861 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

I think I've got to where I want to be in order to use this machine in my modelling, treating it as an aid similar to my lathes; miller, profile miller etc.

I want some windows for a factory for my EM layout and that will be my next drawing job; using CorelDraw and Studio3. I doubt my ability to reach the standards some of you on here have already reached but if I live long enough, who knows?

My steep learning curve over the last two or three weeks has left me with four little huts I shall probably never use:-

post-1295-0-30315600-1416326327.jpg

From the left:

From Jason's tutorial about Studio3;  

From Mike's tutorial about Inkscape;

From my Corel Drawing, poorly converted to DFX and luckily(??) very close to 3mm scale;

Finally, from my Corel drawing but correctly exported to Studio.

No2 was drawn to what I thought a more likley size/shape; its not an error! No4 was modified to a right-hand side, outward opening door with cast steel hinges (too big- that is an error).

• Like 1

If you look on Amazon there are many alternatives.

but how thick are they? at a guess the silhouette mat is about 20thou, and the machine can just about take 40though plasticard stuck to it, so to be useful the mat needs to be about 40thou/1mm thick -most self healing cutting mats seem to be 3mm thick, most plotter/cutter mats are what I have now, a thin bit of plastic with something sticky on one side :( 

What I want is a 1mm thin self-healing mat that I can spray with spray mount to provide a resiliant cutting mount for cutting through card or thin plastic, without needing a lot of cutter height experimentation.

Jon

The first one I looked up gave the thickness at 0.3mm.

Did you want me to check all of them for you?

No, but I have looked at 10 and they either quote 2 or 3mm thick or unspecified thickness.

It would help if you could identify the 0.3mm one

The first one I looked up gave the thickness at 0.3mm.

Did you want me to check all of them for you?

No but a link to that one would be helpful, because I think you are talking apples (or with your avatar should that be bananas? ), and I'm looking for an orange...

Jon

No but a link to that one would be helpful, because I think you are talking apples (or with your avatar should that be bananas? ), and I'm looking for an orange...

Jon

It's been a pleasure trying to help you, Jon. Are you always this polite when people try to help?

Has anyone looked for a thin self-healing cutting mat that could replace the easily cut plastic one? I did some card cutting (rather than plasticard scoring) and have broken through to mark the mat underneath.

Thanks,

jon

I suspect that 'self healing' and 'thin' may be incompatible!  If you fancy browsing through a wide selection, try http://www.price-kicker.co.uk/search/self+healing+cutting+mats?_utmk=196ce76471dfc931460b41fac79d80ae45d6cc319750b8e1efe195365c83fd41&_utmm=cGstZW5fR0ItbGFi&_utmit=pvgl_import&_utmc=36051551525&_utms=0&_utmfs=3&gclid=CI2BuYT-hsICFcrLtAodXSMAxQ#.VGy3g2eK4_c

Mike

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.giffourhuts.jpgI think I've got to where I want to be in order to use this machine in my modelling, treating it as an aid similar to my lathes; miller, profile miller etc.

I want some windows for a factory for my EM layout and that will be my next drawing job; using CorelDraw and Studio3. I doubt my ability to reach the standards some of you on here have already reached but if I live long enough, who knows?

My steep learning curve over the last two or three weeks has left me with four little huts I shall probably never use:-

attachicon.giffourhuts.jpg

From the left:

From Jason's tutorial about Studio3;  

From Mike's tutorial about Inkscape;

From my Corel Drawing, poorly converted to DFX and luckily(??) very close to 3mm scale;

Finally, from my Corel drawing but correctly exported to Studio.

No2 was drawn to what I thought a more likley size/shape; its not an error! No4 was modified to a right-hand side, outward opening door with cast steel hinges (too big- that is an error).

Hi Dave, have you thought about putting together a beach scene? :)

Not just beach huts but garden sheds too.

I wonder if there's any mileage in having a 'repository' somewhere such as a special thread, for people who are willing to share their creations free with others?*

(*I think it'll be al ong time until I can add anything...)

• Like 2

It's been a pleasure trying to help you, Jon. Are you always this polite when people try to help?

The first sentence in your answer of yesterday might have been trying to be helpful, but as I have indicated* I can't tell, because without a link I believe we are not talking about the same thing, but are you really trying to tell me your second sentence was intended to be even slightly 'helpful'? :dontknow:

* obviously my humour was lost on you I apologise - how was I supposed to know that your avatar wasn't just photo of chimp in a mildly amusing pose?

Sorry to everyone else for having brought such negativity to an otherwise very positive thread.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cromptonnut.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I've a few files dotted about RMWeb that could be brought into one place if anyone else wants to add their stuff. Andy Y has allowed both Inkscape .svg and .dxf files to be added to posts. The .dxf are good for importing into Silhouette Studio directly, whereas .svg files are better if anyone wants to make amendments. I post both file types (see the Armstrong-Whitworth thread below), but I'd be happiest using .svg files myself. Silhouette studio files aren't included because unfortunately, although this software is good for cutting, etc, files created in studio can only be opened in studio. It isn't possible to convert them into any other filetype. You could say it's a bit of a dead end.

cheers

Jason

Hi Jason

I recently bought a Silhouette Cameo. What a fantastic machine and the software is so easy to use.

I followed your 'coal office' post instructions for my first effort.

I just wanted to say how much that helped and to thank you for the fantastic posts you have made on this forum.

The only thing I can't work out at the minute is that all my on screen measurements are in 'inches' (I have downloaded your template and ruler though, which is proving very useful. My instructions for the machine say that if I go  file-preferences then I can alter the on-screen measurements from mm to inches. However, when I click 'file' I don't have a 'preferences' option.

Once again, many thanks.

Terry

'Earl's Court' model railway.

ecmr.webs.com

The first sentence in your answer of yesterday might have been trying to be helpful, but as I have indicated* I can't tell, because without a link I believe we are not talking about the same thing, but are you really trying to tell me your second sentence was intended to be even slightly 'helpful'? :dontknow:

* obviously my humour was lost on you I apologise - how was I supposed to know that your avatar wasn't just photo of chimp in a mildly amusing pose?

Sorry to everyone else for having brought such negativity to an otherwise very positive thread.

Jon

Like I said, impolite and having the expectation that people will just do things for you. I'm not sure how telling you what you wanted to know is being impolite, or 'might have been' trying to be helpful. And what has my avatar got to do with it? I suppose at least it's an adult chimp...

The only thing I can't work out at the minute is that all my on screen measurements are in 'inches' (I have downloaded your template and ruler though, which is proving very useful. My instructions for the machine say that if I go  file-preferences then I can alter the on-screen measurements from mm to inches. However, when I click 'file' I don't have a 'preferences' option.

Terry, try "Edit > Preferences" instead, the measurement unit setting is under "General" on the right hand side of the screen.

Like I said, impolite and having the expectation that people will just do things for you. I'm not sure how telling you what you wanted to know is being impolite, or 'might have been' trying to be helpful. And what has my avatar got to do with it? I suppose at least it's an adult chimp...

OK, I'll admit to being a bit lost here..... Are you just being pedantic? I asked 'has anyone looked..' and you answered 'yes I've looked...' is that it? have I understood correctly?

I've not expected anyone to do anything for me, I'm more than capable of researching cutting mats and indeed had already done so, it just struck me that someone else might have done this before me, and had good (or bad) results to report, not least because of the self healing cutting mats that I looked at prior to posting the question, most did not tell me the thickness, or told me they were 3mm thick. One of RMweb's great benefits is the sharing and reapplication of knowledge, and I've felt that you responses to me have been less about that and more about..... I'm not sure what? If its that I haven't said please and thank you, well I'm sorry to have offended you in that fashion as well  -it was just a question that popped into my head, and I felt was worth typing whilst I remembered it.

Anyway I shall look out for a self healing cutting mat that is thin enough to go through my portrait and pass on the results of any trials I might do in the hope that such information proves helpful.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I lost a friend to cancer last week, so my initial edit of this post could have been too harsh. In essence, my post was to ask you to please give it a rest. It was obviously a misunderstanding that's been built upon. There's always PM if you want to continue your conversation.

----

Hi Terry

Thanks very much for your comments, the Silhouette certainly saves a lot of time, and is much more accurate with a knife than I am! It'd be great to see your results if possible.

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

Hi Mike Trice,

I noticed Erstfeldt Depot in one of your photos, very nice model, do you have any more photos of it to share, 'when time allows of course'?

I too made a model of Erstfeldt quite a few years ago now, to 3.5 mm scale, it was very big and it was the first of only two none British models I ever built.

best regards

Peter A Leyland

ps: I have a feeling a cameo cutter will be coming down the chimney this Christmas, I'm sure it will have its uses.:-)

Hi Mike Trice,

I noticed Erstfeldt Depot in one of your photos, very nice model, do you have any more photos of it to share, 'when time allows of course'?

I too made a model of Erstfeldt quite a few years ago now, to 3.5 mm scale, it was very big and it was the first of only two none British models I ever built.

best regards

Peter A Leyland

ps: I have a feeling a cameo cutter will be coming down the chimney this Christmas, I'm sure it will have its uses.:-)

PM sent.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

it's been quite a while since I've posted anything so thought I had better give an update.  I bought the Silver Bullet and have been learning and practicing how to use it for most of the time but without attempting much.

Now I have started on two little projects:  updating my Mulberry Harbour, plus building an Oil Rig/Platform.  It is still very early days however I am achieving some results (which need fine-tuning) with the cutter.

Here is a test run of the tower gantry for the oil rig, which is to 1:144 1:350 scale.  The tower scale height is 5 in (12.6cm).

tower_assembly_1st_attempt_144.jpg

Thanks to JCL, and everyone who has contributed on this thread, because without this I would not have known about cutters - or be able to construct something so intricate by hand. :locomotive:

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Mike. The Silver Bullet can cut thicker styrene than the Silhouette. To make us jealous, can you tell us what thickness you used for your structure?

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason,

I don't use very thick styrene, mainly as the scale is so small, so I only use 0.25mm (10 thou) or 0.5mm (20 thou) sheet.  I made a mistake in my info above, the oil rig is to 1:350 scale and the Mulberry Harbour will be to 1:144 scale.  The thickest sheet I have used so far is a piece of 0.75mm but that needed the biggest blade and highest settings, plus quite a few passes.

As already mentioned on here, I find the best way to get the detail and strength is to make two, or more, pieces and laminate them together.  In the case of the tower I have made an external frame (green below) with horizontal cross-braces as the first piece; then I made another external frame (blue below) but this time I added the diagonal cross-braces.  Laminating the two together (blue behind green) gives a more 3D effect with one set of spars positioned behind the others.

here is a view of the two frames, drawn in layers in Inkscape, which make a single side.  The great thing about using a cutter of course is that you can produce as many as you want!

tower_assembly_in_Inkscape.jpg

cheers

Mike

Edited by Royal42

Thanks very much Mike. The Silver Bullet can cut thicker styrene than the Silhouette. To make us jealous, can you tell us what thickness you used for your structure?

cheers

Jason

I have a silver bullet cutter but I haven't cut anything thicker than 20 thou so far so I can't comment on that, I just wanted to mention how cool the USB stick containing the user guide  you get with the Silver bullet is....

post-22541-0-68191000-1417338660_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-40642000-1417338555_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to play practical jokes on those airport security guys!

Edited by monkeysarefun