The Furness Valley Railroad

chaz

Pennsylvania geology? Well, yes, I suppose so. But then "my bit" of Pennsylvania, the Furness Valley, is entirely mythical. Doesn't that let me off the hook?

Chaz

Yes, sorry Chaz that was exactly what I was trying to say! Paint it whatever colour you like as you can then amend the geology to suit, so no dilemma necessary...!

k

Edited by keefr2

Yes, sorry Chaz that was exactly what I was trying to say! Paint it whatever colour you like as you can then amend the geology to suit, so no dilemma necessary...!

k

Phew! That's a relief. :jester:

The fact that the Furness Valley RR is On30 with mostly Bachmann equipment is a compromise - in line with my decision to build a freelance US narrow gauge layout - I only have the haziest notion of US railway history although that is improving. I don't want to get too hung up with researching - if the layout ends up as a convincing picture in my terms I will be happy. Of course this approach won't suit everyone but it's OK by me.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

Before I could cut the stonework texture into the wing wall I needed to make a card cradle to support the job...

P1030725-2_zpsd7c5985b.jpg

...a quick job cut from corrugated card and assembled with a glue gun.

And here's the abutment in the cradle, with the surface to be worked on safely held horizontally.

P1030727-2_zpscccd16a5.jpg

And this short video shows a stone being textured with the small dental (?) burr shown above.

http://youtu.be/9ywQH7xFSWA

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been out and about a bit just lately bird-watching and trying to find butterflies and moths to photograph (not helped by our less than impressive weather) so I have been less focussed on modelling but today is so dull and wet I think I may well make a little progress on the FVRR......WTS!

• 3 weeks later...

Chaz,

Have you painted the stonework?

Chris

No, Chris, not yet. Have been spending most of my free time taking snaps of insects, which is one of my other interests. I can't afford to waste the current spate of weather.....

DSC_0641-2_zpsc664aed1.jpg

DSC_0782-3_zps42cdd2b4.jpg

Chaz

• Like 8

No, Chris, not yet. Have been spending most of my free time taking snaps of insects, which is one of my other interests. I can't afford to waste the current spate of weather.....

Chaz

Looking forward to seeing the 7mm scale versions. 

Chaz:  The noise THE DRILL NOISE strikes fear into me it does, had to pull out of the vid but I get the idea

Also some nice insect photos there.

You got any close-ups of these as elephants got mentioned above it's an elephant hawk moth.

post-1159-0-82482300-1403366509.jpg

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

Chaz:  The noise THE DRILL NOISE strikes fear into me it does, had to pull out of the vid but I get the idea

Also some nice insect photos there.

You got any close-ups of these as elephants got mentioned above it's an elephant hawk moth.

No Barnaby, no elephant hawk moths. I found the scarlet tiger moth that I photographed on my finger upside down in the middle of a footpath (where it had presumably fallen, having been brushed off the foliage by another walker). Like a lot of moths and butterflies they can't fly when they have just emerged.

Sorry you found the drill noise frightening   :O  - maybe switch off the sound on your computer?

Chaz

... and what about the weathering?  :jester:

Oh, come on. The tiger moth I photographed had just emerged (couldn't fly yet) so was pristine, so a "fresh from the paintshop" look is needed.

• 3 weeks later...

The weather is not conducive to getting butterfly snaps at the moment...

But here are a couple I took last week...

DSC_1214-2800x662_zps8e81a922.jpg

DSC_1207-2800x595_zpsbbe2a55a.jpg

So, a switch back to railway modelling (Hoorah!) and some progress today on the stonework. First photo shows my colour experiment on the stonework sample.

P1030796-2800x464_zpsf8d05166.jpg

I have applied the colour as a wash of artists' acrylic. The grey is well thinned lamp black and the brown is a mix of the black and raw sienna.

Next photo shows the sample having a second wash applied to build up the colour strength.

P1030797-2800x696_zps2ee364f7.jpg

And the last photo shows the result of three washes.

P1030800-2800x447_zps7a1f0732.jpg

There is some colour variation as the result of the textures cut into the DAS, although the colour overall is quite uniform. Some variety should be possible with individual stones getting some thinned washes but this will need some care if it's not to look contrived.

I'm not sure which colour I will actually use. I do like the look of the grey (looks rather Welsh to me, Mr Klein!) but a compromise with a smaller proportion of raw sienna is possible.

I will also experiment with dry-brushing to get some highlighting of edges - I haven't tried dry-brushing with acrylics before so more experiment is needed.

Chaz

PS - I should have said - as the DAS is very absorbent the colour dries much lighter than it looks when wet. But this is to the good, it helps control if the colour is built up slowly.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Chaz

These look like a candidate for this thread Chaz:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84769-days-when-you-know-why-you-live-in-the-british-isles/

Dave.

Weather too nice today for modelling so I will be straight out after an early lunch, but I did grab a few minutes to try out some dry-brushing on the stonework test piece.

First the dark grey section...

DSC_1489-2800x452_zps11ced287.jpg

I dry brushed this with a light grey - I think white would be too obvious.

Then the brown stone...

DSC_1488-2800x538_zpsc22f2603.jpg

This was dry-brushed with a light grey with some raw sienna added. I rather like this colour and will probably use it on the bridge abutments.

I find the acrylics good for dry-brushing. If the colours are mixed from the tube without the addition of any water they go "pasty" quickly and work well. Dragging the paint across the stonework, both up and down, accentuates the relief effects cut into the DAS and also introduces a bit more colour variation. I may well try one or two other earth colours - raw umber might well be useful. If you going to try this an old small flat brush is good - but the technique is hard on brushes. You also need to wash the brush out before the paint hardens in it. Dry the brush very thoroughly before you resume, any dampness in the brush will change the action of the dry-brushing dramatically.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the brown sample looks better.

Chris

My feeling too. When the present spell of butterfly-friendly weather ends I might even get round to making more progress with the actual abutments on the FVRR.

DSC_1719-2700x547_zpsd8c0ae5c.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

It's been nearly a year since I posted any progress on the FVRR, but with the work on Dock Green largely finished my attention is now firmly on the (not very) straight and narrow. So expect more postings shortly.....

Chaz

• Like 2

Oh that stone work again glorious it is, so real so heavy, solid stuff Chaz.

That dry brushing technique you describe above I've noted but not tried but it does look like a delicate wash has been applied it/s so subtle.

Regards

Hello Chaz.

I have just picked up your thread and am impressed with the way your are developing the layout. We have all been told of the importance of proper planning but I suspect that most of us only pay lip service to this aspect of railway modelling. I think that the way you have described the development and the thinking which has gone/is going into it deserves praise and should act as a guide to modellers everywhere on how to plan and attack a project.

Keep up the good work which I for one will follow with great interest.

Rod

Hello Chaz.

I have just picked up your thread and am impressed with the way your are developing the layout. We have all been told of the importance of proper planning but I suspect that most of us only pay lip service to this aspect of railway modelling. I think that the way you have described the development and the thinking which has gone/is going into it deserves praise and should act as a guide to modellers everywhere on how to plan and attack a project.

Keep up the good work which I for one will follow with great interest.

Rod

Thanks Rod. "Proper planning"? Well, maybe, but flexibility is also important. The curve off the girder bridge might well be subject to a change of plan as drawings are realised.

Chaz