Western Wishlisting

Might have to wait for this until Golden Age have cleared item one from this list.

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/GWR-Locomotives-Star-Class-OO-Gauge.html

Mike Wiltshire

I would not be able to afford a Golden Age model and have any money left for anything else on my "wishlist"!  However, I can wait for a "cheaper" Bear.

You don't want much can't you think of anything else to fatten your list up. :jester:

If you give me a few moments I am sure I can think of some thing I missed :sungum:

Personally, I like to compare the lineage of locomotives:  How the Star's developed into the Castles and into the Kings; and how the Saints developed to the Halls; and the moguls into the Granges and Manors.  The size difference between the large and small prairies; the detail differences between panniers.

Even at Didcot, I find it difficult to compare lengths, boilers, wheel diameters; and I cannot visualise how much larger the Pacific was to a Star for example.  I also find that a 3-dimensional model is easier to follow when reading text books rather than line diagrams or descriptions.

So yes, it may seem "greedy" and also unspecific on period; but this is the part of GWR railway heritage that really interests me ... How the locomotives were innovated and developed from the Singles right through to the Counties.  And for that, I guess, I need accurate models of "all most of them" :angel:

Hi KGV,

I guess I will have to organise a 2014 RMWEB Didcot tour and SHOW you the difference... When I know the schedule and what the plans at the centre are I will start a thread!

For Little Didcot the 47XX (No. 4709) the railmotor as an auto coach (potential for doing both No. 93 and No. 212) and trailer No. 92 and as we are getting a new auto fitted pannier in the market it makes sense to do both these in my book! They were both still in service in the early 1950s so it has a broad time period appeal.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Trying to keep the list short... In 00.

94XX and a decent 43XX seem to be no brainers to me. A 5101 class would seem pretty useful. Any pre-war coaching stock, realistically 57' but dreadnoughts would be nice but unlikely. A siphon, plus goods stock to modern quality standards.

Any of the above would seem a profitable long term choice for a manufacturer.

Nothing new there but perhaps that's the point...

Regards, Trevor

• RMweb Premium

Retoolsof the Mainline engines please,

and

Toplights - a full brake, a passenger brake, and two different "all passenger" carriages.  At least one variant in chocolate and cream.  Leave off the logos - provide a pack of DIY ones instead  - solves the shirtbutton/no shirtbutton arguments.

• RMweb Premium

Trying to keep the list short... In 00.

94XX and a decent 43XX seem to be no brainers to me. A 5101 class would seem pretty useful. Any pre-war coaching stock, realistically 57' but dreadnoughts would be nice but unlikely. A siphon, plus goods stock to modern quality standards.

Any of the above would seem a profitable long term choice for a manufacturer.

Nothing new there but perhaps that's the point...

Regards, Trevor

Trevor I'd go along with the majority of what you have suggested especially the 43xx but am unsure about the 94xx being that popular with GW buyers as wasn't it not introduced until about 1947?

So I'm guessing that like the Hawksworth coaches the majority were more likely to have never appeared in BR rather than GW livery and had relatively short lives.

Also wasn't there main duty shunting empty coaching stock?

R

• RMweb Premium

Trevor I'd go along with the majority of what you have suggested especially the 43xx but am unsure about the 94xx being that popular with GW buyers as wasn't it not introduced until about 1947?

So I'm guessing that like the Hawksworth coaches the majority were more likely to have never appeared in BR rather than GW livery and had relatively short lives.

Also wasn't there main duty shunting empty coaching stock?

R

Agreeing with your point about the 94/84XX not being introduced until 1947, in fact I think only the first 10 were delivered to the GWR. However, I am just glancing through a treasured copy of the 1956/7 Ian Allan locoshed book  - given to me much later I hasten to add! :) and the  200+ examples were shedded all over the former GWR. Some were indeed used at Paddington on empty stock but also they were famously used for banking on the Lickey incline. I believe one was tried out at Temple Mills yard on the eastern Region. Two are preserved.

Trevor.

• RMweb Gold

Great Western Railway Journal No 62 gives chapter and verse on the 94xx class in traffic.  They were used on a suprising range of services, not just shunting and pilot working; i.e. Reading Turn 29 (1951/2) included the 6/15 passenger Reading to Hungerford, then ECS to Newbury at 7/20.  The turn also involved Freight work; 5.55 Newbury to Reading H.L.

The Newport District used them on passenger work and indeed one of the regulars on my local (London Division) branchline was a 94XX - complete with an old box for the Driver to stand on.  I currently suspect the 94XX as a 2015 release from ?????????????????

• RMweb Gold

The 94xx were red engines, so few branches could take them - not that it will deter most model BLT owners!

Not that it always bothered BR, given there are photos of 94xx on both the Calne and Cheddar branches, both of which were not allowed. Makes me wonder if it happened in GW days as well...

• RMweb Gold

Not that it always bothered BR, given there are photos of 94xx on both the Calne and Cheddar branches, both of which were not allowed. Makes me wonder if it happened in GW days as well...

I doubt it happened in GWR days with 94XX ;)  But it would be interesting to know if 57XX got on the Calne branch back then.

I think BR took a slightly more liberal view on the 'weighting' of some of its branches, but no doubt each would have undergone some form of assessment before the heavier locos were permitted. There were I understand degrees of 'yellowness' and 'blueness', and the 57xx class were miraculously reclassified as yellow engines in 1950.

Generally though, I really can't see the traffic requirement for using a 94xx on the vast majority of branches.

• RMweb Premium

Generally though, I really can't see the traffic requirement for using a 94xx on the vast majority of branches.

Hi Miss Prism

Or a GWR parcels railcar.....now there are two for the RTR guys to make the streamlined one and the post war chunky one, and I am sure every BLT has such a level of parcels traffic they will need one if not both. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Miss Prism

Or a GWR parcels railcar.....now there are two for the RTR guys to make the streamlined one and the post war chunky one, and I am sure every BLT has such a level of parcels traffic they will need one if not both. :no:

Not only that, but the BLT is "set in the 1920's"....

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to suggest the following:

A few small tank engines (obviously not all of these). There were several classes of RR 0-6-2Ts with the same wheelbase as the 56xx, so all that would be needed is a body to fit on the Bachmann chassis. I've included the TVR because I understand there are others who would like some as well as me.

Rhymney Railway A, A1, AP, M, P, P1, R classes, all 0-6-2T.

Taff Vale A, M, M1, N, O, O1, O2, O3, O4, U, U1 classes, all 0-6-2T.

Maybe also a Taff Vale or Rhymney 0-6-0ST.

Collett non-gangwayed coaches, a matching set so that sets as used in Bristol, Cardiff and London can be made. Someone said there were various shapes of these; it needs someone to decide which one to make and then get on and produce them.

I certainly agree with the suggestion made earlier about a multipack of Felix Pole wagons. I reckon I could use about 50 of them (wagons, that is, not multipacks).

• RMweb Gold

A few small tank engines (obviously not all of these). There were several classes of RR 0-6-2Ts with the same wheelbase as the 56xx, so all that would be needed is a body to fit on the Bachmann chassis. I've included the TVR because I understand there are others who would like some as well as me.

Collett non-gangwayed coaches, a matching set so that sets as used in Bristol, Cardiff and London can be made. Someone said there were various shapes of these; it needs someone to decide which one to make and then get on and produce them.

I certainly agree with the suggestion made earlier about a multipack of Felix Pole wagons. I reckon I could use about 50 of them (wagons, that is, not multipacks).

Wills Finecast do the Taff U/U1 class. It's a nice little kit to make. If you use the Wills 61xx Chassis (much modified) you can make quite a few different locomotives to boot

Taff Vale O/O1. N Class

Rhondda & Swansea Bay Rly (Can't remember the class).

Cardiff Railway big 062's

There's a few more, but you'll need to read the good book (RCTS, volume 11).

Felix Pole 20 tonners? Get me down for some, please....

Ian

Hey Budgie why stop at the more conventional classes of Welsh tank engine. Something a bit different might sell better for novelty value. How about the Rhymney K class outside framed 0-6-2T some of which were even fitted with panniers.

Sadly I think Welsh valleys specific types are unlikely, except possibly for the preserved one.

I'll concur with the votes for non-corridor 1920s coaching stock, or better still some decent non-corridor clerestories with panelling, after all some of those lasted into BR days, in service at that.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Hey Budgie why stop at the more conventional classes of Welsh tank engine. Something a bit different might sell better for novelty value. How about the Rhymney K class outside framed 0-6-2T some of which were even fitted with panniers.

Sadly I think Welsh valleys specific types are unlikely, except possibly for the preserved one.

You are probably right, which is why I was suggesting classes that may be the easiest to produce in RTR. However, if we are going to consider kits, I think that a word into the shell-like of the bloke at Dean Sidings could be called for. After all, there are a few drawings in the WRRC/Lightmoor book on Rhymney Railway drawings, which will help.

I'll concur with the votes for non-corridor 1920s coaching stock, or better still some decent non-corridor clerestories with panelling, after all some of those lasted into BR days, in service at that.

Adrian

Well, Hornby could start by reissuing those old coaches of theirs that have no known prototype.

• RMweb Gold

Well, Hornby could start by reissuing those old coaches of theirs that have no known prototype.

Go and wash your mouth out.That's the worse suggestion I've heard all year.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Miss Prism

Hi All

While eating my tea I started to think, my wife did start to worry.

Anyhow what I thought of, being a "Modern Image" modeller, was about the other diesels that the GWR had or ordered before 1948. Now No1 as a RTR loco has been done in 7mm, so that is off the list. No2 would be nice as it was the same as a few LMS locos which later went to the WD apart from 2. It was also quite a rare diesel livery wise as at one point it carried the early BR totem (it is not a crest .....Grebes have crest) after being repainted green which was not a common livery considering nearly 3,000 shunters of all sizes were painted green and only a few had this combination.

The next batch were 15101-7, Now number 7 is a bit of an oddity as it did not have an English Electric engine and there were visual differences between this and the other six. The other six were introduced in one of the most spectacular shunter liveries, OK it was GWR green with British Railways on the engine room doors in GWR post war type face and five figure brass number plates. later the brass number plates were removed and they ended their days in BR Green with the emblem and wasp ends. Now to me a ER 1960s modeller these locos would be a god send, they were identical to the LMS/EE 350 hp shunters (class11), of which the ER had quite a few of the 105 running on BR. A few were built for the WD as well. A must for the RTR guys, pseudo GWR livery, LMS, WD, and a host of BR liveries.

Before anyone says that a Class 08 could simply be renumbered......so could a Saint into a Grange, same differences, smaller wheels, lower running plate and different cab. :nono:

• 2 weeks later...

Collecting a Shirtbutton Centenary rake can be difficult getting the colour match, but I did it!

I have always collected GWR Goods Wagons, so I arranged OO drawings for:-

Coral A D2

Pollen C 

Pollen E   84997-85000
Pollen E   84998-84999 Pre-1930

Pollen E   84998-84999 Post-1930 Rebuild

all now available in 3D Prints & Kits.

- others to come.

• RMweb Premium

A Crocodile.    3d printed bogies and scale drawings and a photo or two of how to make either or both of the centre sections.

Could go the whole hogand add into the kit the pairs of Dean bogies which were used for resting the out of use centre section on.

I bet you that would sell well.

Here's my shilling's worth...

Firstly - I'd like Hornby to follow Bachmann's lead and start using proper GWR green instead of that weird shade they keep using. (I can't work out precisely what's wrong with it, but I'd say there's too much blue in the mix and it's not deep enough).

Secondly - as some people have already suggested, a 14xx/48xx and Dean Goods to modern standards would be lovely. (Can anyone tell I've plans for a GWR BLT ... ?)

Thirdly - a Duke, Bulldog, 31xx and 2600 'Aberdare' would be nice, and fill some of the major gaps in the ranks.

Fourthly - while a 94xx and 15xx would be nice, I'd be happier with some of the earlier types of Pannier. (I'm thinking of the 645, Buffalo, 2721, and 2021 designs).

Finally - in terms of rolling stock, I'd quite like anything suitable for a mid-'30s BLT. (I'm almost certain that neither the Bachmann pseudo-Colletts nor the Ratio six-wheelers would do).

• RMweb Premium

I feel the priority is really coaching stock

With the shortage of coaches to be pulled by the locos on offer from both the blue and red box folk what about Hornby revamping their Dean corridor clerestory stock with actual relief mouldings as a starter.

As others have said bow ended stock would also fill a major gap for pre 1934 passenger stock and with the above some mixed stock trains could be run.

Some top lights (a Brake comp would be nice but would need to a shorter ones I guess E95? But realistically not likely due to all the varieties toplights came in

Earlier pre 1929 auto coach*

Brown stock :

a brake van suitable for milk trains not fussed on diagram just one with longevity and suitable for pre 1934 K1?

a fish van in pre 1934 (to be launched by manufacturer at the same time as the above pbv ) S6 / S8?

again any pre 1934 parcel stock to go with the pbv

Where 4wheel stock is mentioned I think this is unlikely 6 wheel stock is as likely

Locos the main classes have been dealt with but new models needed of the elderly models as said by others of 14xx, Manor, 43xx, for a change 51xx ;-)

Bulldog - as a follow on from the Dukedog

Small Metro tank or the predecessor of the 14xx the 517 class to go with*

More wishful thinking instead of more pannier tanks how about saddle tank 2021 or an 850 go with*

Sorry re the SRM already have mine ... also think this would be difficult in ready to run with it's extremely fine valve gear.

I look forward to seeing Dapol's streamlined rail car despite the above era restrictions ;-)

Something I missed  especially if Hornby do not re do the Dean Goods.

....one for Bachmann what about a Armstrong standard goods with the outside frames especially with their expertise with outside frames and seeming desire to produce older locomotives.

Re some  other suggestions if you are looking in photo albums of branchlines in BR days please remember a lot of the locos shown were not branchline locos especially some diagrams of the diesel railcars which were built for longer distances.

R

Archived