Trent Valley Show - 2014

Northpoint

. Everybody happy now??? :pardon: :friends:

Well my layout's full name is Portway Center.... to distinguish it from the off-scene - but signposted - places of Portway North and... wait for it....

... Portway South....

It'll make more sense in 2015 or so when it has staging at each end, so it's in the middle.

...& note US spelling of Center ;)

Pedant Mode/OFF :blush:

20140116_195644.jpg

I love a challenge me...

At least you've started yours! I'm waiting for payday on friday before I can get the once remaining switch I need to get the trackwork done. :)

It's not a complex layout so I can get it done with plenty of time - barring some kind of natural disaster of course! :D

Apologies to Colin as well - I'll give you my extra L...

Everybody happy now??? :pardon: :friends:

No problem, just 'avin a larf!

I'm used to misspellings.....the funniest was may last "O" being joined to the first "L"......dear Mr Wodley!!

ColinW

H-A-P-P-Y Bunny :)

At least you've started yours! I'm waiting for payday on friday before I can get the once remaining switch I need to get the trackwork done. :)

It's not a complex layout so I can get it done with plenty of time - barring some kind of natural disaster of course! :D

I'm intrigued....where you gonna fit another switch?

ColinW

You misunderstand Colin - the picture is Robatron's layout, I was just quoting him. :)

Nick has my trackplan, shouldn't be long before I get it built - as soon I get paid I'll have all the track required, I already have the baseboards built. I should be able to begin the scenery work on it by the end of Feb. :)

Plenty of time to get it ready. I hope!

You misunderstand Colin - the picture is Robatron's layout, I was just quoting him. :)

Nick has my trackplan, shouldn't be long before I get it built - as soon I get paid I'll have all the track required, I already have the baseboards built. I should be able to begin the scenery work on it by the end of Feb. :)

Plenty of time to get it ready. I hope!

That's the TVNAM spirit...!

Quick question... for those of us who are running a layout on our own, will there be time to have a look at everyone elses layouts? :)

That's a loaded question....! I've done a couple of shows recently on my own and I'd have to say "never again"- for starters it isn't fair on the average operator's concentration level or the public watching, and even the smallest of layouts need ancillary stuff doing whilst the trains run such as cleaning and sorting stock out. The home clubs in question were able to provide minders whilst I went for lunch, but again it wasn't really fair on them or the public because they didn't know the layout or prototype, and weren't comfortable with the control methods or the overhead wires. So in these cases, someone standing guard with a "Back in 10 minutes" sign would have been better. I think the all-time record was going to a trader with a list an hour before the show started, and only going back 15 minutes before closing on the second day. I must be doing something wrong, there used to be an understanding that builders never operated their layouts and all I've seen of some shows is the route from the door to the layout, and then to the lunch area....

However, TVNAM is slightly different as it is more informal. In the past I've covered various layouts in a room as a spare operator, and it ought to be easy to find someone willing to help for a few minutes.

I try to have a group of helpers who can give operators breaks. Plus I'm sure there will be many people in the audience who would be more than happy to take a turn at the wheel....

It worked fine last year, and with a bit of luck you can get a quick look round before the queue comes in - that really depends how long it takes you to set up, of course!

It worked fine last year, and with a bit of luck you can get a quick look round before the queue comes in - that really depends how long it takes you to set up, of course!

Plonk it down, plug it in. :P

Now the burning question... to DCC or not to DCC?  :O

Quick question... for those of us who are running a layout on our own, will there be time to have a look at everyone elses layouts? :)

'Peforia Narrows' is specifically designed around the context of somebody else doing the operating.  Available free time can vary depending on the aptitude of the punter, ranging from 10 mins to a couple of hours on some occasions :fie:

I'm bringing the wife as a 2nd operator for that exact reason. I hope I can get away with going to the pub for a couple of hours...

Actually I get to so few Shows (& exhibit at even less) I won't be missing the Show for a Pub crawl I can do another time... :D

I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the line up shouldn't change much..........................ahem, looking to replace Missoula (which hasn't been worked on) with yet another switching layout - Landor Street, which has been worked on and developing quite quickly - part of the CF7 clan.

Will be in contact soon Nick.................promise :scratchhead:

I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the line up shouldn't change much..........................ahem, looking to replace Missoula (which hasn't been worked on) with yet another switching layout - Landor Street, which has been worked on and developing quite quickly - part of the CF7 clan.

Will be in contact soon Nick.................promise :scratchhead:

GRRRRRRRR!!!

Dear Prospective Exhibitors,

Ahhh the advantage  a tail-chaser,,,,,set a train running and grab your lunch!

Um, not necessarily so. for Analog users, a dead-simple "dumb timer" reverser can keep things running nicely on a P2P layout, and it's a single toggle to flip at-the-drop-of-a-hat between "auto" and "fully manual" control... (Gaugemaster has you covered for RTR option, or you can DIY for much cheaper and with a longer shuttle time, by following the circuit presented on the Rob Paisley "Misc electronics for Model Railroads" website 

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/AutoRevCheap.html )

For the DCC users, the analog systems had it all over you up until last year, when Tam Valley Depot heard the cry, saw the screaming need, and produced the "train shuttle"...

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/trainshuttle.html

Consider, how is it that I am regularly showing "Brooklyn : 3AM" and "Chicago Fork" as a solo operator, while not being tied to "keeping the trains running"???

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS Daniel B,

- Analog for sheer train-running reliability and simplicity,
- DCC for "tech-gasm" value... 

• 2 months later...

Archived