Western Wishlisting

A bit of uniformity of appearance would be possible (if you like that kind of thing - manufacturers seem to)

Yes they do, because that is the way RTR manufacturers think, but uniformity of style is usually completely absent in any typical GWR train. I generalise of course, but you know what I mean.

In roughly prioritized order for the top of my list.

1. Steam railmotor + trailer in Collett late 1920s chocolate and cream

2. Coaches

2.1 Churchward toplight gangwayed coaches + Diagram F14 slip to match, in Collett late 1920s chocolate and cream

2.2 Collett 57' bow-ended 1923-1928 gangwayed coaches + appropriate slip to match (don't know the diagram numbers, F15 or F16 perhaps?)

3. Wagons

3.1 MICA

3.2 BLOATER

3.3 MONSTER

3.4 TOAD - updated tooling with a working rear lamp

4. Locomotives

4.1 A reissued Star with 10-spoked wheels in Collett late 1920s GREAT <arms> WESTERN livery

4.2 Ex Swansea Harbour Trust Peckett 0-4-0ST (as being nicely representative of an industrial locomotive absorbed into the GWR)

4.3 New Saint (as per Star above)

Lots of people want a 47xx and sure it would be nice. We've so many 8-coupled locomotives lately 28xx, 42xx, 72xx etc that my goods department is not hurting for motive power and I don't need one. Were one to be produced, I'd certainly think about it.

Non-gangwayed stock is always nice too, as are 'interesting' wagons including permanent way wagons.

I agree Chris so what about us GWR modellers all sticking to the same hymn sheet come poll time with one or two main choices together.Vote in numbers and shout from the rooftops.

This is really only relevant for wishlist polls where the number of votes is restricted.

When you have unrestricted numbers of votes, there's no harm in voting for what each of us wants individually.

The trick is making sure that the diagrams we want are included in the poll. Making recommendations for diagrams before the poll takes place is probably the most useful thing we could do to drive consensus. I have tried to do this for slip coaches, but there was little apparent interest. I have to conclude that not many people are interested in slip coaches and I should probably look for a kit.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - I have to be very reticent on this thread in view of what I already know about who is planning or working on what although I know very little about timescales.  But I know nothing about anyone's intentions for coaching stock - if they have any intentions that is.

Ambiguous again Mike.Go on tell me no ones listening. ;) 

• RMweb Gold

I will only advise that if, say, a particular item of stock or locomotive exists, and it can be scanned, then we're in with a chance of asking for it.

I don't reckon the Saint, until Didcot finish 2999. I reckon we'll see it about a year previous to full size completion, to tie in with the launch.

Toplight coaches. I reckon that's a commission job myself. I'd love some RTR, but I reckon Coopercraft are our port of call....

We are all probably familiar with the Toad postings on here, so apart from getting a better model RTR, that's about it.

I must confess that we might be a minority, and a shrinking one at that. We're not getting any younger! Against that, some of the producers can take liberties (some diabolical)with historical data. You need only look at the Electroen Taff Vale offerings. Hurry-Riches must be spinning in his grave.... Nice chassis, but AAArgh!

At some point, we will reach a common concencus about what we'd like, and then we can petition makers, etc. After all, they like our money!

Kind regards,

Ian

I agree Chris so what about us GWR modellers all sticking to the same hymn sheet come poll time with one or two main choices together.Vote in numbers and shout from the rooftops.

That would be great but unfortunately "Western" modellers seem to resemble the former inhabitants of Babel at times.

Well according to my sources then I must be Brad Pitt ! Not quite sure what you mean. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449467/

It was an obscure reference, which clearly missed it's mark by many a mile, meant to suggest that "Western" modellers, for perfectly valid reasons, have great difficulty in reaching anything approach a consensus when suggesting what might be produced for them next.

However, if you truly are Brad Pitt, all is not lost. I suggest you reprise Achilles and ruthlessly cut down all the weaker suggestions to leave only the very strongest remaining for consideration. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking having Angelina Jolie on my arm and other women gushing at me but then I woke up.Off topic !

One assumes that you're on the verge of joining the " dirty old man's club" As Harold Steptoe to his father Albert ^ You dirty old man"  Welcome!

a founder member.

SS

edit for quote

For me (in OO gauge):

Improved 14xx, preferably without top feed so I can recreate 1453. (I however not got two so l might try the mainly trains kit soon)

Improved pre-war Auto-trailer. Maybe a Churchward era one like the Lionheart 'O' gauge one.

The 58foot toplights. I love a 'slip' as a few end up branch line services in their last years.

That's it though really.

Many years ago I bought a number of kits of locos and coaches that I felt then would be unlikely to be produced ready to run. Up to now, the model manufacturers have produced almost all the locos - and a few additional items - the only missing GWR locos are the 47XX 2-8-0 and The Great Bear. With coaches, though, the reverse is true, with only the Hawksworths and one or two LMS types having been produced RTR.

Which GWR items would I now like to see rtr:-

1 47xx

2 15xx

3 94xx

4 More variations based on the City/Dukedog chassis - Bulldog, Duke, Atbara, etc

5 The Great Bear, but I guess this to be dreamland, really.

6 Toplight coaches. I can see the logic in going for the 57' length.

7 If a 70' coach were on the cards I'd prefer a "Dreadnought" or "Concertina" coach, but I recognise these may only have a very limited appeal.

8 Collett 57' bow-ended 1923-1928 gangwayed coaches

9 A slip coach to match one of 6 or 8 above

here's hoping,

Colin

I would buy just about anything that was Brunswick green and had GWR or Great Western painted on the side.  However, I do have some favourites that I wish I could buy as decent r-t-r in OO ...

Locos in no particular order of want or need
2721 0-6-0ST as originally built (as saddle tanks before conversion to pannier tanks) or 1361 0-6-0ST.  I think we are crying out for a GWR saddle tank
2900 Saint 4-6-0 - to go with my Star
2301 Dean Goods 0-6-0 - With polished brass dome please
3252 Duke 4-4-0 - or Atbara or Badminton - fine looking locos and would look great next to my City
3561 Metro 2-4-0T - I have always loved the look of these, and something different from 1400
2221 County Tank 4-4-2T - no-one has mentioned one of these. One of Churchward's original 6 standards
4300 Mogul 2-6-0 - we all need a few of these on our layouts and the Mainline/Bachmann version needs retooling
7800 Manor 4-6-0 - one of my personal favourites and needs a revamp
Steam Railmotor - another type for our branch lines

Rolling Stock
Any coaches would be very welcome: 4-wheeler, dreadnoughts, toplights, bow end, open saloon. As others have suggested, a mix of coaches is required to be prototypical

Some of the more unusual as well as usual wagons:  siphons of all types, as well as milk tanks, larger flat trucks (beaver, Loriot).

The Pacific

I will not mention 111 for fear of being classed as a "dreamer".  But I've always wanted one and I hope that one day we will get one.

I would buy just about anything that was Brunswick green and had GWR or Great Western painted on the side.  However, I do have some favourites that I wish I could buy as decent r-t-r in OO ...

The Pacific

I will not mention 111 for fear of being classed as a "dreamer".  But I've always wanted one and I hope that one day we will get one.

Might have to wait for this until Golden Age have cleared item one from this list.

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/GWR-Locomotives-Star-Class-OO-Gauge.html

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

I feel the priority is really coaching stock

With the shortage of coaches to be pulled by the locos on offer from both the blue and red box folk what about Hornby revamping their Dean corridor clerestory stock with actual relief mouldings as a starter.

As others have said bow ended stock would also fill a major gap for pre 1934 passenger stock and with the above some mixed stock trains could be run.

Some top lights (a Brake comp would be nice but would need to a shorter ones I guess E95? But realistically not likely due to all the varieties toplights came in

Earlier pre 1929 auto coach*

Brown stock :

a brake van suitable for milk trains not fussed on diagram just one with longevity and suitable for pre 1934 K1?

a fish van in pre 1934 (to be launched by manufacturer at the same time as the above pbv ) S6 / S8?

again any pre 1934 parcel stock to go with the pbv

Where 4wheel stock is mentioned I think this is unlikely 6 wheel stock is as likely

Locos the main classes have been dealt with but new models needed of the elderly models as said by others of 14xx, Manor, 43xx, for a change 51xx ;-)

Bulldog - as a follow on from the Dukedog

Small Metro tank or the predecessor of the 14xx the 517 class to go with*

More wishful thinking instead of more pannier tanks how about saddle tank 2021 or an 850 go with*

Sorry re the SRM already have mine ... also think this would be difficult in ready to run with it's extremely fine valve gear.

I look forward to seeing Dapol's streamlined rail car despite the above era restrictions ;-)

Archived