Hornby announce DCC sound at ?25 a pop.

pauliebanger

Thanks model-trains, will ask get the my local model shop to ask the rep when he is next in. Hopefully he will know. :scratchhead:

Hopefully but also doubtfully unless information available nearer the time. Even the best of reps don't know if the supplier hasn't released the information.

Good luck

PJ

Thanks model-trains, will ask get the my local model shop to ask the rep when he is next in. Hopefully he will know. :scratchhead:

I forgot to add, TTS sound in locos from Hornby is now suggested as September at the earliest.

I forgot to add, TTS sound in locos from Hornby is now suggested as September at the earliest.

While I believe there is room in the market place for a budget sound chip, I do feel that people need to be aware of the growing list of limitations that are coming to light (vs conventional Loksound / Zimo chips) that may influence the decision to buy. From what I've read so far we have;

1. They are not programmable, so if you don't like some aspect of the sound or 'driving experience' you are stuck with it

2. The sound doesn't work on DC / analogue

3. Their output is only two-channel so you cannot (for example) sound the horn whilst going round curves with the flanges squealing (which would require three channels, the third being the engine of course).

Bif

• 3 weeks later...

Just had confirmation about TTS on DC, Sadly the basic function will not work. The loco with just act like a normal non sound loco. :umbrage:  Shame, think basic DC sound would make a good future product maybe for the Railroad maybe? :scratchhead:

No one knows when TTS sound (in locos) will be available, Hornby are not saying.

We do know it will only be in selected trains first, not available on its own, not possible to re-blow it, and it only works on DCC.

The rest I am afraid we just have to wait and see.

No one knows when TTS sound (in locos) will be available, Hornby are not saying.

<snip>

wrong, first few models is 5th September, second set of models is 7th November. I've seen these dates on various sellers for a few months now.

If you disagree with the comments please confirm

- We do not know when TTS Sound will be made available Hornby have not disclosed this information yet

- Hornby will not initially sell TTS Sound chips on their own

- The TTS sound chip will not be re-blowable as far as we know

- TTS Sound chips in locos will only work in DCC

Which item do you disagree with and why?

Thank you

wrong, first few models is 5th September, second set of models is 7th November. I've seen these dates on various sellers for a few months now.

Thanks for confirming the dates 'suppliers' are hoping to receive the models delivered. These are not definite dates confirmed by Hornby to my knowledge, but are expected dates suppliers have quoted.

As you say... I've seen these dates on various sellers for a few months now. They are retailers dates.

Thanks for confirming the dates 'suppliers' are hoping to receive the models delivered. These are not definite dates confirmed by Hornby to my knowledge, but are expected dates suppliers have quoted.

As you say... I've seen these dates on various sellers for a few months now. They are retailers dates.

Well I doubt they guessed the dates especially as there are different dates for several models. Someone somewhere told them. As far as I can see Hornby often don't publish any dates, their website just has a very useless out of stock for pre orders and genuinely out of stock products alike, sellers like Hattons obviously need to know when to expect stock and you normally find a date which again must be based on some information coming from the manufacturer.

As to how likely that date will be hit on time, that's another question entirely. No doubt someone can go over all previous releases, expected dates and actual dates and come out with some average 'lateness' time for that manufacturer.

• 2 months later...

I have to say the fact these new budget sound fitted loco's exist at all is a positive step forward...

Even if they aren't up to the standards or have the capabilities of more expensive after market chips. The fact that they might make other companies lower their prices in a bid to compete can't be a bad thing.

However what's got me wondering is the name Twin Track Sound... Not DCC Sound a label they seem to be keeping seperate (although that could simpy be down to branding and nothing more).

But does Twin Track Sound mean it's not DCC sound as we know it? Compatible with DCC and built on similar ideas but not up to NRMA standards?

I can't help but wonder that these chips may only work with Hornby's controllers...?

BTW this is mere speculation and nothing more...

I think new dcc sound fitted models will decline as prices continue to increase on the base models.

I dont think factory sound technology has radically improved since the early days. The expected decrease in aftermarket sound prices never came and so i think we will see fewer sales of both new factory fitted and aftermarket options.......

My guess would be that Twin Track means only 2 independent sound channels which would make them cheaper to produce (the bulk of DSP chips sold are designed to only handle stereo.)

This would mean for a diesel you'd get engine noise and either; turbo whine, whistle, compressor, brake or flange squeal. But not more than one at the same time unlike a Zimo (6ch) or ESU (8ch).

Just a guess, mind :)

My guess would be that Twin Track means only 2 independent sound channels which would make them cheaper to produce (the bulk of DSP chips sold are designed to only handle stereo.)

This would mean for a diesel you'd get engine noise and either; turbo whine, whistle, compressor, brake or flange squeal. But not more than one at the same time unlike a Zimo (6ch) or ESU (8ch).

Just a guess, mind :)

Good point I suspect this is more likely, only having two channels would surely reduce the costs!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Have any TTS loco's been released yet? I have the network rail class 97 on order from Hattons - the released date they are quoting is 5 September however Modefair & Model Railways Direct are now saying December 2014. I suspect the latter is more likely to correct! At least this gives me a few more months to build a couple of RHTT wagons to go behind it....

Cheers

Hi Sam

I've also heard that the TTS locos have been delayed and hence none have been released to date.  Model Railways Direct is literally a 2 minute walk from where I live (very handy believe me!), and I've not known them to get it wrong with their release dates and they are very quick to update them when advised by their suppliers so I can vouch for them.  Hopefully you will get it in time for Christmas.  Would this be your first ever sound loco?

Regards

Steve

Hi Sam

I've also heard that the TTS locos have been delayed and hence none have been released to date.  Model Railways Direct is literally a 2 minute walk from where I live (very handy believe me!), and I've not known them to get it wrong with their release dates and they are very quick to update them when advised by their suppliers so I can vouch for them.  Hopefully you will get it in time for Christmas.  Would this be your first ever sound loco?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it will be my first delve into the world of sound. Too be honest I originally ordered the loco due to the livery but i'm now quite looking forward to hearing the sound. Just need to crack on with my layout first....

Cheers

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it will be my first delve into the world of sound. Too be honest I originally ordered the loco due to the livery but i'm now quite looking forward to hearing the sound. Just need to crack on with my layout first....

Cheers

Hi Sam

If you can't wait for a TTS loco, you could sound chip one of your own locos or buy a mint sound loco on eBay or even on here. Most of mine have the ESU loksound v3.5 sound chip and they are very good.

Good luck with your layout. It does take a lot of time to do one but its definately worth it.

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like some good news for all those attending the "RMweb LIVE" event.... Simon Kohler has stated in his recent "Simon Says" blog that he will be preset there to demonstrate all the TTS Sound fitted locos one at a time.....

"Actually all this does bring me quite neatly to RMWeb Live which is being held at the Ricoh Centre, Coventry over the weekend of the 13th & 14th
 September and promises to be an exhibition with a difference.  I shall be there with some of the latest Hornby engineering samples of the D16/3, the Drummond 700 and several other new items promised for 2014.  I will also be showing amongst other things locomotives fitted with the new TTS sound decoder but I will only demonstrate them one at a time and be sure to show any interested party where the volume controls are!!"

All those who wish to can go have a peek at hopefully get a few videos too....

Cheers!

WHAT  .......................  ??

Who has done the sound projects for them, anyone know????

.................    You mean to say   :O     .................................................................................................       they didn't ask you   .......     :jester:  :jester:

Ok - hat, coat  ..   I'm gone  .....   

Archived