St Albans Model Railway Exhibition - 11/12 January 2014

adrianmc

• RMweb Gold

The St Albans Model Railway Exhibition 2014

showposter14.jpg

Organised by the Chiltern Model Railway Association (CMRA)

THE ALBAN ARENA

Civic Centre

St Albans

AL1 3ED

Saturday 11th January 2014

Sunday 12th January 2014

Open 10am till 6pm Saturday and 10am till 5pm Sunday

The 2014 St Albans Model Railway Exhibition will once again be featuring a selection of some of the best quality layouts around.

There will be full trade support as well as Demonstration and Engineering stands.

Details of layouts and trade attending can be found on the Association's website at:

http://www.cmra.org.uk/stalbans.html

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me that there is rather a lot of modern image, by that  I mean BR onwards.

Guessed that the term might be open to some interpretation.

As some gentlemen on here consider the LMS twins to be 'state of the art'.

Even though in reality one was really thinking about post TOPS onwards, even though that now carries a forty year time frame.

Looks as if I will have to concentrate more on the 'retail therapy' aspect of the exhibition, unless of course there are some good cameos to be seen.

As usual, there will be lots of high quality modelling on display. Does it really matter what the subject matter is?

Jerry

Can someone in the know ask RM if they can arrange for downloadable exhibition floorplans. I like to know where exhibitors and traders are located in advance as it is not always convenient to scan the guide on arrival. Being now disabled an advance floorplan would save me having to retrace my steps should I miss someone first time round.

As usual, there will be lots of high quality modelling on display. Does it really matter what the subject matter is?

Jerry

It does to me. Although there are a few things at St Albans I'd really like to see, I wouldn't be too enthralled by a show that featured only pre-grouping and Gauge 1, for example. Likewise, my next-door neighbour whose spare bedroom has been taken over by 1930s LMS steam wouldn't give a monkeys about a layout set in South Wales post-privatisation. To me a good show has a little bit of everything and that includes modern image. The quality of modelling at exhibition level should be taken for granted that it's going to be between very good and awesome but I think the content is every bit as important too. As a modeller, I prefer a broad spread of content at a show, and I imagine Joe Public, who may be about to take his or her first steps with a model railway, does too.

Edit: I'm not knocking the St Albans line-up in any way. I've already posted in this thread that it's one exhibition I'd very much like to see.

• RMweb Gold

As a modeller, I prefer a broad spread of content at a show, and I imagine Joe Public, who may be about to take his or her first steps with a model railway, does too.

Edit: I'm not knocking the St Albans line-up in any way. I've already posted in this thread that it's one exhibition I'd very much like to see.

St Albans has; 2mm finescale, N (both 1:148 and 1:160),3mm scale, OO, EM, P4, S, and O gauge in standard gauge. Narrow gauge covers 1:64, 1:48, O-9 and O-16.5. As well as trains from all corners of the British Isles there are those from France, Germany, USA, Austria and New Zealand ranging from the 1880's to the present day. Traction ranges from steam, diesel, trams and overhead electrics

Whilst every bodies particular favourite may not be covered I would certainly argue this is a pretty broad spread over twenty one layouts.

Jerry 

Archived