Hornby announce DCC sound at ?25 a pop.

pauliebanger

I also tried to order the 37 from Kernow today based on the website saying in stock to be told they will be in next month. Also had 2 preorders from Hattons missed a call from them checking that I had not a duplicate order as they were processing the order and by the time I got back to them they said there were none left...

So rubbish day today and no impressed with both maybe pre-ordering direct is the future, perhaps some may say sending limited stocks to the shops was a strategy...

hopefully my orders will be sent soon.

Steve

OK so my day turned out great in the end as Mike from C&M Models got in touch last night to say he had 2 in stock and did I want them reserving... so suitably reserved and purchased this morning with 2 from H*tt*ns cancelled, lesson of the day stick with your local supplier....  :punish:

So heres some pics of what you get. I replacing the Network Rail Body with my Lima bodies..

post-12740-0-41098800-1421501985_thumb.jpg

OK The box is bright the TTS locos coming under the Railroad banner.

post-12740-0-63932300-1421502008_thumb.jpg

Out of the box, first impressions were the finish was very good, its bright and if I were keeping it as the Network rail version I would certainly weather the roof to tone it down.

The number is however incorrect as 97301 was the flush front split box version the center headcode so would be better renumbered to one of the others with center headcode.

There are no lights fitted with it been in the railroad range.

post-12740-0-32349600-1421501997_thumb.jpg

The roof in all its greyness. The horns are modelled so is probably from the later Lima tooling as the early lima center headcode models didn't have the roof mounted horns.

post-12740-0-84416200-1421502050_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-87478000-1421502025_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-05202200-1421502037_thumb.jpg

3 views of the loco from the side showing the crisp print of the numbers / logos. 

of note there is no cab area either but there wasn't in the Lima version.

post-12740-0-40993000-1421502065_thumb.jpg

This is a list of the Sound commands my Dynamis only allows me to use the first 20 so didn't hear the last 4 but I liked what I heard. 

F8 Thrash  :locomotive:

post-12740-0-88768700-1421502077_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-22635400-1421502113_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-60561900-1421502090_thumb.jpg

So unclipping the body is nice and easy no hidden screws just unclip like the Lima versions..

This is what's inside, there isn't much weight in the loco as the area where the old Lima weight was is now taken up with the Chip and speaker. As I'm just trundling back and forwards on my module its no issue to me perhaps at a Modular meet we could get to test its pulling power.

post-12740-0-69937400-1421502102_thumb.jpg

The motor end its a bit like the Lima model where only 1 bogie is powered.

post-12740-0-33487400-1421502125_thumb.jpg

Under the power bogie showing the traction tyres....

post-12740-0-75283100-1421502136_thumb.jpg

As I say I'm just swapping bodies off my old Lima models which was easy as it was just a straight swap I had fitted "laser glass" to the engine windows so not sure if you would have to make any modifications to a virgin Lima body??

You can see where the body clips in as the Yellow will need repainting.

post-12740-0-46181600-1421502150_thumb.jpg

The Hornby left with the Lima right the Lima has had the window modification done and some detail to the front end and you can see the difference around the windows although on 1st opening this wasn't as noticeable as some of the old Lima models so perhaps they have either adjusted the glazing or the frames slightly.

Summary.

I liked it very much it responds to speed and especially like the F8 button.... Ok it may not be up to the sounds of x, y or z's sounds but as an entry level for the price I think its great and look forward to the Class 47.

Special thanks to Mike at C&M for keeping them by for me.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Steve

I was lucky enough to get the A4 TTS for chrimbo and was I not already fortunate enough to own a Bachmann 37 dcc sound then the TTS version from Hornby would now be on my list.

I think they sound great for what they cost - but what I would really love to see is the TTS sound chip used in heavy freight wagons or coaches to give us that part of the experience - wouldn't it be great to have a goods train actually rumble past rather than quietly follow the loco ???? or the sound of workers discharging a wagon at a freight terminal ?????  Potentially you could mix it in with a rake of similar rolling stock. Lots of possibilities and potentially at an affordable price.

Regards

Chris

Hi Steve

It sounds reasonable but, hearing in the flesh is different than a recording and playback, so it is good to listen to, but wrong to judge I think. (not referring to your recording just systems record and playback differences)

I think it is very probably good value for money

Do you have a list of sounds available in the train?

Do you think any of the sounds are to long or to short?

Many thanks

PJ

Hi Steve

It sounds reasonable but, hearing in the flesh is different than a recording and playback, so it is good to listen to, but wrong to judge I think. (not referring to your recording just systems record and playback differences)

I think it is very probably good value for money

Do you have a list of sounds available in the train?

Do you think any of the sounds are to long or to short?

Many thanks

PJ

Hi the functions are
post-12740-0-40993000-1421502065_thumb.jpg

The functions I don't like are 

The door slam is a bit loud although I only played it on its own it maybe better once the loco is started.

The wheel screech is like woaaahh what the H*ll 

Other than those I think its spot on for the price and  overall, "it sounds like a 37, it looks like a 37 so it must be...." but then thats just my point of view.

Steve

At about +/- 5-1/2 minutes it sounds like the brakes failing to come off cleanly before moving off as happens when boosting the throttle.

I'm presuming one of the starts was a cold start (with F9) and the other a warm start (without F9).

Thanks for the review Steve-e. I've needed a nudge to get into DCC sound, and as a first step, this will be it, especially at the price. Nice to know I can fit a Lima body straight to the chassis.

Regardless of what noises we get/don't get with TTS, I like the whole 'driver disconnected from the wheels' method of driving a diesel, a bit like those old cars with free-wheel (Rover and Saab) where you knew you were in charge of the beast but never awfully sure of by how much.

I think Hornby have got the throttle notch transition windows just about right, where typically from a standstill, you goose the throttle a bit to move off and it releases the brakes, guns the diesel to N1 then back to Idle as it moves off. Give it a bit more throttle and it will go to and sustain N1 revs. Thereafter small throttle application will nudge it up a notch then back to the previous revs (N1 to N2 then back to N1, ditto N2 to N3), or generous throttle will move to and sustain the next notch setting (N1 to N2, N2 to N3).

Use of F5 or F6 to manually notch up and down is handy (it also allows you to simulate using the loco as train heating or stationary generator).

F8 will allow you to Thrash the diesel (up to 2 notches if available) or F7 will pull the motor back to Idle until you throttle up again when it will search for and maintain a rev range applicable to the speed achieved.

If you think you need to fine tune these transitions then the applicable CVs are listed in the 'manual' with their allowable +/- range.

Great fun to drive. 

Regardless of what noises we get/don't get with TTS, I like the whole 'driver disconnected from the wheels' method of driving a diesel,

I think Hornby have got the throttle notch transition windows just about right, where typically from a standstill, you goose the throttle a bit to move off and it releases the brakes, guns the diesel to N1 then back to Idle as it moves off. Give it a bit more throttle and it will go to and sustain N1 revs. Thereafter small throttle application will nudge it up a notch then back to the previous revs (N1 to N2 then back to N1, ditto N2 to N3), or generous throttle will move to and sustain the next notch setting (N1 to N2, N2 to N3).

Use of F5 or F6 to manually notch up and down is handy (it also allows you to simulate using the loco as train heating or stationary generator).

F8 will allow you to Thrash the diesel (up to 2 notches if available) or F7 will pull the motor back to Idle until you throttle up again when it will search for and maintain a rev range applicable to the speed achieved.

Sounds like hard work to me.  Just to carry this further - maybe TTS sounds for steam engines should give us "one chuff" so we can  make sure there are four chuffs per revolution of the wheels....  or three depending on the number of cylinders.  - I am just kidding, but trying to drive the engine by pushing so many F keys is a bit frenetic. However, if the controller could be programmed separately for each loco, then the sequences could be remembered and "driving" would not be necessary....

It's possible to adjust the overall sound volume on Network Rail 97 301 as well as the individual sounds, each having it's own CV with a range of 0-8     0 = silence - 8 = loudest.

The overall volume is set via CV182  as supplied (default) setting is 4  with 8 being the loudest possible.

POM has to be used to change the setting - as there is NO read back option.

HTH

No sure what you mean about no read back option so POM has to be used...

You can and should use POM to alter TTS sound volumes and thus immediately see (i.e. hear) those change(s).

To properly read back on the main you need a decoder that has RailCom enabled, which TTS is likely to have, (at the price and the shape and size) have been based upon Hornby's R8249 basic decoder rather than the more capable (and RailCom supporting) Sapphire 21/8 pin decoder.

I presume they have used the basic decoder and piggy-backed a sound module onto it, thus forfeiting one of the functions (e.g. TTS has no purple wire).

Edit:

Re all the faff about using F-x,y,x to manually enhance driving. No need really as the TTS auto-sound response to normal driving throttle up or down is IMHO quite brilliant. I love the 'loose' connection between the driver asking for movement, then the noise of the loco achieving this and the sound of stuff happening in the background apparently has nothing to do with it at all.

Maybe I should blow some of the kids inheritance on a diesel driving course and find out for real.

You can and should use POM to alter TTS sound volumes and thus immediately see (i.e. hear) those change(s).

To properly read back on the main you need a decoder that has RailCom enabled, which TTS is likely to have, (at the price and the shape and size) have been based upon Hornby's R8249 basic decoder rather than the more capable (and RailCom supporting) Sapphire 21/8 pin decoder.

I presume they have used the basic decoder and piggy-backed a sound module onto it, thus forfeiting one of the functions (e.g. TTS has no purple wire).

Edit:

Re all the faff about using F-x,y,x to manually enhance driving. No need really as the TTS auto-sound response to normal driving throttle up or down is IMHO quite brilliant. I love the 'loose' connection between the driver asking for movement, then the noise of the loco achieving this and the sound of stuff happening in the background apparently has nothing to do with it at all.

Maybe I should blow some of the kids inheritance on a diesel driving course and find out for real.

CV182 (the overall volume) is not readable -  but using POM the setting can be changed, but not on a programming track, unlike the majority of the other CV's.

I'd suggest having a listen to the latest Digidrive Zimo 37 and Biff''s WH 37's to see what your missing both sound and drive ability wise - night and day comes to mind. !

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for

I've got a couple of these TTS locos 37 + 40 OMWB at present, to fit lights etc for someone. 

First thing that struck me on removing the bodyshells, was that on both models, the speaker fitting was very poor, the front of the speaker not being properly sealed from the rear.  Good as the sound is for the price, getting the speaker sealed properly should make an improvement.  The speaker wires foul the metal enclosure stopping the speaker fitting in it's recess properly.  After dismantling, the problem being the speaker is slightly too big in diameter to fit the recess in the metal block !  However a Loksound 28mm speaker fits perfectly.

Also found that the 40 runs a lot sweeter at slow speed than the 37, the 37 is jerky and the drive bogie/motor chatters a bit. Another issue with the 37 after it's been running for a while, on setting off instead of moving it will just sit and blow the brakes off repeatedly, with no movement, until finally it decides it wants to move - very strange !

When tested on DC - although they can be used with the sound decoder left connected, the slow speed running is a bit erratic,  they run much better with the the 8pin plug removed and a blanking plate fitted.

I've got a couple of these TTS locos 37 + 40 OMWB at present, to fit lights etc for someone. 

First thing that struck me on removing the bodyshells, was that on both models, the speaker fitting was very poor, the front of the speaker not being properly sealed from the rear.  Good as the sound is for the price, getting the speaker sealed properly should make an improvement.  The speaker wires foul the metal enclosure stopping the speaker fitting in it's recess properly.

Also found that the 40 runs a lot sweeter at slow speed than the 37, the 37 is jerky and the drive bogie/motor chatters a bit. Another issue with the 37 after it's been running for a while, on setting off instead of moving it will just sit and blow the brakes off repeatedly, with no movement, until finally it decides it wants to move - very strange !

When tested on DC - although they can be used with the sound decoder left connected, the slow speed running is a bit erratic,  they run much better with the the 8pin plug removed and a blanking plate fitted.

Hi Ken.

Are you using the existing decoder to control the lights you're adding? The instructions mention the decoder can control directional lights ("if fitted"). If so, how do you physically wire up the lights? I'm thinking of adding lights to my TTS 37.

Many thanks

Hi Ken.

Are you using the existing decoder to control the lights you're adding? The instructions mention the decoder can control directional lights ("if fitted"). If so, how do you physically wire up the lights? I'm thinking of adding lights to my TTS 37.

Many thanks

Hi Sam

Not had the chance yet to study the operating instructions to find out what's possible and what's not.  The fitted sound decoder has 3 function outputs, controlled via F0 and F25 which are suitable for lighting etc.  Basically you use the white/yellow/green and blue wires to wire in LED's with resistors etc

Are you planning making up your own lighting kit, or ?

HTH

Ken

Hi Sam

Not had the chance yet to study the operating instructions to find out what's possible and what's not.  The fitted sound decoder has 3 function outputs, controlled via F0 and F25 which are suitable for lighting etc.  Basically you use the white/yellow/green and blue wires to wire in LED's with resistors etc

Are you planning making up your own lighting kit, or ?

HTH

Ken

I was going to have a crack at making my own light set up. I have a few bi coloured red/white smd led's and 2mm tower/lighthouse white and red led's.

I need to do a bit more research into light combinations. I was going to re-number it to one of the other 97's as, unlike the Hornby model, 97301 is the only one with a flush nose.

If you get round to adding lights before me let me know how you get on.

Cheers

I was going to have a crack at making my own light set up. I have a few bi coloured red/white smd led's and 2mm tower/lighthouse white and red led's.

I need to do a bit more research into light combinations. I was going to re-number it to one of the other 97's as, unlike the Hornby model, 97301 is the only one with a flush nose.

If you get round to adding lights before me let me know how you get on.

Cheers

I've got other lighting projects on the go at the moment, so the TTS locos won't be started for a couple of weeks

I don't understand why Hornby did not use the ex Lima 37/5 flush nose body for 97301 ? - instead of a refurbished centre box version ? Who did the "poor" research on that choice of bodyshell / number ?

Either lighthouse leds or smd's could be used. 2mm lighthouse led's are too big for the tail lights.  Bi colour led's ? not for a 37 -  but depending on size - ideally suited to a Class 03/08 etc

If you get stuck let me know

Regards

Ken

I here add my YouTube URL of another clip of a Hornby TTS sound locomotive: 71000 Duke of Gloucester TTS sound version: R3244TTS

As before, I present this to illustrate the lack of synchronization of the sound with the rotation of the wheels of a steam locomotive.  This may be less of a problem with locomotives other than steam.  Remember that 71000 prototype is a three cylinder locomotive, while Hornby has fitted the model with sound from a generic 4-cylinder locomotive, as it says on the box.  A three cylinder locomotive should have six chuffs per wheel revolution, which should be clear at low speeds.  Note that at the slowest speed possible with my Bachmann Dynamis controller, there is six chuffs per wheel revolution, but at the very next step of increased speed the synchronization falls apart.

My other clips are in a prior message in this thread.

As before, I present this to illustrate the lack of synchronization of the sound with the rotation of the wheels of a steam locomotive.  This may be less of a problem with locomotives other than steam.  Remember that 71000 prototype is a three cylinder locomotive, while Hornby has fitted the model with sound from a generic 4-cylinder locomotive, as it says on the box.  A three cylinder locomotive should have six chuffs per wheel revolution, which should be clear at low speeds.  Note that at the slowest speed possible with my Bachmann Dynamis controller, there is six chuffs per wheel revolution, but at the very next step of increased speed the synchronization falls apart.

My other clips are in a prior message in this thread.

You are not telling us anything that we do not already know. The chuffs don't sync and the number of cylinders printed on the box is wrong. Its also wrong on the P2 and Tornado boxes.

The solutions to your problem are simple.

1. Recognise that there is no attempt to synchronise, Hornby have said as much. Live with it.

2. Turn off the sound.

3. Pull the TTS decoder and fit something which does synchronise, e.g. http://youtu.be/SXXj4W1I7CQ

If you do replace the decoder, for the small extra you have paid for the TTS version over the standard model you will still have:

a fitted speaker and enclosure

all the necessary wiring to and from the loco and tender to ensure a simple plug-in solution,

additional tender wheel pick-ups which are not fitted to the non-TTS models

I have converted many models to sound-fitted, so I would say with some confidence that all those extras which help with smooth running or will help you to easilly fit a replacement decoder more than outweigh the extra cost even without the TTS decoder. You can recoup some more money by selling the TTS decoder on eBay.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived