Troutons

enginelane

Having been inspired by your BTA's, I have just forked out £100+ on 8 X BDA's for conversion.

Just hope I can do them justice and get them somewhere near the standard of yours!

Karl

Will look out the sizes for the evergreen stock and if the straws workout as a load I still have 900 if you wanted some!

Will look out the sizes for the evergreen stock and if the straws workout as a load I still have 900 if you wanted some!

I used evergreen 80 thou by 80 thou strip and the stanchions were made 7ft long. There is a prominent hole at the top of each stanchion which I drilled before I put on the wagon for first one I made but of course forgot to do for the other three wagons!

I used evergreen 80 thou by 80 thou strip and the stanchions were made 7ft long. There is a prominent hole at the top of each stanchion which I drilled before I put on the wagon for first one I made but of course forgot to do for the other three wagons!

Thanks, you have just pre-empted my question about the stanchion sizes, I have been researching photos ready for when my parcel comes down the East Lancs Road from a certain supplier.

Everything is just in the planning stage at the moment whilst my elbow replacement sorts itself out after coming off my mountain bike at the back end of last year.

Karl

Delivery from Fox Transfers means that the existing BTA can also have its code added. Not sure why I ordered the the large EWS sticker, digit error!

Hi, What Fox pack numbers did you use? I am assuming the following:

F4214/2 for the OH Flashes

F4979/4 for the data panels

F4979/1 for the EWS lettering

Karl

Hi,

What straws did you use for the pipes as they look really effective and I might have to copy this idea :)

They are called traditional cocktail 8" black straws. I am now on the third type of glue as they are shiney and glue just sits there. Need to build up the layers and let them dry for at least 10 times before attempting to add the next layer. The wooden strip that represent the battens are helping create a more solid structure. If you are not wanting to run empty as well as loaded then could glue straight onto the bolster.

I am currently using Gorilla superglue. If it works then will gladly send you some straws as I have no need for 850,

post-9435-0-45062200-1454236067_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

All four wagons now have a load. Going to leave for a few hours to let the superglue go fully off. I think they capture the load quite well and if they do break apart they are only straws after all! Have a can of rustoleum oxide primer to get an even coating and then aim to add just a touch of Vietnam earth and light rust powders. Need to add strapping and ready to run at Sheffield in March

post-9435-0-35331900-1454237373_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 5

Weathered wood added but straps still missing and cannot be bothered tonight with the fiddly bits. If anyone is doing same might suggest two coats of primer as one layer is scratching off in places. Will need careful handling in use! The model pipes are not as sturdy as the real ones!

post-9435-0-54010100-1454278305_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Can confirm the sanded straws do make a difference. Glue grabs better onto the wooden strips and paint is less likely to flake away. However I do not think the loads are going to take kindly to be constantly taken on and off without to top up the paint.

A little more weathering and my rake is ready to roll at the Sheffield Show 19th 20th March, Keighley Ingrow Carriage Shed 9th 10th April, Wigan 1st 2nd Oct and final show 2016 Wakefield 18/19/20th Nov

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Successful day running at Sheffield, first 30 mins a little ropey as remember the individual charateristics of engines and stock but pleased in general how the layout ran after being stored after Warley .

Pipe train had a little run out and looked good but will have to refinish some of the pipes as the straws shedding their paint

post-9435-0-29163600-1458416993.jpeg

• Like 9