Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

Would it? I'm not so sure. The Cravens is a different issue as there were only 19 TCLs and they went very early (1969/70?). Did any go into BR blue? I would have thought the Class 108 was a better example.

Would tooling up a Power Twin only generate sufficient sales to justify the cost? Many ordinary modellers will probably be happy with any 2-car version in their livery of choice and won't care about the extra accuracy of a power twin if that's more correct for their operating area, if they have one. Others, which includes me, are likely to wait for a three car version to appear.

Time will tell - hopefully in the new 2015/16 catalogue.

The 19 Cravens 3-car units lost their centre cars around 1969. Some did survive long enough to carry blue livery, including one that worked on the final day of the GC between Nottingham and Rugby.

https://flic.kr/p/KxaAMi

Bachmann did a 3-car 108 but I think it was not a great choice as there were only five 3-car and six 4-car 108s, the latter having a trailer brake second.  All other 108s, from memory around 150 units, were 2-car including some power-twins, which Bachmann have also done.

By contrast, there were lots of 3-car Met-Cam sets. The Hornby ex-Lima Met-Cam is not a bad model so I still use them as my 3-car units.

That's really interesting about the buses.  I remember a few years ago travelling on a Routemaster for the first time after many years and thought it didn't siund anything like what I'd remembered from before.  Someone later told me they changed the engines from AEC to Leyland.  I thought the more modern engine sounded roughter!

Ok a bit OT but just to clear this up Routemasters were originally fitted with either an AEC AV590 or a Leyland 0600 engine. The Leyland ones had a bit more of a roar. In the 1990s there was a major re-engineering programme during which Scania or Iveco engines were fitted. These had a different sound but retained the original transmission. The final re-engineering programme was the Marshall rebuilds of the early 2000s. These took the rag bag of remaining AEC engined RMs (some of which had come back to London having been in provincial service) and fitted them with new Cummins engines and Allison gearboxes. These don't sound anything like classic RMs! The heritage RMs on route 15 are all Marshall rebuilds, although some have now been retrofitted with original pattern interiors.   

• RMweb Premium

The 19 Cravens 3-car units lost their centre cars around 1969. Some did survive long enough to carry blue livery, including one that worked on the final day of the GC between Nottingham and Rugby.

https://flic.kr/p/KxaAMi

Bachmann did a 3-car 108 but I think it was not a great choice as there were only five 3-car and six 4-car 108s, the latter having a trailer brake second.  All other 108s, from memory around 150 units, were 2-car including some power-twins, which Bachmann have also done.

By contrast, there were lots of 3-car Met-Cam sets. The Hornby ex-Lima Met-Cam is not a bad model so I still use them as my 3-car units.

Hi Robert

Oh dear!!!!! Guess who has three of them, but they look nice. :boast:

I also have a four car unit with TBS.

Ben Jones reviews the Bachmann NSE sound fitted Class 101 in the latest BRM.

An informative article and great photo.

Looks excellent.  I'm attending the Spalding exhibition this weekend and hope to purchase one - but hoping some trader will offer a discount off the ££269.95 RRP!

I don't think the NSE one is in the shops yet.  Bachmann website is saying due in the next 60 days, updated 10th November.  Initial lowest price of these should be £229.46 if the 15% maximum discount is applied.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has got the NSE sound fitted 101 yet?

I'm curious to know whose sound project is in it.

I have got 3 different 101 projects already fitted into DMUs and I'm only quite happy with just one of them!  Ultra fussy I know, but as one that spent most of the 70's and 80's riding around in 101's and 105's in East Anglia I know how they should sound.  My biggest disappointment has been the very short first gear acceleration time, and you can't prolong it by driving style on any of the three sound projects I have.

I will probably get this latest Bachmann offering as I like the livery, but it will be a few more weeks before I can get to a "proper" model shop to hear one before I purchase.

So if anyone has one I'd be pleased to know what you think.

CDF

I don't think the NSE one is in the shops yet.  Bachmann website is saying due in the next 60 days, updated 10th November.  Initial lowest price of these should be £229.46 if the 15% maximum discount is applied.

You are spot on to the penny!

Hattons has them in stock for £229.46!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/182163/Bachmann_Branchline_32_290DS_Class_101_2_car_DMU_in_Network_SouthEast_livery_with_with_passenger_figures_and_/StockDetail.aspx

Just wondering if anyone has got the NSE sound fitted 101 yet?

I'm curious to know whose sound project is in it.

I have got 3 different 101 projects already fitted into DMUs and I'm only quite happy with just one of them! Ultra fussy I know, but as one that spent most of the 70's and 80's riding around in 101's and 105's in East Anglia I know how they should sound. My biggest disappointment has been the very short first gear acceleration time, and you can't prolong it by driving style on any of the three sound projects I have.

I will probably get this latest Bachmann offering as I like the livery, but it will be a few more weeks before I can get to a "proper" model shop to hear one before I purchase.

So if anyone has one I'd be pleased to know what you think.

CDF

can you adjust the CV values to change the acceleration rate? would that match the sound up better with gear changes possibly?

I have purchased one and made a quick video of some of the sounds. Will try and do some better videos once I get the CV settings right... to start with the unit goes too fast on my end to end layout with standard settings. It's a loksound chip etc

Hopefully you can pick out the gear change sound if not I can make another

https://youtu.be/bJAh0e60fGU

https://youtu.be/EWzC7iUe0h0

836E4D87-F8A7-4DC5-ABF0-A8EA7112D964_zps

I have purchased one and made a quick video of some of the sounds. Will try and do some better videos once I get the CV settings right... to start with the unit goes too fast on my end to end layout with standard settings. It's a loksound chip etc

Hopefully you can pick out the gear change sound if not I can make another

836E4D87-F8A7-4DC5-ABF0-A8EA7112D964_zps

47375 - Thank you very much for posting this very useful information.  The DMU looks and sounds good.

Your layout looks excellent too - fair play to you.

can you adjust the CV values to change the acceleration rate? would that match the sound up better with gear changes possibly?

Thanks GordonC.

I tried different CV3 settings for acceleration, and whilst I could get the unit to move off slower it doesn't prolong the engine noise to make a longer time before sound changes to second gear.

I spoke to Paul Chetter recently on the subject and he did in fact manage to reprogram my Zimo DMU decoder to make a longer first gear, but it appears you cannot vary the length by means of the throttle.  ie you are stuck with the same length of first gear sound whether you are in a yard or setting off from a station on the main line.  Not ideal, but I guess it's just a limitation of what you can do manually in DCC sound.

Hi all

To start with I couldn't get it to change gear on my 12ft layout so kept adjusting the acceleration cv, it's not perfect but better... main issue I have is there is no CV sheet in the box just says contact Bachmann for one

Will try and adjust the settings better later when I have more time as need to setup a longer test track indoors

Hi all

To start with I couldn't get it to change gear on my 12ft layout so kept adjusting the acceleration cv, it's not perfect but better... main issue I have is there is no CV sheet in the box just says contact Bachmann for one

Will try and adjust the settings better later when I have more time as need to setup a longer test track indoors

main issue I have is there is no CV sheet in the box just says contact Bachmann for one

That's one of the beauties of JMRI & a PC interface. You can read and save all of the CV's as a file. If you really c*ck up whilst adjusting the CVs you can reload your original saved file to the decoder and you're back to square one.

P

Hi all

Hi all

47375.  Thanks again for keeping us all updated with information on the Bachmann sound fitted 101.

£239 is a lot to fork out for a model  so we are grateful for your review.

If it's an ESU Loksound that is fitted, the CV's are as follows:

CV2 Start Voltage

CV3 Accelleration

CV4 Decelleration

CV5 Maximum Speed

CV6 Mid Speed

CV63 is the master volume.

The ESU Loksound manual can be downloaded here http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/ but beware it is not light reading!  I started on it one evening  before bed time and it gave me nightmares haha! :no:

I have tweaked all my ESU's to suit my layout length driving requirements.

But before I changed anything I noted down the original values of the CV'son each project in case I messed up wanted to revert!

I'd still like to know who did the sound on Bachmann's project. From your video clips, 47375, it sounds similar to the one I purchased from Coastal DCC.

Thanks again and please keep us posted.

I will have a look through the paperwork but don't think it says you did the actual sound file just that it's ESU Loksound.. if I can get it to sit on the rolling road I will do another sound video, when blowing the horns it sounds very clear and loud, much better than older Bachmann on board sound stuff I have... £229 is a lot to pay but with the sound and people inside it's not quite as bad, better value than the new white one I guess.... I had been popping some money aside each month to justify it in my own mind!

Here is a couple of photos of the lighting you can see where the speaker is as there is no lightning there I think

2B6074C6-7579-46E8-8F3B-D8E8D66EB207_zps

83CA43F4-DC18-4F85-996F-4A4BACF54215_zps

• RMweb Gold

I'd still like to know who did the sound on Bachmann's project. From your video clips, 47375, it sounds similar to the one I purchased from Coastal DCC.

I think I am right in saying all the Bachmann projects to date have come from South West Digital.

A question perhaps aimed at sound fitted model aficionados at large, but seems relevant to this model in particular if I may...

So, can you put it into "coast" whilst moving?

I recollect the clunk and fart starting off from stations and the drive then being disengaged to negotiate pointwork etc., drivers only applying power again when the gradient or linespeed required it.

In fact, given an undulating railway line, you could spend half your time coasting.

C6T.

A question perhaps aimed at sound fitted model aficionados at large, but seems relevant to this model in particular if I may...

So, can you put it into "coast" whilst moving?

I recollect the clunk and fart starting off from stations and the drive then being disengaged to negotiate pointwork etc., drivers only applying power again when the gradient or linespeed required it.

In fact, given an undulating railway line, you could spend half your time coasting.

C6T.

I have both Legoman and Paul Chetter's first generation DMU sounds.  You can indeed coast with both.  Just reduce the throttle back a couple of stops which.(when using 128 steps) doesn't make any difference to runninjg speed.  The unit then coasts.  To engage gear again increase the throttle by another couple of steps.

As mentioned before, my only disappointment with these first generation DMU sounds is not being able to control the length of the engine revs between gear changes.  In other words you get the same duration of first gear accelleration sound whether you are just doing a short movement in the yard or trying to pull off from a station/signal stop on the main line.

This is only a problem with these old mechanical diesel engines where there was direct drive with a gearbox similar to driving a manual gearbox road vehicle.

On real diesel electric locos you rev the diesel engine to charge the electric traction motors. So the DCC sound is much more realistic on these.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I've found that the 128 speed step gives a much better operation of a sound equipped DMU than 28. I've been able to have more flexibility in the gears, at a slower speed than when trying out such a unit on 28. On speed step 28 it is just too fast and is not so easy to control. I hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Rob.

Archived