The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New mobile phone........

BlackRat

My wife and daughter both love their I phone, I have a Samsung which I think is every bit as good. As you seem to keep yours for a long time go for the best you can afford. Or play the contract game and either change more often or as my son in law does, go for the shortest (1 year) contract then go for a sim card deal after

• RMweb Gold

I'm a geek and like gadgety things so I have an iPhone although I could have had others. Occasionally I might make a phone call.

Mrs BoD phones a lot and so bought a cheap phone that ... er .... lets her make phone calls.

What do you want your phone to do would be a good starting point.

iPhone5 here but it suffers from the same old Apple mentality - nothing other than Apple approved apps will work on it - and those that do fall apart at the slightest whisper of an upgrade. the operating software seems to forever be upgrading allegedly with new features but as usual they are features that Apple want you to have and not ones that have any practical use.

Having said that would I swap for an android - no.

The recent upgrade to ios7 (effectively compulsory) also effectively broke just about everything and they are still mending it. All the basic apps (phone, contacts, messaging) changed significantly for the worse and some of their useful features still do not work.

One of the other annoying things is that items available in appstore in the US are not available in the UK. So just because you know there is an app out there doesn't mean that Apple will approve it and even if they do they may no allow you to use it.

I would suggest that you keep to an ordinary mobile phone as from what I can see from friends the costs just runaway from people.

I have a Nokia basic phone and its nearly ten years and still going strong, and I have been able to keep the art of conversation. :nono:

I would suggest that you keep to an ordinary mobile phone as from what I can see from friends the costs just runaway from people.

I have a Nokia basic phone and its nearly ten years and still going strong, and I have been able to keep the art of conversation. :nono:

I have a minimum price contract, never exceeded either my minuets,texts or internet allowances. using your own wifi to connect to the internet when at home saves your allowances. I use the internet a lot !!

I have had my old Nokia 6303 Classic for about 4 or 5 years now and have found it completely "Brian proof". I store my "naked" phone in the chest pocket of my shirt so several times, when I have leaned forward, the Nokia has dropped out of my pocket onto hard concrete or tiled floors, sometimes falling to pieces and at least twice into the toilet, on which occasions a quick dismantle and blast with my wife's hairdryer has sorted things out. It can connect to the internet but is far less sophisticated than an IPhone so I just use it for calls and texts and leave internet stuff to the lap top. My wife has just bought a Samsung Galaxy which looks a nice phone but you are probably best to talk to Car Phone Warehouse, Phones4U or whoever to get the best advice but I can obviously vouch for Nokia robustness.

Regards,

Edit: Whatever phone you buy, make sure it has a good camera. My old Nokia came with a 3Mp camera and takes half way decent pictures which was a requirement when I bought it.

I have just got a Motorola Moto G as it was recommended by a friend, I was still using an old Sony Ericsson.

I have recently changed my network to Ovivo. Cost me £15 for the sim which comes with £15 credit and I get 200 minutes, 300 texts and 500mb data reset every month with nothing more to pay. If I use my free allowance it then charges my credit 8p per minute but I have never got that far in the 3 months I have been on it.

Consider the new kid on the block? Windows Phone 8, a massive step forward from WP7.

I've had a Nokia Lumia 820 since May, I absolutely love it. The usual high quality Nokia hardware with a reliable and easy to use operating system that doesn't try to do an update every day that has a 'y' in it.

Ok, so the OS is definitely in third place in terms of availability of apps, but then it's only been around for a year. Remember the fruit and robot based phone operating systems have been around for considerably longer and Microsoft is committed to delivering the big apps to its users. Additionally I love the fact that you don't need ITunes to transfer data and the need to convert music formats etc. The computer just picks it up as a device with data storage.

The predictive text system is the first one that hasn't driven me to turn it off, or at least attempt to. It will learn as you use the phone and doesn't make daft substitutions, it offers you suggestions to select instead

For example, I type 'Hell...' it then suggests common words I have used that begin with those letters, in this case as a test I want 'hello', so touch it and it inserts it. After a couple of weeks common texts can typed by only entering the first letter of the first word, with the correct word to follow suggested automatically each time, making it very quick and easy to text.

post-6899-0-74947900-1387052424.jpg

Then a selection of words that may follow. To begin with, the words will be generated by the phone's dictionary, for example it's the phone knowing to link hello and kitty, I've never typed that in. Honest :-D

post-6899-0-82088600-1387052425.jpg

Pros:

Cracking camera on all models

Removable case, battery and memory card on some models

Simple to use

Tiles on screen can be sized and positioned to what suits you, you can have these however you want, depending what you use a lot and how you hold the phone. From experience this layout works for me, you can put what you want, where you want and whatever size (full, half or quarter width) you want.

post-6899-0-44407100-1387052423.jpg

Bright, clear and large screen

Nokia build quality

Standard Micro USB and wireless Qi charging support. None of this bespoke connector faffing.

Office as standard, with Word and Excel

Intelligent predictive text selections

Cons:

Some apps are expensive compared to other platforms

Smaller range of apps, but growing as I've mentioned

Heavy and a bit on the chunky side, but I guess that comes with having such a big screen

It does takes a while to get used to, but I think that's the same of any completely new OS

Nokia's phone division has been bought by Microsoft, so future hardware quality isn't guaranteed to match the Nokia we know and love, but hopefully it will

jo

.....The recent upgrade to ios7 (effectively compulsory) also effectively broke just about everything and they are still mending it. All the basic apps (phone, contacts, messaging) changed significantly for the worse and some of their useful features still do not work....

• RMweb Gold

Yep, the upgrade to ios 7 has wrecked my phone, can very rarely get 3G in places i used to, keyboard is crap, everything is long winded now, regreted updating it the moment i did

Ive not updated my wifes iphone 4, she is still on ios 6 which works lovely

I've resisted being drawn into the Apple world for years but eventually upgraded my ancient Nokia to an iPhone a few months ago and it all worked straight out of the box.

I chose the iPhone over the Android mainly because a particular GPS App I wanted for flying is not yet available on other OS's but overall I'm glad I went down that road. I use it mostly as a phone, as a personal organiser, to check emails, for web browsing, as a camera and particularly as a SatNav- that side of it is far better than I'd expected.

I don't yet use it for entertainment and don't want to to have to route everything through iTunes but there is software that'll handle that.

I too hate Apple's recent upgrade to iOS7. Everything works but it's all a lot less elegant and some operations are decidedly clunky. Like most personal computers (which is what it is) it tries too hard to be helpful and usually fails but overall I wouldn't be without it.

Archived