

I suppose the simple answer to this is to look at what you want from them depending on your layout then try a few. Re blows at under £15 are very good value and if you don't like it you can get it reblown elsewhere.

One little thing to keep in mind. I don't think you tube clips give a very good basis for deciding. Mine sound far better on the layout than on the PC! sad.gif

Howe's 20

Try and buy!! Howe's for me.....smile.gif

Chris

Ken

Sorry for the late reply with regards the Olivias 26; busy weekend! There's 15 functions including notching on F14 and F15 I think but my controller only supports 9 so I've not tried those functions yet. The flange squeal is very nice as is the brake squeal; not piercing at all. I think all the Olivia's diesel projects have been standardised with the functions on the same F numbers. I don't have the Howes 26 decoder yet so I can't compare them but I can't imagine any disappointments with the Olivia's 26. I've heard Olivia's 24 too and that sounds good but the 25 sounds were poor I thought.

Glad you liked the vid and layout. Nice praise from a Scot's modeller of your standard :)

Cheers

Andy

Andy

Yes "life" does get in the way at times. BTW thanks for your kind compliments. I'm a bit confused now, going by later post's, exactly what Olivia's sound files are fitted in your 26 ?, but it still sounds very impressive regardless, better than a Howes fitted 26 I already have. Bachmann's 24 sound decoder is one of their better ones, and worth transplanting into a 26 - as they shared the same power units in reality, with different electrical/exahust and ancil equip etc. I also have a Howes decoder in a HJ27, I just love it :rolleyes: and it also proved very popular indeed when displayed at a recent local exhibition, only ousted by a Hornby Black 5 with "big jim's" - Howes recommended CV changes. If I decide to get an Olivia's 26 reblow, I'll contact Neil first and enquire exactly what sound files I can expect/get.

Cheers

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I drive 37's for a living and also have a few in my loft. My mate is a loco chip sound expert so I did some recordings with him on various 37's. Here is a clip of 37407 with sound taken from 37423 with me driving on the Workington-Maryport shuttles. This is what a 37 file should sound like although my video stuff doesn't do it justice. You rarely hear sounds with ETH on locos, because there is a difference they run at a higher speed with heat turned on.

cheerio

Claggy

• RMweb Gold

I drive 37's for a living......

ah happy days......last one i had was 37261 road learning liverpool docks in 2008, i suspect my days of driving 37s are over now though

i never managed to get an ETH 37 recorded for howes, left DRS before they got theirs up and running but i got some sounds off 37087 on gresty last year as well as a few 47's and 57's starting up and shutting down etc but nothing spectacular

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

a few new vids from me, just updates of existing chips i have...

bryan at howes has reblown my tornado so that the sound can be turned on and off as normal (my test bed loco had the simmer on all the time but it was too much for me!) also he has added a custom shovling sound for me as a separate function

basically when tornado was visiting the crewe heritage centre a few months back i recorded it and was lucky enough to be able to put a bit of coal in her too as i knew the driver on the day, anyway i reocrded the footplate sounds as i fired it, however i missed the firebox hole on my first attempt, the driver took the mickey out of me and my son dominic thought it was really funny and "cool" as you will hear in the clip below, he absolutly loves playing with tornado and hitting "his" function button!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKc-MKTxu4

next up the same loco with a tender mount camera (pre reblow) on the crewe heritage centres layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZKPEvn7Fc

i have put a couple more vids up on youtube, a pendolino in crewe and the ffestiniog railway gala back in may, have a look, link below in signature

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

here are 3 new chips from HOWES, i've posted them in the product section but thought i'd put them in this thread too as all my other vids are here too:

first up is a Robinson 04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq7DPvmGJbk

functions are as follows:

F0 Lights on/off. not applicable on this model

F1 Sound on off

F2 Long whistle , continues sounding until F2 is pressed again.

F3 Short whistle

F4 Buffer up

F5 Coupling up

F6 Injectors

F7 Draincocks

F8 Safety valves

F9 Carriage Door slam

F10 Guards Whistle

F11 Buffer clashing on wagons. 8 seconds

F12 Wheel/sleeper groan

F13 Shunt Mode, Half speed

F14 Accel Decel override

F15 Aux1

The random fireman sound has been mapped to activate Aux 2 within the soundfile, so if a firebox LED is fitted by the user it will flicker when the fireman sound is on Aux 1 is left free for operator use.

next up is a 4cep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avoxSSJwAv4

F0 Lights on off

F1 Sound on off

F2 Double horn, high low

F3 Double horn, low high

F4 Single Horn

F5 Compressor

F6 Guards whistle

F7 Flange squeal

F8 Carriage door slam 1

F9 Carriage door slam 2

F10 3rd Rail flashover linked to Aux 1

F11 Driver / Guard Buzzer from 3CIG

F12 Rail joint noise

F13 Running on CWR

F14 Aux 2

F15

and here is the PEAK, the rolling road and you tube dont do this justice again once i can get it on "chase cam" it will be much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFihQmAXvs0

functions are as follows:

F0 Lights on off

F1 Sound on off

F2 Double horn, high low

F3 Double horn, low high

F4 Single Horn

F5 Low speed Fan

F6 High speed fan

F7 Carriage door slam

F8 Guards whistle

F9 Flange squeal

F10 Wheel /sleeper groan

F11 Notch up

F12 Notch down

F13 Shunt mode/Half speed

F14 Accel decel override

F15 Aux 1

Quick notes on use

Pressing the Function 2, 3 and 4 keys once allow the operator to extend the length of the initial horn pitch, when pressed again F2 and 3 changes pitch to complete the 2 tone horn sequence, F4 being just a single tone of variable length.

By controlling the length of the initial tone you can generate a different horn sound every time to suit your driving conditions this makes horn operation a bit more like the real thing .

The F8 Guards whistle on a single press gives a long warning blow and, when pressed again gives a short right away one thus maximizing the use of just one function key, again you control the time delay between the warning and the off

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

continuing with mine and 250BOBs layout chase video range here are the latest offernings from howes, steam, diesel and electric sounds

first up the class 45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2Z4hQ8T0I

next the 4CEP (shortened to a 2CEP!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQFOPgVfb0&feature=channel

Finally the Robinson O4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ewYDA0Mwo&feature=channel

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Simply stunning, probably the best sound videos I've heard. The first and last could be the real thing with a bit of traffic and wind noise edited in. Now I really have to make one of those boxes!

Will

That was exactly what I thought when I first heard them - and why I recorded them so others could hear too B)

Im quite taken by the intermittent sound of the drain cocks being discharged while the Bachmann O4 was on the move although it is not listed as one of the functions so how is it produced.

Im tempted to purchase a sound chip for my recently completed A4 and A1, overall the sound reproduction appears to becoming more authentic.

EMU sound chips have been conspicous by their absence until very recently. Some time ago I decided to set about recording as many as possible. For starters here is Bratchell's superb Class 320 in Strathclyde orange (there are 3 videos demonstrating the various sounds, this is the second one);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef38X15pFfQ&feature=related

I'm happy to reblow chips for anyone who's interested in these sounds, which would be suitable for any unit from the BREL 320 / 321 / 322 series.

The following are 'coming soon' as I work my way through them; 323, 350 Desiro, 442 Gatwick Express, 507 & 508. As with the 320, all sounds were made during authorised depot visits and each project will feature a full set of completely authentic sounds including pan up / down, air conditioning packs, auxiliary & main compressors, doors, right away, 'playable' horns etc etc.

The majority of recordings are in place for the 313, 314, 317, 318, 319, & 325 which will follow the first batch.

Finally, steps are in place to secure recordings of the 465 Networker and others.

I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank London Midland (Soho & King's Heath), Railcare (Wolverton) and Merseyrail (Birkenhead North) for their help with this 'quest'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Im quite taken by the intermittent sound of the drain cocks being discharged while the Bachmann O4 was on the move although it is not listed as one of the functions so how is it produced.

basically if you have the throttle open (as an example speed step 25 on a lenz 100) so its chuffing then shut it back to just rod clank (say speed step 22) and then open it back up by a couple of notches (speed step 23-24) it will give the draincock hiss, if you then open it up futher the draincock sounds shut and the exhaust it will give a deeper "bark" (eg back up to 28)

its not a function its built into the program, most howes steam chips do it now or if not bryan is slowly updating his progrmas to include it