'Ashcombe'

georgeT

Hello Jock,  With the boards l had made a 5' and a 4' one, and joined them together with clamps and screws when Bodgit came up, then glued the cork sheet down and then laid the track down to Bodgit plan, then went ahead a ballasted the whole lot, when l decided to split them l used my dremel with a large 3" disc to cut through the lot, l had in my mind an idea to lift the whole lot up and start again if it failed, but it was a complete success to my amazement...

George

Thanks George, I've been wondering about a 'Dremel' kit - always used a home made block and saw to cut track but it does look useful for all manner of applications.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS posted this before those beautiful images came up - it really is beginning to look very realistic! Well done and I'm sure the point rodding will soon be back in shape! J.

• RMweb Gold

Seriously thinking of changing the power supply at 'Ashcombe' from DCC back to DC as l find the running at slow speeds the locos seem to judder along not very smooth at all, where with DC they seem to run lovely, maybe its the chips ?   l have now separated the boards, 

I would regard this as a pity as you've already paid for DCC. See if you can find a DCC-guru near you to have a shufty at the locos. Probable causes are capacitors installed at manufacture which argue with the electronics in the decoder, and which can safely be snipped out, or simply the need for some adjustment to CVs - an activity that many DCC-users don't seem to bother with at all, and which I believe some low-end DCC systems really don't facilitate easily.

I have never really understood the use of DCC on a BLT. You are unlikely to have two locos working at once. If you do DC cab is more than good enough. With a big roundy roundy I can see the benifits of DCC.

Anyway George the layout is looking good. It is a shame you did not have the space for O, and those lovely locos you have built. Any progress on the West Country?

Hoping mine will progress as well. I am looking at getting some boards made around Christmas time. I will be in UK at that time so I can get some track building material. Still doing designs, I need to be able to fit the sector plate to any of the boards, so I can play at any stage of set up.

Seriously thinking of changing the power supply at 'Ashcombe' from DCC back to DC as l find the running at slow speeds the locos seem to judder along not very smooth at all, where with DC they seem to run lovely, maybe its the chips ?   l have now separated the boards,

Hi George, I'm with Ian on this one, seems a pity to switch back to DC. I've never had a Loco that performs worse on DCC as it did on DC. Like Ian says, a snip of capacitor or a CV adjustment should sort it out. What Loco/decoder combinations are you having problems with?

I have never really understood the use of DCC on a BLT. You are unlikely to have two locos working at once. If you do DC cab is more than good enough. With a big roundy roundy I can see the benifits of DCC.

But you will have more than one loco on the layout at a time and each one will need an isolated section and associated switch. Drives me round the bend flicking all the switches when operating my friends DC BLT layout.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway George the layout is looking good. It is a shame you did not have the space for O, and those lovely locos you have built. Any progress on the West Country?

Hoping mine will progress as well. I am looking at getting some boards made around Christmas time. I will be in UK at that time so I can get some track building material. Still doing designs, I need to be able to fit the sector plate to any of the boards, so I can play at any stage of set up.

You miss one of the good points about DCC. with DC you need to ensure the first loco is isolated before you bring on a second. It can be quite easy to isolate a loco by throwing a turnout then later forgetting  that you have do so restore the turnout and be surprised the loco is mvoving. With DCC if you stop a loco it is stopped unless you re-select it and move it. You no longer need to think about throwing section switches. Unless you are working a terminus one engine in steam DCC has advantages.

That being said I suspect George is quite used to a DC layout with section switches etc. so If that is his choice it will probably suit.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Unless you are working a terminus one engine in steam DCC has advantages.

That being said I suspect George is quite used to a DC layout with section switches etc. so If that is his choice it will probably suit.

Indeed, Don - not everyone was born to enjoy the perceived complexity of DCC, in the same way we don't all aspire to handbuild track or master soldering brass kits. DC served us well for decades - it hasn't stopped working just as well as ever it did. But George has already splashed his cash, and deserves to have his pound of flesh. I hope he can find a way to get the locos to behave properly.

George, I cant read all the comments but what Iseen is that your DCC just needs fine tuning which is sinple just be paitent and wait till I'm better and I will have a look at the CV's.

Loco SHOULD always run better on DCC when set up right.

• RMweb Premium

Stick with the DCC, George. I've certainly found the slow-running of ALL my locos - even short wheelbase shunters - to be significantly better with DCC than DC.

It's an old argument, but I agree with Ian, Don and Andy. If you've already splashed the cash stick with it. A little fine tuning should make things run smoothly.

Jeff

Hi Jock / lan / Peter / Ray / Don / Andy / Jeff / Al,  Just got in from work to find all your helpful and very welcomed comments, thank you all very much lads (The Gang) all points taken on board and will stay with DCC, its all alien to me, (god l struggle with the TV remote), l find DCC a minefield at the moment, guess l will have to learn to change the CVs, hurry up and get well Bodgit l need your HELP hahaha.

Boggled George

The eyes must be getting better mate, I've just seen the new Avatar and I remember that pic.

I will be on the mend soon and once you have done all the scenics we can sort out the running issues in no time at all.

Just stick with it, all the best mate.

Morning Bodgit,  Yes after all the advice l have been given by the gang, l will stick with DCC, l had big problems with DCC the last time l had it (about five years ago) so l thought it would have got easier to understand (wrong) anyway you get yourself better, and keep an eye on the RMweb....

George

Morning Lads,  Had a re-think on the layout, it just didn't look right with the track running almost to the end of the board with no room for scenery ? so l have made the tracks shorter thus giving me some room for the road at the end of the station also made the coal / brewery siding shorter too.

PS. Spoke to 'Bodgit'  today, and he is still very tired but his sight seems to be improving by the day, great news...

George

post-7716-0-50173300-1403085332_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-52602200-1403085336_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-91261800-1403085340_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-80834600-1403085344_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-41734500-1403085348_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-33884000-1403085353_thumb.jpg

Morning Al,  Yes Bodgit seemed brighter today which is good news,  yes you can get carried away with track and forget all about the scenery, it has made the tracks shorter but the biggest loco on the run-round will be the 2-6-0 N class, and the road for the brewery will only need room for 3 - 4 wagons at most so should be OK,

BTW   love the tunnel etc you are putting on Bakewell great stuff.

George

Great idea George, look forward to the outcome of your changes but it should certainly create another point of interest!

Like Al, I'm really pleased to hear an update on the Bodgit's medical condition. Thank you for that. good to hear that there is an improvement and we can look forward to the irrepressible humour in all these pages again!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Evening Lads,  Bodgit wont be down for long l hope,  anyway have made a wall to run along the end of the station and a bit of a street so l can have a double decker at a bus stop with the crew having a break..

George

Hi George, I like the street idea although I would have made it a Level Crossing for the next extension when I get up next, hahahha.

The street will be good and give room for more scenics etc.

I need pics as I cant read the text very well still.

All the best mate.

Morning Baron,  NO NO NO please l don't want to extend anymore so don't you give me any ideas, hahaha in fact l am thinking of keeping the two remaining O gauge locomotives l have left (Fowler 4f and the Southern K class 2-6-0) and stripping them down to brass and re-model them to a higher standard as another string to my bow and a break from the OO.

George

Morning Jock,  Spoke to 'Baron Bodgit'  this morning and he is feeling and sounding much better, and is trying to get me to add more boards to 'Ashcombe' ? l don't think so hahaha

George

Archived