861 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been covered but with 36 pages how does one find an answer quickly?

I've been using CorelDraw12, converting to dxf and opening in Studio3: No problem!

However CorelD12 will not open some files I have archived and drawn with CorelDx5.

In deep frustration of being unable to open the x5 I purchased x7.

Result? I can open all my old x5 files but I can no longer save cdr files as dxf; version x7 does not support that feature.

I can find no way of saving my corel files to a form accepted by Studio3.

There must be a way!

Any reliable guidance from any one here please?

A very frustrated Dave at Honley Tank

Hi Dave,

Can't give a specific answer, but if you did  a web search along the lines of 'convert .xxx to .yyy' where xxx is the file extension of one of the types that corel saves, and .yyy is one of the extension types that Studio accepts, you may find something that may do the job. Something for you to do until someone else gives a specific answer. (it may be a two/three stage hop, 'though)

Best wishes,

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean you own CorelDraw v7 and v12? If so, can you open the cdr5 file in v7, then save it and open it in v12? If not, then how about trying uniconverter? Open your v 5 file and resale it, then convert to SVG either in the program if possible or with this: http://www.file-extensions.org/article/convert-cdr-files-for-freeunfortunately you'll then have to open or save in Inkscape.

Reading around, it seems that DXF was an optional install when you installed CorelDraw. Did you tick the box(es) to install extra filters? Filters is another way of saying import and export file formats.

http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_x3_and_older/f/27/p/29416/139003#139003

Edited by JCL

Dave

I thought it surprising that CorelDraw X7 would not support dxf format files.  When I looked at Corel support at this link, it says under "File Formats" and then "Supported file formats" that you can export in AutoCAD dxf format.  I downloaded the trial version of CorelDraw X7, drew a couple of simple shapes and exported the drawing as a dxf file - this opened perfectly in Inkscape and in Studio.

Edited by MickRalph

Dave

I thought it surprising that CorelDraw X7 would not support dxf format files.  When I looked at Corel support at this link, it says under "File Formats" and then "Supported file formats" that you can export in AutoCAD dxf format.  I downloaded the trial version of CorelDraw X7, drew a couple of simple shapes and exported the drawing as a dxf file - this opened perfectly in Inkscape and in Studio.

be aware that Studio v.3 has some problems with DXF files, whereas Studio v.2 seemed ok.  See #743 earlier in this thread for more details.

Silhouette have acknowledged the problem - see #767 above - bit I don't think there's been an update yet.

Mike

Hi everybody,

I think I worded my last post rather badly and caused some confusion among the ranks!

I’ll try again with my full CorelDraw story:

1.   I had a free download version of issue x5. This worked but with too many hiccups
 for my comfort. However I produced about ten drawings suitable to send to an
 etching company and these are on my hdd & back up. Then it started to lock-up

the computer every time I tried to boot up the program.

2.   A friend loaded me CoreDraw 12 when we both got our Silhouettes. He is able to
 cut directly from CorelDraw 12 but we could not get my system to do so.     

However, I could save in dxf, and Studio3 could then drive the cutter. All hunky-

dory.   Except version 12 could not read version x5 so my etching drawings were      still unavailable to me.

3. Next I found Amazon offering CorelDraw X7 Home & Student at about 60GBP and decided that owning that would solve my problems and the cost would be worth getting my etching drawings back.

4. On delivery, and to save any possible conflicts, I deleted both X5 and 12 versions and loaded my new ‘all singing, all dancing’ new program…

5. Result:- I now have access to my etching drawings but I find that Home & Student will not save in dxf so now my cutter drawings in CorelDraw cannot be read by Studio3, so I have no access to the Silhouette for them.

6. I no longer have versions x5 or 12 available otherwise I could open .cdr from X7, in either of them presumably, and then save as dxf. A bit of a bind!

7. I’ve contacted Corel who basically say” buy the full version”  (GBP600+!!!)

8. I’ve contacted Silhouette America who suggest buying their add-on program and using .svg files, but I seem to recollect reading on here that that was doubtful.

A some-what frustrated Dave at Honley Tank

With so many pages to look through I was hoping someone with a better memory than I could advise.

Hi Dave, in what formats can your corel draw save files? fwiw, there are many versions of dxf, all seem a bit 'iffy' at times, so we'll need to know which version Studio 3 expects.

So, it seems you can use your old drawings in c7, edit them, make new drawings, etc., and all you need to do is to get the results into Studio 3.

edit to add - I'm not trying to imply that you need to export/import in dxf - just pointing out that dxf versions differ, in case you find dxf doesn't work too well. Other file types may work just as well hpgl, dwg, etc.

Edited by raymw

8. I’ve contacted Silhouette America who suggest buying their add-on program and using .svg files, but I seem to recollect reading on here that that was doubtful.

I have bought the Studio 3 Designer Edition (which costs £30 from Yolo).  So far, I have only tried a couple of tests and I have yet to try cutting a big job, such as a coach side; I will report back when I do.

Mick

• Like 2

I have bought the Studio 3 Designer Edition (which costs £30 from Yolo).  So far, I have only tried a couple of tests and I have yet to try cutting a big job, such as a coach side; I will report back when I do.

Mick

Hello Mick, (and others!)

I had a sizing problem with Corel12, dxf & Studio, in November; you gave me the answer then - thanks.

Getting the latest, albeit the cheaper version of Corel, lost me the ability to save Corel in dxf.

It looks like you have given me the answer again, therfore double thanks! In your November 17th posting it looks as though you gave the answer before I asked the question.

Curses on 'old-age-memory'! Curses too on 1s & 0s and their digital ability to tie things up when you don't know what your doing.

Dave

I am not yet certain that Studio Designer Edition is the way to go.  I am not sure whether you can turn off cutting or scoring for different colours within a layer, or whether, having selected "cut by layers" all colours in a selected layer are cut sequentially (or indeed jumbled up together in the most economical cutting order).  Conversely, I think that when "cutting by colour", all lines of that colour in all layers may be cut together, which would be a disaster.  The manual is not clear, so that I think that I will have to ask Silhouette Support for guidance.  If this is the case, it would be necessay to delete created separate svg files for each layer, thus somewhat defeating the object.

If only CutWizard (www.hobbyplotter.de) would cut by "line colour" rather than by "line fill colour" it would do all we need when creating files in Inkscape or CorelDraw.  They said that they have no plans to add this functionality, but perhaps if enough of us emailed to ask for it ......?

Mick

Machine and laptop close to going through window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am totally unable to get the 'Portrait' to cut direct from either Corel or Inkscape.

The driver is installed but.....................?

Just now ,I've gone back to page four, and Mike T's posting of 2.12.13 and followed that to the letter (incidentally my 'print pref>basic setup' page is like Mike's not Jason's).

When I then click on 'print' I get a  Silhouette Series drop-down that asks me to click 'print' if I'm ready to cut.

Pressing 'print' results in the cutter giving a brief grunt, and then nothing.

Disgruntled of Honley.

edited27.12.14

Edited by Dave at Honley Tank

• RMweb Premium

Just had this through from Yolo

*15% off EVERYTHING at www.yolo.co.ukfrom 1st January to 15th January 2015 inclusive when you enter the code THINKNEW at checkout. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.

So that would bring the portrait down to about £105 including postage or thereabouts.

Jon

Oh (not a RMweb word) !!!!!!!

My Xmas present was ordered last week and arrived on Sunday......................all the way from Yolo :cry:

Jon

Be prepared  for some idiot questions from me. :unsure: :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, a new version of the Silhouette has been released http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/cameo. Most of the changes seems to be frou frou - a printed guideline, a colour touchscreen, a caddy for spare blades. I wonder if hte 100 free shapes you get includes some GNR 6 wheel all 3rds...

Unfortunately I can't see anything about blade pressure so I think your purchase is safe Clive! I hope you enjoy your new purchase. :)

cheers

Jason

p.s. Stupid questions are our speciality.

Just letting you know that according to Sizzix customer service, their 'eclips2' can cut 1mm styrene using double passes. And its cutting blade pressure I believe is higher than the silhouette. I will have to wait for it to come though; curse Father Christmas and his snail sleigh!

Dane

Can I just say that this thread Has a lot to answer for, as I am now the owner of a portrait got for me for Xmas. I have already had a play, and cut some wagon sides out as a trial for the 10ft 16ton mineral wagon. A very simple shape to start with. I have to say, the possibilities are great.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason and to everyone else who has contributed to this fascinating thread.   You have convinced me enough to purchase a Silhouette Cameo cutter.  This  arrived just before Christmas.   Although I haven't powered it up yet I intend to use it to help construct buildings for my Pwllheli layout (see Pwllheli next stop thread)  So now the learning curve and hard work begins.....

Best wishes

CC

• Like 1

Just had this through from Yolo

*15% off EVERYTHING at www.yolo.co.ukfrom 1st January to 15th January 2015 inclusive when you enter the code THINKNEW at checkout. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.

So that would bring the portrait down to about £105 including postage or thereabouts.

Jon

Many thanks for the tipoff Jon, just ordered a portrait using your code - £106.25 inc post and VAT... 

Happy New Year - John E.

Very interesting this.

I wonder would any owner of these machines be willing to accept a commission? I need some roof girders for a diesel depot I am building. I have made some out of thin card but feel they are too flimsy and random, so I have decided a better option would be to laminate 3 pieces of thin styrene for each girder. They are basically long rectangles with 6 sided holes cut out, I am struggling to describe this as you can tell... I will try to attach a photo.

I have artwork in Adobe Illustrator which I can email.

Help!

:-)

Pete

The horizontal girders on the pic.... As you can see, they are currently rubbish. I am going to space them more evenly and hopefully make them more rigid.

Edit: damn, they are the horizontal ones when you turn the pic on its side!

post-583-0-87941500-1420478989_thumb.jpg

Edited by meurglys3