St Albans Model Railway Exhibition - 11/12 January 2014

adrianmc

Quite enjoyed this one, though not overly impressed with the selection of layouts. As far as I could see, nothing really "modern image" - in this case post-1968 UK.

The layouts were of a very high standard (really liked Melton Mowbray North) but far too many steam branchlines with very little happening. All very worthy but nothing with the "wow" factor to get the younger generation inspired.

I shall probably give this one a miss next year, which is a shame, as it is a lovely excuse to sample the Abbey branch!

The above is one of the reasons I give the Show a miss as I guess that DEMU' s and other post steam groups impact on the railway modeling hobby has been forgotten by the CMRA committee this year!

Nigel

The above is one of the reasons I give the Show a miss as I guess that DEMU' s and other post steam groups impact on the railway modeling hobby has been forgotten by the CMRA committee this year!

Nigel

Nottingham show will have a close on 50/50 mix of steam and post steam layouts including our new OO NSE one and Aberbeeg in S7.

Note to self: remind the relevant people to get the website updated :mosking:

Think that was actually intended for theatre audiences, not exhibition attendees. Stage performers don't want camera flashes going off in their faces, or finding the whole proceedings on YouTube minutes later. It's also pretty bad form for your phone to go off in the middle of a play....

I did think that but they were rather temporary paper ones that looked like they'd been put up hastily rather than 'proper' signs for the long term. And I don't recall seeing them last year - I'd have thought that 'flashes' and phones going off was also an issue in theatres in 2012.

G.

I went yesterday, I have been going for as many years as I can remember, As my other half likes St Albans for shopping as I was there as student. any the venue itself is poor for a model railway exhibition with the odd balcony and the dark basement but it does give me the chance to stock up with bits and pieces and have a chat with friends. one small OO layout seemed prone with derailments and things falling off. 

I found it strange that the 2mm layout St Ruth was on the stage while the 2mm society stand was in the basement and Missy doing a 2mm demo was on the balcony I would have grouped these all together.

?...I found it strange that the 2mm layout St Ruth was on the stage while the 2mm society stand was in the basement and Missy doing a 2mm demo was on the balcony I would have grouped these all together.

The resin moulding demo wasn't listed in the programme at all, so was probably a last-minute cram-in.

I throughly enjoyed it. I had a chat with Missy who's work is quite amazing and a longer chat with Gordon and Maggie Gravet – it's very helpful being able to see their work close to hand and to watch them demonstrate their methods. (I bought Gordon's tree making book, part one). All the demonstrators I spoke to were extremely helpful and very willing to talk – I know that's why they are there but I did feel they were were doing a really good job.

I don't go every year but for me there were a good number of layouts that I really enjoyed and perhaps more so than in the past but then I'm only interested in the steam era. I could have spent all afternoon watching Melton – I was very impressed by it, both the quality of the architectural modelling and the running qualities. I did comment to a friend that one or two of the fine scale layouts did seem to have a few operating/reliability issues.

The American logging layout was great to see and although I could say that it wasn't at all my thing I found the concept of the layout in the round interesting. Very enjoyable overall, roll on Ally Pally.

Just come back from there, not my favourite venue, must be a nightmare for the show manager. I was a bit spoiled with the show as I like 7mm narrow gauge. The two 360 degree layouts on the stage were well worth seeing, and some lovely other layouts there, Trouble with modern image (lack of it at the show) is that for verity normally you need large layouts, where as steam period branch lines have a bit stock to choose from (though may not be prototipicle) and small layouts are the show managers friend,  Good demonstrations always at this show, show managers please take note

Just to chuck in my twopenneth .... I thought the standard of layouts was better than in previous years and spent quite a lot of time on the First Capital Disconnect train to St P thinking whether I could incorporate some of the things I'd seen on the extension I'm planning to my layout - always a good sign! That said, I am old enough to remember steam and that's the era I model. However, I can appreciate those who don't (i.e. who aren't quite so ancient!) might feel a bit disappointed at the lack of anything set later than 1968 - and we ought to be encouraging youngsters by including the contemporary scene in exhibitions. Maybe there aren't enough good ones about.

David C

As I expected - thanks for the response to my earlier post by the old guard how about some comments guys and getting steamed up rather than just checking a box?

Nigel

The old guard won't want to talk to you because you like those newfangled diesel things.

The resin moulding demo wasn't listed in the programme at all, so was probably a last-minute cram-in.

Hello

Look at Stand No U49 on page 44/45 of the programme!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• RMweb Gold

Well we had an excellent weekend, as usual the host club looked after us royally. As I noted in an earlier post there was lots of superb modelling on display. Highlights for me were, on the stage, the French narrow gauge running through the streets - you could almost smell the garlic and taste the wine - superb. The all diesel St Ruth (Penzance) with its new backscene which really enhanced it. Peter Kazer's Boot and a lovely little Wisbech and Upwell layout in the main hall. Maurice Hopper's beautifully presented modern German layout in the entrance lobby and some stunning examples of the scratchbuilders art in the basement, particularly the huge South African narrow gauge and the quaint and very lovely Western Australian stuff.

Add to this some top class demonstrators such as Missy Julia and Gordon and Maggie and I think it was a top notch show.

The above list is far from exhaustive and there was much that I missed as I only managed a few quick forays away from the 2mm Association stand where Kim and I were helping 2mm Andy.

I too would have preferred to have all the 2mm exhibits grouped together if, for no other reason than that it makes covering each other for meal and comfort breaks a lot easier but St Albans is a challenging venue for an exhibition so can live with it. We will be back next year.  

Jerry

Good demonstrations always at this show, show managers please take note

Whilst my finances meant I gave it a miss this year, in favour of Watford Finescale in a few weeks' time, on reflection the demonstrations on the side balconies have been probably one of the CMRA show's strongest points for me over the years. There's still scope for the organisers build this aspect.

The Nim.

HI,

my first visit to this show. Agree that the venue was a little cramped, it must have been bad on Saturday. I forgot to take along the flyers for our little layout, but I suspect that it would be too big (45ft) for this venue.

Anyway for those that didn't make it here is my photo tour. I tried to get a picture of each layout plus a few thing that caught my eye.

Just inside the door was Salz ÖBB. Incorrectly described as N. It is HO and is superb in its depiction of a 21st century location. The use of commercially available items has been used with restraint and a good eye for grouping.

I thought the lighting very effective with the lights set back so that the trees cast shadows onto the foreground. (difficult to capture on film). However, here are a few shots of layout.

post-4587-0-28004900-1389556285_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-80079000-1389556275_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-79943600-1389556301_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-01682400-1389556315_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-10382300-1389556331_thumb.jpg

Next up

Lough Engine Shed. 7mm 32mm gauge

Big! with a good crowd in front so not many pics. There were some nice loco's and engine sheds are a good way of showing them off.

post-4587-0-62418600-1389556599_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-12941000-1389556616_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-83083500-1389556630_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-71655700-1389556651_thumb.jpg

Going downstairs to the cellar we checked out the Bring and Buy. There were still a few bargains to be had even on Sunday, but nothing to really tempt us. A chat at the EMGS stand, as every good member of any organisation should do and then...

A very long delay at One Track Minds who are working in S 1:64 scale model based on a New Zealand prototype of Amberley.

My colleague is interested in railways down under (as well as other places that his work has taken him too) and gets easily distracted but such offerings.

Oh well here are a few pictures. In S gauge 3'6" track works out at 16.5mm...which is handy.

post-4587-0-96432700-1389557876_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-74447100-1389557891_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-15981500-1389557906_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-96103300-1389557919_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-05547200-1389557938_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-14724000-1389557951_thumb.jpg

By the way if you get a chance to see this, take time out to chat to the builders as they have wonderful story to tell of researching a location on the other side of the world where everything has now been obliterated. One thing that came out is that the modelling community in NZ certainly have a quality magazine support. I shall certainly look out for more NZ layouts especially as they have nothing R-T-R.

Right onto the next layout.

I would urge anyone who likes to model to take some time out to have a chat to "layouts in progress". I personally think that too many people passed this by, probably thinking it was American, and missed real gem. This is going to be a classic layout.

I don't know about some of the posters on this thread but I thoroughly enjoyed my half day out today as follows:-

1. The M25 behaved itself, a quarter revolution as far as I'm concerned plus a few miles of the A13. There and back no problems

2. Parking was free, albeit hard to find and took me a while to find a space.

3. There were some really nice layouts that I have not seen before. That is why I went.

4. The venue, whilst not perfect, has a throw back quality to it likening it, in my befuddled mind, to the Central Halls Westminster of beloved memories (perhaps It's the basement, I don't know).

5. I met up with some old friends and it was good to catch up.

Expanding on item 3, it was great for me to find more than one North Eastern Region layout (right up my street!) and I just loved Hartburn and Poole-in-Wharfedale. Kirby Stephen West was also great I thought. Whilst 2mm scale does not "float my boat", I though St. Ruth was superb in a scenic sense, the townscape, much of it low relief, really had visual depth in my opinion.

This is only the second time I have visited this show, the last time in 2009. I wanted to go because I had targeted the layouts that I wanted to see and the hope of buying some stuff. There seems to be much carping from some posters here about a lack of "modern image" or all diesel/electric layouts. The advice I would give to these carpers is that it is not too difficult to find out what layouts are being exhibited these days so find out before you go. Simples! :-)

Regards,

As I expected - thanks for the response to my earlier post by the old guard how about some comments guys and getting steamed up rather than just checking a box?

Nigel

Nigel

Above my head and lost on me. I was going to give the show a miss mainly because of the venue. You missed out on a couple of very good three sixty degree layouts one American and the other French. Now I don't like much either American or Continental railways and guess what the first layout I saw was German, which in fact was very nice, however the American and French layouts were for me the highlights of the show glad I saw them.

This show normally has quite a mixture of layout styles, and this year was no exception. No Welsh narrow gauge this year but I still enjoyed it

Next up.

Little Histon. A nice little layout in OO (16.5)

There are some nice architectural models here.

Again there was a good crowd here, which is a good indicator that the builder has got it right, so not many pictures (especially level ones)

post-4587-0-36426500-1389558681_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-35515100-1389558694_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-76950800-1389558717_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-00423900-1389558736_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-73552800-1389558752_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-76950800-1389558717_thumb.jpg

Next up Sankley by my good friends of Woking MRSM.

Afraid I didn't take many pictures of this.

However here a couple of shots of their watermill. (See the 2013 challenge for why I am interested in this)

post-4587-0-98252800-1389559146_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-85194700-1389559169_thumb.jpg

Whilst down in this corner I spotted these two Farlies under construction

post-4587-0-87663700-1389559412_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-09623900-1389559433_thumb.jpg

and this!

post-4587-0-60974300-1389559452_thumb.jpg

I have trouble quartering a 0-4-0! Just look at the wheels on this side and think of all that motion atop!

• RMweb Gold

We visited yesterday. A very good show we thought but it does get very crowded being such a popukar show.

Hihglight for me was the American On3 layout on the stage and also Melton Mowbray. The backscene on St Ruth was a very nice departure from the normal flat backscenes

The rest of the day was spent visiting some of the superb pubs in the City.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

This show normally has quite a mixture of layout styles, and this year was no exception. No Welsh narrow gauge this year but I still enjoyed it

Fully agree. Whilst there was no Welsh narrow gauge that I saw there was narrow gauge from England, France, USA, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa :) 

Jerry 

The 'old guard' comment has made me smile, I'm young enough not to remember steam locomotives but have very strong recollections of being hauled to school behind a class 31, 37 or 47 or suffering on cold rattling DMUs but I have no interest in modelling this. I find it quite a depressing era and not one I have any desire to recreate in miniature.

One of my own real interests is the Pre-Group era and I don't recall seeing a Pre-grouping layout there today, if it had been I missed it. But the show was great. For example, watching St Ruth – it didn't matter a bit that the motive power wasn't steam, I still got a great deal out of it. And for a few minutes I was imagining it with steam traction… When looking at layouts it's great to come away full of inspiration but I'm not looking for something to copy but more seeking a concept that is a catalyst to spark an idea of my own.

Fully agree. Whilst there was no Welsh narrow gauge that I saw there was narrow gauge from England, France, USA, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa :)

Jerry 

Jerry

That's why I still liked it. Also the scenery on some of the standard gauge layouts was of a high standard. As I said think it was well worth a visit and I only spent £2.40 at the Roxey stall on some 7mm coach seats. Then bought 16 more on Ebay tonight.

Onwards with my tour

Belbroughton a nice spacious 7mm layout with lots of track.

post-4587-0-53200400-1389561232_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-13635600-1389561290_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-26337500-1389561310_thumb.jpg

Then we pass Jerry (Queensquare) sat in the corner with some fine 2mm Midland locos. I'm looking forward to seeing these finished and fully lined. Hopefully you will be doing in fully decorated lake?

Onto Poole-in-Wharfedale NER in OO

Again a good crowd puller. A nice touch is the moving road vehicles that don't go too fast. (Could I suggest that you find a way of stopping the bus at the station.)

post-4587-0-70255900-1389561022_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-12412000-1389561045_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-70529400-1389561063_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-64398000-1389561086_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-62721700-1389561110_thumb.jpgpost-4587-0-57957600-1389561148_thumb.jpg

Then a break for lunch. The café upstairs did some nice bagettes and hot food. I went for the pasty. Although there was a lack of somewhere to sit to eat. Perhaps the organisers could look at this. However when I go again I might try the nearby high street.

Archived