Bescot Steam Shed succumbs to the bulldozers

I know its all very well be saying this now and perhaps I should have done something but. The steam shed at Bescot should have been 'Listed'.

Mind you if the local authority decides they want a bit of land it does not seem to matter what stands on it, for it to be made available.

• RMweb Gold

those are my pics, they are on here too in the "forgotten railways of the west midlands" thread

i have got a few more but i've not bothered uploading them, i have also sent some to various railway mags, while i was there i got pics of the down tower which i believe will be going soon too

here is a link to some plans for the area directly behind the shed

http://opusblueprint.com/Opus-Blueprint-iBrochure.pdf

the diesel depot is coming down soon as well, replaced by a simple fuelling facility

i particularly like this picture.....

http://www.bescot.plus.com/fullsize/SteamShedDemolition_0034.jpg

It came as a bit of a shock when I drove past this morning to see an excavator in the pile of rubble that remains there. I can only assume that its gone because it was falling apart and deemed safer to pull down than be left to fall down. The land it stood on is hardly ripe for redevelopment, being hemmed in by the railway and/or river Tame on 3 sides and the housing to the south standing up on an embankment. A pity no further use could be found via relocation and reconstruction, but realistically, how many places could need (or afford) such an extensive structure? It was always only a matter of time, and if I'm honest its a surprsie that it lasted so long. Still, its a shame to see one of the last steam age survivors go.

The developers could have used the shed as the rail link they are talking about.

A noble suggestion, but this is a bit like a solution looking for a problem to solve.  I don't see a steam shed as having any of the flexibility or functionality required to serve the demands of a modern logistics transhipment hub.

Full marks, but sadly a romantic notion, I feel.

A noble suggestion, but this is a bit like a solution looking for a problem to solve.  I don't see a steam shed as having any of the flexibility or functionality required to serve the demands of a modern logistics transhipment hub.

Full marks, but sadly a romantic notion, I feel.

Was a 'Tongue in Cheek' comment, but it could have made this sterile looking 'industrial' complex look a bit more interesting, or even potentially an interesting staff canteen or visitors centre!

I'll get me coat! 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting!

It looks like a new bridge will be constructed under the South Staffs line to allow access (as per the brochure).

So the South Staffs still has a future and it's trackbed is worth preserving eh?

Looks like the filthy stinking rubbish-strewn brook will be landscaped and probably make a nice picnic area for the workers too.

It'll take a lot to remove the smell of slurry and probably all noxious chemicals know to man though.

Last time I walked down the road to Bescot from Wednesbury it was a rat and fly-tip infested disgrace so this is all much better - if it's done properly and if the surrounding area is cleaned up too.... 

Very Interesting...

I have took several photos over the last few years of that Steam shed each time I have visited Bescot, thinking one day that will be gone... Shame really

Thanks for sharing that cant wait for the next time I go now to see the differance it will have made...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I have been moving rooms and I came across some 'Spotting notes' from 1982 at Bescot and I have made an entry 'Took Photos of Steam Shed'.

My friend has just given me a negative scanner so I will look for the negatives. (I cannot find any prints, so they and the negatives may still be with my 1st wife. Well binned!).

Interesting!

It looks like a new bridge will be constructed under the South Staffs line to allow access (as per the brochure).

So the South Staffs still has a future and it's trackbed is worth preserving eh?

The bridge is already built!  You can examine it on Google Street View.

Archived