I just found this post so as I have just put the following two videos on another forum I thought you might like to see them.

Both videos taken on my "Dale Junction" H0 scale layout.

This is a Union Pacific "Veranda" turbine with GP9B booster hauling a PFE ( Pacific Fruit Express) reefer train.

Turbine is by Lionel and GP a modified Athearn.

Next is a Pennsyvania Q2 Duplex 4-4-6-4 loco by Broadway Limited and ia obviously off route on my U.P. layout.

Hope you like them.

Regards, Colin.

Very nice Colin but the Photobucket site is plagued with pop ups. I exhort all the site members NOT to click on them and just close the window when finished.

Edited by dwhite4dcc
Deleted links for safety and clarity

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Colin but the Photobucket site is plagued with pop ups. I exhort all the site members NOT to click on them and just close the window when finished.

ive not had any problems with popups on photobucket either on the ipad or pc and i use the site as my photo host (as a paying pro member)

Here's my Heljan Class 47 with the Howes sound cip and a Loksound 40mmx20mm speaker. I think it sounds beefire than the small round one supplied with the decoder. Excellent sounds I think.

Edited by skin_2

Here's my Heljan Class 47 with the Howes sound cip and a Loksound 40mmx20mm speaker. I think it sounds beefire than the small round one supplied with the decoder. Excellent sounds I think.

Try a 28mm round...I think it is better still. Round speakers are sonically purer and seem to produce more sound per unit area than oblong. A 28mm round has a surface area of about 615 mmsq the 20 x 40 800mmsq and yet we all reckon the round speaker is louder.

Try a 28mm round...I think it is better still. Round speakers are sonically purer and seem to produce more sound per unit area than oblong. A 28mm round has a surface area of about 615 mmsq the 20 x 40 800mmsq and yet we all reckon the round speaker is louder.

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought the oblong speaker might produce better bass. It's certainly an improvement on the speaker supplied with the decoder. I think the sounds are good anyway.

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought the oblong speaker might produce better bass. It's certainly an improvement on the speaker supplied with the decoder. I think the sounds are good anyway.

We make a bridge across the chassis above the bogie with a strip of thin plastikard. Araldited on. The back box needs thinned down a little, razor saw or sanding about 2mm off the height usually does it. Take out the little fins inside the back box to allow the speaker to sit lower in the box. Glue the back box to the 'bridge'. All in all worth doing. The other must do fix for the Heljan Duff is to drill out the plastic fans and add Shawplan etched fans . With the fans above the speaker you get a tremendous racket! I will try and take some pix and post them here.

Edited by gridwatcher

We make a bridge across the chassis above the bogie with a strip of thin plastikard. Araldited on. The back box needs thinned down a little, razor saw or sanding about 2mm off the height usually does it. Take out the little fins inside the back box to allow the speaker to sit lower in the box. Glue the back box to the 'bridge'. All in all worth doing. The other must do fix for the Heljan Duff is to drill out the plastic fans and add Shawplan etched fans . With the fans above the speaker you get a tremendous racket! I will try and take some pix and post them here.

I removed one cab and attached the speaker to the roof facing down. My idea was that the sound would come out through the bogie. It is reasonably loud and has more bass than the original. As this is my first effort with sound I didn't quite know what to expect. If you get the chance to post some pics it would be very helpful, thanks.

I removed one cab and attached the speaker to the roof facing down. My idea was that the sound would come out through the bogie. It is reasonably loud and has more bass than the original. As this is my first effort with sound I didn't quite know what to expect. If you get the chance to post some pics it would be very helpful, thanks.

Wondered how you managed to get a 40x20 in? Photos will follow.

Wondered how you managed to get a 40x20 in? Photos will follow.

Here you go. No need to shorten the circuit board as the 28mm round is louder than a 40 x 20 IMHO

You can see the plastikard strip 'bridge' across the top of the bogie between chassis rails. For me Duffs need to make there noise 'upwards' Kind of depends on the class of loco. 60s OK downwards. Others doesn't matter, but when a Duff open up there is always an 'upwards' thing going on, noise, exhaust high in the air etc etc.

The advantage of the 'tubby' Duff is clear to see. The only mod is that the speaker housing needs about 2 mm shaved off the top opening and the vanes removed form the inside to allow speaker itself to sit a bit lower. The fans are Shawplans cheaper 47 fans. With a fleet the size of our we cannot be arsed/or afford to go the Extreme Etchings ones. They always receive positive comment anyway, guess its how you fit, paint and weather them that really counts?

post-657-0-88519000-1329047079_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-16433200-1329047095_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-59571200-1329047103_thumb.jpg

Edited by gridwatcher

Hi, To remove any problems I have deleted the post but I must say I have not had any problems reported before with videos stored on Photobucket and posted on forums and I have had no problems with Pop-ups.

Regards, Colin.

When I clicked on the link, I could play the clip without problems but there was one of these vibrating pop ups next to it saying that I had won an iPad 4 or somesuch and that I had a time limit to accept it. I then promptly checked my cookie history and found no trace of the pop up. it downloads a key logger when you click on it and takes you to a site which promptly request details and finally, of your bank account.

These pop ups are very often loaded into legitimate websites that are poorly maintained and sometimes even the legit site is unaware of them.

I have found pop ups on my own Photobucket account so it might be specific to my IP address or indicative of my not using it much.

i know that AndyY has software on his server to prevent incursions from these bandits. I do recall that on the previous incarnation of RMWeb a photo was uploaded innocently by a legit user and that contained a nasty of some sort. It was auto deleted.

Most of these pop ups are harmless unless clicked on.

I run SpyBot regularly and it occasionally finds these nasties without me even knowing about them. I also clear my history on a quarterly basis and log back in to my accounts.

You can never be too careful and discovering the pop up on Photobucket was a surprise as it is the first one I have seen for ages. Hence my warning.

Here you go. No need to shorten the circuit board as the 28mm round is louder than a 40 x 20 IMHO

You can see the plastikard strip 'bridge' across the top of the bogie between chassis rails. For me Duffs need to make there noise 'upwards' Kind of depends on the class of loco. 60s OK downwards. Others doesn't matter, but when a Duff open up there is always an 'upwards' thing going on, noise, exhaust high in the air etc etc.

The advantage of the 'tubby' Duff is clear to see. The only mod is that the speaker housing needs about 2 mm shaved off the top opening and the vanes removed form the inside to allow speaker itself to sit a bit lower. The fans are Shawplans cheaper 47 fans. With a fleet the size of our we cannot be arsed/or afford to go the Extreme Etchings ones. They always receive positive comment anyway, guess its how you fit, paint and weather them that really counts?

Thanks very ,much for posting the pics, I'll have a go with that.

Keith

This is the lastest enhanced Class 37 multi drive on a Zimo sound chip.

It shows the 37 coasting, then a bit of instant full thrash, the thrash starts automatically and is switched back to coasting via pressing F6 - at any speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ycYJLIQDU&feature=youtu.be

CJ, Nice vid.

So, it's F6 to instantly 'coast', without changing the loco speed it seems.

Tell us what happens when you release F6.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2 months later...

While Coppell has been set up, (briefly!) while it was readied for Liverpool show this weekend, I snuck up to the clubrooms while it was empty and tried a few vids.

First 86 233 with an Olivia’s ESU decoder –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auLd2n1-M4

Next a 150 again with an Olivia’s –

http://youtu.be/aYOkfnhqb5A  

A 304 with a Legomanbiffo one –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypo21-gBbmM&feature=relmfu

And finally 37 902 with a Howe’s decoder -

http://youtu.be/OYuED-hrncw

This last is an experiment in editing, as I used my Tascam to record the sounds as well, and then replaced the sounds from the camera mic on the vid, much better quality but it does get a bit loud as the 37 passes the mic’s! kev.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Bif's class 73 from DC Kits (excellent service as usual) - I found it a little on the soft side even after fitting a bass reflex speaker but it is very good in all other respects.

I am way behind in videoing and posting things. I have now videoed some of Bryan's (Howes) work (classes 31, 57 and Kestrel)but have yet to edit it and post here and YouTube and/or Photobucket. I will get around to videoing the class 73 as well.

• I'm glad you like the 73 SRMan. The engine on the 73 has surprisingly deep bass. Here's how to double your volume and vastly improve the bass without spending any money!;

The Hornby / Lima 73 has a vast amount of empty space inside that can act perfectly as one big speaker enclosure. What you need to do is to build the drive unit from your bass reflex into that enclosure, facing downwards. You can do this at engine room floor level, or at the bottom of the tanks, but you must seal all around it so that air from the front of the speaker cannot leak back into the body. The hole in the bass reflex speaker can be sealed (or cut off completely). If you use a craft knife you'll find that your bass reflex speaker will split in two fairly easily along the join. Then, after cutting a suitable hole in the bottom of the loco it's only a 10 minute job with some thick plasticard to build it in and form a seal around it. Let it dry and then check for leaks by holding it up to the light. Once you're happy, fire up the sound and it will blow your socks off.

Alternatively, keep your bass reflex for another loco and use one of the massive 28x40 speakers from Alan Butcher and your 73 will be even better. They're available from Digitrains. If you do use one of those, make sure you seal the 4 mounting holes too. This same technique can be used in quite a few other locos and units (Hornby Eurostar, Bachmann Voyager, 158 etc etc).

Bif

• 2 weeks later...

A little something to blow the cobwebs away. It's nice and short, but then, as you will see, that's the point really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np39dh3K1Tg

This is my ViTrains Class 37 with Zimo DCC sound onboard. notice the 'just out-shopped' weathing effect, Ha Ha!

This is the very latest version of my Class 37 sounds, Multi-Drive V2.0. There are 6 different sound sets on the same decoder, so you should find something to suit you.

Please note, this is not the manual notching option, but a new feature which allows Zimo decoders to over-ride a 'normal' driving sounds progression to give a 'Coasting' option, completely unconnected with the actual road speed.

Clip was shot at MRX in Manchester Transport Museum 20/05/2012, and demonstrates the new 'coasting function in the 'Thrash' driving scheme. This allows the 'driver' to reduce the apparent power, (immediately with the press of a function key on the DCC controller, without slowing the actual speed of the model.

You might also just detect that the engine sounds ramp up again before the loco accelerates away.

All this happens within the length of the viaduct, so it will probably work great on your shunting layout too.

Thanks to Savoyard and the Holcombe Brook & Tottington layout crew who kindly helped make this video.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2