Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

'Ashcombe'

georgeT

Go on, go roundy roundy, you know you want to, hahhahaha.

You can't keep a good man down, well not for long anyway. I am working on a plan to extend Ashcombe to join on with my next plan and have a 30 ft MONSTROSITY. hahhahahaaaaeeeeeee.

Bodgit.

Hi George,

I think he's just itching to get back into it! As usual, you should do what you feel is best for you. It really is great news on the Bodgit health front though, as long as he doesn't try to rush it. I'm sure Dee is doing her best to keep him tied down but he must be really frustrated!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Baron / Jock,   Roundy-round, l don't think so, hahaha, anyway l'm not listening to you any more Baron as you just lead me astray and you have cost me thousands of pounds over the years with trying to keep up with you hahaha..

Anyway l have made a bit of a street on the end of the station, will have some pavement and a bus stop on soon...

George

post-7716-0-35045800-1403356446_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-97174000-1403356449_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-67785300-1403356453_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-86206900-1403356456_thumb.jpg

Looking good George - things happen so fast on 'Ashcombe'! I wish I could work at that rate and with a portion of the skill - keep it up mate, the Bodge is watching hahaha!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Looking good George - things happen so fast on 'Ashcombe'! I wish I could work at that rate and with a portion of the skill - keep it up mate, the Bodge is watching hahaha!

Kind regards,

Jock.

George's speed is putting me to shame, it will be some time before I can get to this stage with a Layout again.

Pity your not nearer Jock or we could all meet up at a show sometime.

Andy,

That would be fantastic but travel is really difficult for me at the moment - two of my tumours are in the pelvis and so sitting is a problem! I can drive in the old fashioned 'single seater' laid back fashion but weariness is a factor. Our holiday in the West Country can only be managed because our daughter currently lives half way there and Joanna can take short spells on the motorway but isn't at all confident outside Clacton!

I think I'm going to have to stick to Suffolk or Norfolk in future - still there's always Bressingham for the smell of steam. As to model railways, this site is doing very well in terms of feeding my interest and I truly feel I now have an extended supportive family for which I am extremely grateful!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS just put a post in the lounge re, your health so won't repeat here.

Good Morning Jock,   l must admit getting old is not as great as you think,  Bodgit and l used to go to hundreds of model railway exhibition over the years all over the place and could stand for hours and hours spending the whole day at some, but we cannot stand up for long these days maybe an hour or so and then have to sit down for a rest,

l am very glad you find some inspiration with 'Ashcombe' and going by the comments/replies and likes l have had tells me that others are enjoying it too, and the pictures showing step by step details on how things are constructed helps others in their building, l too watch and learn from other great modellers here on the RMWeb, 

l feel that l to have an extended family on here , l have met some of the guys who have made comments on 'Ashcombe' in person at various shows with Bodgit and l must admit they are a great bunch of guys, never know we might meet up in the future, maybe a coffee if Bodgits buying ?,, hahaha

George

Just spent the morning running trains on a friends layout in 'O gauge' for a change, and l gave my scratchbuilt 4f a good old running session, as l have said l will build some O gauge kits as a break from 'Ashcombe' here she is running light engine after dropping off some wagons...

post-7716-0-27053100-1403451495_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob,  l really think l made a big mistake in selling most of my O gauge locos, as they take so long to build, but l really don't have the room or the money, (two things you really needed for upgrading to O), so l decided to sell them to finance my new venture into OO and DCC, the money l got has paid for everything on 'Ashcombe' and with a bit left over..

But having been away from O for a few months you do miss it, and after l went to a friends to look at his O gauge layout, l was amazed at how much he had got in a layout of 10' x 1', only then did l realise the mistake l had made ? too late.

So with the money l have left over l will buy a kit or two in O gauge, but l only want to build locos and to run them on the O gauge layout at the club l still belong to, thats the plan anyway..     Regards George

Hi George - I made the same mistake many years back, but saw the (Expensive) light - Good idea to have a few bits of stock to run on the club layout - But as they say in the song "You can check out anytime you want - But you can never leave" :nono:

Cheers, Bob.

Very early good morning George,

I remember being blown away with Trebudoc when it appeared in BRM - sadly I have neither the room nor the funds for that scale but it's hard to beat for realism. Mind you, your efforts in 4mm are very realistic in any case.

Didn't know Bob was an Eagles fan?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Bob / Jock,  'Bodgit' got me into O gauge, when he sold some of his un-wanted OO stock up here in Manchester, he then came to visit with his first acquisition an lvatt 2-6-2 tank, in BR Black, it was enormous and so powerful looking and l fell in love with it, and then a few weeks later he returned with a Hejan class 47 in BR Blue, again so big, heavy and powerful l then got the bug for O gauge.

So l was going down the O gauge route, and started scratch-building lots of stock, as you can see in my other threads, that was about four years ago, the rest you know with 'Ashcombe', anyway l had two locos left out of ten O gauge builds, the remaining two were put away in a drawer and forgot about, until a friend came round and wanted to see them, and thats when the bug bit once again (will we ever learn) NO  hahaha

George

Good Morning Jock,    Yes 'Trebudoc' was a very nice layout indeed and lovely to operate and one of Andys best, l was pleased to have some input with the buildings, but there again we come to the same problem space and dosh, also Andy went down the 'SOUND' road so every loco on the layout had to be fitted with sound chips even more expense,

George

Morning George,

I have to say that Bodgit has also inspired me but Joanna, retired accounts person, quickly applies the financial reins so problem solved! I hope to sell off lots of my large book and magazine collection, as well as lots of other items, that I don't want to leave as a burden for SWMBO when I finally shrug off the mortal coil. I can then begin, hopefully late in the autumn, to self finance the modelling I have on the drawing board! Holiday in Somerset and Cornwall starting this Thursday so I'll not worry about it till I return. Should be able to post occasionally whilst away as both places claim to have wi-fi!

I hope you take Ashcombe to some sort of completion before you are tempted back into the 'big' scale as I'm thoroughly enjoying the progress and learning as you go!! But hey - it's your life mate hahaha, to echo our esteemed friend!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Peter,  You just cant do without O gauge in your life ? once its in the blood thats it, l tried to kick it but couldn't, everytime l look at the lovely models you and others on the kitbuild section are turning out makes me even more determined to still keep my toes in the water.

'Ashcombe'  is starting to take shape now and l am pleased with it, this is the general view of the station board..

post-7716-0-82055100-1403532271_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-56374100-1403532275_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob,  Thanks for the encouragement mate, l am quite happy the way its going, as its so much different when you build something for yourself as there are no deadlines or plans, you just do what you feel is right at the time, need to do some scenery next, but l think l will air brush the track first, but l have to work right up to next tuesday so l will do it then ?

Have you had anymore thoughts about going back to OO ?

George

Hello Bob,  Thanks for the encouragement mate, l am quite happy the way its going, as its so much different when you build something for yourself as there are no deadlines or plans, you just do what you feel is right at the time, need to do some scenery next, but l think l will air brush the track first, but l have to work right up to next tuesday so l will do it then ?

Have you had anymore thoughts about going back to OO ?

George

Hi George

I was going to have a shared 00 Gauge layout with my Son (and keep my 0 Gauge), but not happening at the moment - Will be sticking with my 0 Gauge, can't get away from it, Can we :no: - A few new Diesels/stock on the horizon, looking forward to that.

Cheers, Bob.

Archived