Western Wishlisting

• RMweb Gold

After seeing all the froth on both Hornby & Bachmann postings, I thought I'd start a list for Great Western & BR (Western) locomotives & stock.

Please put down cogent, and well thought reasons why you would like a particular model or item.

It's not to our interest to 'pan' a manufacturer, more to lead them down what can be a thorny path towards excellence. It's going to be difficult to get one-off items, that were made 100+ years ago, of which none survive, so we really need to keep it realistic. A bit less Dean No36, and a bit more Hawksworth 94xx. It's clear that we can engage the likes of Bachmann, et al, to deliver some excellent kit, and we can even encourage Hornby to make upgrades, so the more positive, the better. After all, if we don't let them know, they are inclined to wander off into the wilderness!

Perhaps the smaller manufacturers can pick up on this, and help fill in the gaps as well.

For me, after the Baccy 64xx, I'd like some earlier period coaches, to go with the earlier period locomotives

Kind regards,

Ian

I'd welcome any pre-1948 GWR coaching stock with open arms! I'm pretty surprised that the carriage sidings of both the GWR and LMS weren't beneficiaries of today's announcement. Both companies could benefit from mainline stock other then the late period Hawksworths and Stanier Period 3's,and both companies need non-gangwayed stock something rotten. Disciples of Swindon also need a new Toad and a Siphon of either the F, G or H variety, at the very least. 

In terms of locos, I'm still not persuaded that the King would sell in huge numbers as the most recent Hornby offering isn't that bad.

My current top three loco wants? A 43xx Mogul, a Dean Goods, and a 14xx. All retools of course. As for the perennially longed-for 47xx? I wouldn't say no! 

• RMweb Gold

Simples - some Collet non-gangwayed stock, a redone Bachmann 'Manor' and 43XX, and a 15XX. Oh and petition Bachmann fora  94XX for 2015 please once they've got teh 64XX finished and out.

Considering that Bachmann already 'do' the chassis for the 94xx, I'd have thought it a good option. Considering that 9466 has done some turns on 'Steam on the Met', should widen it's appeal.

Ian

I would rather see some new models than revamps of old ones.  I take County of Yorkshire's point about the Siphon G since the ex-Lima inside framed variant is a model of possibly only one vehicle but with planked Plastikard, heavy engineering and bad language it is possible to make something of it - at least I hope it is for I have the task in hand and will share the result with you all if and when I succeed.

I agree with Stationmaster about Collett non-gangwayed stock but I fear that the GWR shot the manufacturers in the foot.  Take the humble 9-compartment third.  Under Collett there were four* different body profiles and two different lengths, excluding the two built for the Highworth branch and the one for the BPGV line, so if they plump for one there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth about the three that were not chosen.  Ungrateful, aren't we?

Chris

* -  edit - make that at least four since I forgot the earliest examples of Collett's reign!

• RMweb Premium

A Castle with 3500 gallon tender with garter emblem, Armstrong Standard goods to make a change from the Deans goods, a large Metro would be nice and any RTR version of the early panniers. Any accurate  coaches in 1922 livery as I'm modelling the mid '20's.

The loco's to be to a decent standard, not railroad or design clever standards.

SS

• RMweb Gold

A well detailed 47xx with correct wheels, spokes, livery, tender, buffer beam numbers, no extra lamp iron, straight footplate, footplate detail, chimney, safety valve cover, sprung buffers, packing that can survive the drop test and available to buy on stated release date. :imsohappy:

I know it's nearly Christmas but miracles never happen do they.....

Me.Any brand new never before rtr GWR coach suitable for a mixture of trains, cross country express whatever.No more centenaries please.Also a van up to the standard of that Southern marlarky.

• RMweb Premium

A well detailed 47xx with correct wheels, spokes, livery, tender, buffer beam numbers, no extra lamp iron, straight footplate, footplate detail, chimney, safety valve cover, sprung buffers, packing that can survive the drop test and available to buy on stated release date. :imsohappy:

As above but with the shorter cab roof and 3500 gallon tender.

Well, for me, its got to be a 29xx. There were over 60 of these beautiful engines built from 1902 onwards, and many survived into BR days. If I had to be specific, it would be the earlier square framed Ladies that would drain my bank account dry - but Saints and Courts would be lovely too... but I'd concede that an atlantic is out of the question. Apart from the fact that none survived into preservation I can't fathom why an RTR hasn't been done properly before now.

To give 2902 Lady of the Lake something to pull, how about some toplights or some re-tooled clerestories? Failing that, couldn't we at least have the clerestories back in the range? I'm pretty tired of only seeing them in expensive train packs.  

To fill out the wagons I'd like a dead simple, bog standard box van. Some Minks from the early 1900's would be great, but something 'typically ordinary'. Some brown Fish vans, maybe, but definitely something of a utilitarian nature.

A Star in as-built condition, too, please. No outside pipes, no top feed, cute little tender, full paint job. The idea of that and a Lady in similar condition does peculiar things to me... 

I'd like Bachmann to sprinkle stardust on their veteran G.W.R. "Mainline" locomotives, e.g. The Manor and 43xx series, rather than just issue further "reheats".

At the same time Bachmann should finally produce some new GWR coaches and not bother to re-issue the "tired two" ( or is that four with the two "ringers"?)yet again.

The coaches I would like to see them produce would be 1925 57' Corridor Bow-enders to Diagrams D95(Brake 3rd),C54(Third),E127(Composite) and E128(Brake Composite) to allow the formation of some half decent 3 and 4 coach sets.

A bit of uniformity of appearance would be possible (if you like that kind of thing - manufacturers seem to) and a decent number of livery variations are also possible.

Followed by 1934 Non-Corridor Diagrams C66/75(Third)and D117(Brake Third).

I've given up on Hornby, as they partially wasted their last opportunity with the limited usefulness of the Hawksworths, and I reckon it might be around 2020/21 before the GWR gets another proper look-in. The sequence seems to be Gresleys(LNER)(2004)Staniers(LMS)(2005-06)Maunsells(SR)(2007-09)Hawksworths((gwr)/WR)(2010-?)and currently back to the LNER....and so on...

I fear weeks of wearing the Comet multiple door furniture fixing "hair shirt" long before any of the above ever comes to pass.

• RMweb Premium

I know it's nearly Christmas but miracles never happen do they.....

Me.Any brand new never before rtr GWR coach suitable for a mixture of trains, cross country express whatever.No more centenaries please.Also a van up to the standard of that Southern marlarky.

I agree with Robin above and would add:

Toad brakevan, to modern standards.

48xx no top feed, with matching pre-war autocoach.

57xx no top feed

Followed by 1934 Non-Corridor Diagrams C66/75(Third)and D117(Brake Third).

This is a good illustration of my point a few posts back.  The C66 and C75 have the same length and number of compartments but significantly differing body profiles and depth of windows.  Be careful what you wish for: there is already a kit that makes a hybrid.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, if anybody's listening to us:

Toplights (or other pre-war corridor coaches - pref. not 70 footers for clearance/overhang reasons)

43xx

A Bulldog (pref. bird series)

A 6-wheel siphon (like the old K's kit)

And like others I'd definitely buy a 47xx, even if I don't consider it absolutely essential.

I'm primarily interested in BLTs in the BR period, so ...

Locos: 74xx body from Bachmann, a revamped 14xx (or even better 58xx!) and 16xx (highly unlikely, but there were more of them than the pannier Heljan are introducing!)

Coaches: a decent B set to modern standards, toplights (including a brake compo) and a dia F14 concertina slip coach as used on the Faringdon and Newcastle Emlyn branches (even unlikelier than a 16xx, but I did say I wanted branch line stock!)

Wagons: another plea for a decent toad.

David C

I think the problems with non-corridor coaching stock varieties are too great really, and probably the game is not worth the candle.

However, now that SRM 93 is out and about, I think a 70' steam railmotor would sell very well, and the tooling, if cunningly done, would allow the recreation of the trailer that it was made into and then back out of. 

A Bulldog on the Dukedog underpinnings would be great, and then maybe a Duke using the 'Dog's boiler…  Bachmann methods of assembly lend themselves to emulating the Great Western way of doing things.

For large passenger engines a Saint in any form would be wonderful; I prefer the Holcroft curved framing, but Hornby's 2800/2884 models show that they can mix and match - so inside/outside steam pipes, straight/curved front drop ends and high or low cab side would all be possible, as would aligning the cylinders above or on the driving wheel centrelines.

Of course, I would like any type of pannier tank too.  Heljan should be able to make a 1361 from their new 1366 and the Bachmann 64xx would make an easy 54 or 74.  With a bit more work, it could also be a 2021 (please!) or a 16xx.  Representatives of these two classes ended up in industrial service too.

For coaches - the building of which is what I enjoy the most - I would agree with Coachmann that the 57' bow ended stock offers the best bet.  There is a C54 corridor third strengthening every other train in most of my pictorial books, and the composites and brake ends (which were both handed) were numerous too.  This stock had a wide route availability too, can be in four different GWR and three BR liveries, and survived late in departmental use and also in preservation.

Wagons…  Felix Pole coal wagons and some early Minks.

• RMweb Gold

This is a good illustration of my point a few posts back.  The C66 and C75 have the same length and number of compartments but significantly differing body profiles and depth of windows.  Be careful what you wish for: there is already a kit that makes a hybrid.

Chris

I agree Chris so what about us GWR modellers all sticking to the same hymn sheet come poll time with one or two main choices together.Vote in numbers and shout from the rooftops.

Archived