Hornby announce DCC sound at ?25 a pop.

pauliebanger

• RMweb Gold

Why would you want a scene setting station ambience (which is stationary) on a locomotive decoder (which is mobile). If you want that ambience why not put a loudspeaker under the station and connect it to a tape recorder playing a tape of that ambience (or a modern-day equivalent thereof).

Why would you want a scene setting station ambience (which is stationary) on a locomotive decoder (which is mobile). If you want that ambience why not put a loudspeaker under the station and connect it to a tape recorder playing a tape of that ambience (or a modern-day equivalent thereof).

maybe because.... a station announcement about a departure is linked to that train and no other, so if you already have the decoder and it is in the location you want the announcement to go from, why go to all the trouble of adding a tape recorder. 

That, like the SoundPro suggestion, is OK for a given layout. Having such sounds 'on board' means they can be played whichever layout the loco appears on. It's slightly more self-contained, only needing the loco, some track and a controller, all of which would be necesary for non-sound running.

Every added bit of kit compromises the 'cheaper' part of this thread's title.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

maybe because.... a station announcement about a departure is linked to that train and no other, so if you already have the decoder and it is in the location you want the announcement to go from, why go to all the trouble of adding a tape recorder.

Well, I did say "or the modern-day equivalent thereof", which could be a sound file on your computer.

Well, I did say "or the modern-day equivalent thereof", which could be a sound file on your computer.

Ok,..... why go to all the trouble of locating speakers from your computer to the location where you want it to play and then moving the speakers to another location when you want it to play there, or having to take your PC, tape recorder or other modern day equivalent, to your friends club or show.

I'm not a purist, I have several esu fitted steam locos, I find I rarely want to use all the sounds they're equipped with, the Myloco sound chips would do me fine if they weren't so big.

Good for Hornby if they're offering a basic sound equipped loco at a reasonable price, after all most hobbyists are not on the exhibition circuit but guys (and girls) who just want to play with our trains

We have a bit of a wait to find out how good the TTS system will be. Hattons have just added expected delivery dates to their website for the Hornby 2014 range. Most TTS loco's are due 5 Sept but the Class P2 "Cock O' The North" is due 6 June. 

Obviously these dates could move & based on Hornby's recent performance I might have a bit of a wait for my pre-ordered Network Rail class 37........ :D

We have a bit of a wait to find out how good the TTS system will be. Hattons have just added expected delivery dates to their website for the Hornby 2014 range. Most TTS loco's are due 5 Sept but the Class P2 "Cock O' The North" is due 6 June. 

Obviously these dates could move & based on Hornby's recent performance I might have a bit of a wait for my pre-ordered Network Rail class 37........ :D

Can't wait for that! I'm too thinking about the Network Rail 37. Oh, well at least this gives us time to see what livery Bachmann's will chose to put there basic sound 37 in and what it will sound like! :locomotive: 

Lets hope these dates are realistic. Hornby haven't been so fast at giving dates so these given to ehattons should be reasonably reliable.

We know loco detection is submitted for patent (both Hornby systems). I wonder how long we have to wait for this?

Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Have been reading this thread with interest - thanks Paul!

I'm of a similar opinion that the TTS decoders should have a positive effect on the price of the current top-end decoders - but that price decrease will have to come from the likes of ESU and Zimo.

There seems little doubt that Hornby's TTS range will be technically limited in comparison - which is fair enough - it is a 'budget' offering.  Expect average motor control, limited tuning, lower-grade amplifier and channel mixing etc. etc.  Who knows, we could get a great surprise, but the point of a budget sound decoder is to be cheap, and to do that they've got to make compromises.  Perhaps it will be perfect adequate for 'the masses'.

I've only a vague clue of what it physically costs to produce a single sound decoder, but it isn't as simple as the physical components and the machines to do it - there is all the R&D, testing, quality control etc. not to mention the software, firmware and supporting hardware that has to be developed around it.

Zimo are (IMHO) clearly the best of the bunch for the time-being, including a massive array of features across their entire sound decoder range, and I'm sure Hornby's TTS range is not intended to compete directly (at least not technically).  What it might do though, is to change the perception of how much a sound decoder should cost, and therefore force ESU and Zimo to reduce by at least some margin.

In the meantime, the likes of DigiTrains, YouChoos, Coastal etc. etc. will continue to invest time in producing quality projects, because this is the real differentiating factor.

Interesting times... it can only be a good thing for the consumer.

John, YouChoos

Have been reading this thread with interest - thanks Paul!

I'm of a similar opinion that the TTS decoders should have a positive effect on the price of the current top-end decoders - but that price decrease will have to come from the likes of ESU and Zimo.

There seems little doubt that Hornby's TTS range will be technically limited in comparison - which is fair enough - it is a 'budget' offering.  Expect average motor control, limited tuning, lower-grade amplifier and channel mixing etc. etc.  Who knows, we could get a great surprise, but the point of a budget sound decoder is to be cheap, and to do that they've got to make compromises.  Perhaps it will be perfect adequate for 'the masses'.

I've only a vague clue of what it physically costs to produce a single sound decoder, but it isn't as simple as the physical components and the machines to do it - there is all the R&D, testing, quality control etc. not to mention the software, firmware and supporting hardware that has to be developed around it.

Zimo are (IMHO) clearly the best of the bunch for the time-being, including a massive array of features across their entire sound decoder range, and I'm sure Hornby's TTS range is not intended to compete directly (at least not technically).  What it might do though, is to change the perception of how much a sound decoder should cost, and therefore force ESU and Zimo to reduce by at least some margin.

In the meantime, the likes of DigiTrains, YouChoos, Coastal etc. etc. will continue to invest time in producing quality projects, because this is the real differentiating factor.

Interesting times... it can only be a good thing for the consumer.

John, YouChoos

Just got one or the NEW Bachmann American 'DCC Sound Value' Alco S2 Diesel Switchers to listen to!

On hearing it I burst out laughing!!!  Its Crap.  No start up or shut down, acceleration/engine noise out of sink, no brake squeal.  At £85.00 it a rip off.  Total rubbish.

May be the UK sounds will be better!  'MAY BE?'

Charlie

Just got one or the NEW Bachmann American 'DCC Sound Value' Alco S2 Diesel Switchers to listen to!

On hearing it I burst out laughing!!!  Its Crap.  No start up or shut down, acceleration/engine noise out of sink, no brake squeal.  At £85.00 it a rip off.  Total rubbish.

May be the UK sounds will be better!  'MAY BE?'

Charlie

Is this not more or less what was expected ? you get what you pay for...................!

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I see wrong at this time, is that they are putting cheap sound into cheap railroad locos. There is a killing to be made just be selling the chips themselves and likewise putting them in high detail models. I see that some high detail models still carry the high end sound putting them above what I would be prepared to pay for it.

In my case I,m thinking about moving into DCC sound, but railroad models is not where I wish to start out.

The only thing I see wrong at this time, is that they are putting cheap sound into cheap railroad locos. There is a killing to be made just be selling the chips themselves and likewise putting them in high detail models. I see that some high detail models still carry the high end sound putting them above what I would be prepared to pay for it.

In my case I,m thinking about moving into DCC sound, but railroad models is not where I wish to start out.

You can always do what others do. Buy then take the decoder/speaker out and sell the loco on e-bay.

The only thing I see wrong at this time is.... Hornby have made a lot of announcements, including sourcing new manufacturers to build items to the right spec. and right standard. We wait patiently but at present they are just announcements.

The £25 sound chip certainly got us all talking but, they have not said this will be sold on its own, we have to wait and see, they will see how sales go. I reckon it depends on the quality of the sound chips and how fast and which way their competitors choose to move.

Will people take the chips out and fit them in better locos having them reblown I think that will definately happen, time will tell. Hopefully the locos with new sound chip will be available within 3 months, I don't think we will see the chip sold by Hornby on its own this year.

Will people take the chips out and fit them in better locos having them reblown I think that will definately happen, time will tell.

This will definitely not happen. Hornby's TTS decoders will not be re-programmable. What you get is what you get.

And Bachmann's cheap versions, also announced but not available, will add more than twice the cost of the TSS decoders. They will not be user re-programmable either.

BTW, not all the locos scheduled for TTS are Railroad versions.

Kind regards,

Paul

This will definitely not happen. Hornby's TTS decoders will not be re-programmable. What you get is what you get.

And Bachmann's cheap versions, also announced but not available, will add more than twice the cost of the TSS decoders. They will not be user re-programmable either.

BTW, not all the locos scheduled for TTS are Railroad versions.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

have you seen this in writing that the chips, Hornby and Bachmann, will not be re-programmable or is it still speculation?

PJ

Hi Paul

have you seen this in writing that the chips, Hornby and Bachmann, will not be re-programmable or is it still speculation?

PJ

Bachmann will be using re-branded Soundtraxx budget sound decoders. Sountraxx do not allow user sound project compilation and loading for any of their decoders, and there is, therefore, no programming software publically available to do so.

This was confirmed by Bachmann to our leader, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73933-new-economy-sound-locos/?p=1097430

Andy has also posted that Hornby TTS will not be user loadable, based on his preview and info direct from Hornby .

I don't regard this as speculation.

Paul

• 1 month later...

TTS Twin Sound Track Sound --- UPDATE

Hornby magazine May 2014

DCC handbook included with magazine

Page 6 of handbook

The first releases will be Riddles '8P' 71000 Duke of Gloucester in BR lined green
EXPECTED SEPT 2014

Followed by Peppercorn 'A1' 60163 Tornado in BR lined blue

This is the latest regarding TTS sound

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon me if it's posted already. Taken from the MRE Mag page:

http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

"

TTS and Horse Boxes

I think I can clarify a couple of points from Wednesday's MREmag.

First, Julian Saunders asked about Twin Track Sound. According to Hornby the name refers to the way the sounds have been put together, i.e. a constant sound on one “channel” with spot sounds on the second.  TTS fitted locomotives will only obtain sound if they are DCC running.  In other words if running on analogue the sound will not be heard.

Mike Rholson"

Really? This maybe a massive problem... As I have ordered the Network Rail Class 37 to run on my analogue layout. :fool: Any confirmation on this development? Just though it would be interesting to get the basic sounds going...

Really? This maybe a massive problem... As I have ordered the Network Rail Class 37 to run on my analogue layout. :fool: Any confirmation on this development? Just though it would be interesting to get the basic sounds going...

You could contact Hornby although you may not get a reply. If not contact your supplier and let them know what you have heard, tell them you want the item but, only if it will work on your system. This way you have been up front with them and if when available it won't work on your system you cancel the order before paying. It also helps your supplier, if others contact them they know not to over order.

Archived