Hornby D16/3

Downer

Hornby have released an image of the new D16, 2524 with suffix E. The image is the left hand side of the loco so the E is next to the cab steps handrail.

There is a photograph of 2524 in Yeadons page 93, but the photo is the right hand side of the loco and  it shows a prefix E, therefore, again the E is at the edge of cab by handrails.

I know in early BR days some locos had the E as a prefix and others as a suffix, but my guess is Hornby have got it wrong and the E should be a prefix to the number, unless others know better or a photo of the left hand side exists to prove Hornby correct.

Paul

Ohhhhhh that LNER liveried one looks excellent, can't wait.

My eye was drawn straight away to that lovely single red lining (why did Bachmann never add it to their LNER liveried K3???). Sadly I can't justify one as I model North of York.

Looks beautiful!

Does anyone know if the LNER liveried version would be suitable for use on a layout roughly depicting the Wells-Next-The-Sea branch (North Norfolk) pre WW2? I appreciate the specific loco might not be but it could always be re-numbered.

Either way, looks a stunning model and should sit well with the forthcoming J15.

Greg

Edited by RateTheFreight

Does anyone know if the LNER liveried version would be suitable for use on a layout roughly depicting the Wells-Next-The-Sea branch (North Norfolk) pre WW2? I appreciate the specific loco might not be but it could always be re-numbered.

Either way, looks a stunning model and should sit well with the forthcoming J15.

Greg

Greg

In Stanley Jenkins book "The Wells-next-the-Sea branch, The Oakwood Press page 55 onwards he says:

"Locomotives seen on the branch in the 1920s and 1930s included former GER T26 (LNER E4) 2-4-0......................J15 class on passenger and goods....................J17s and to a lesser extent J19s...................Claud Hamilton 4-4-0s appeared sporadically in the years before World War II. and by the later 1930s D15s, D16/2s and D16/3s.............

First rule of model railways is it's my railway I'll run what I like; but in this case it looks like Stanley has also given you a reason! In his book photos in the 1930s show E4, J15, D13 and J21 (eight of the class were allocated to Norwich between 1935 to 1947).

Yeadon's Register on the class also says "From the mid 1930s the Clauds began to penetrate the rural branch lines of Norfolk..................."

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I too subscribe to the rule of running what I like but it's good to see that a Claud could legitimately be placed on the layout alongside the J15.

The book you reference is indeed a mine of info; I definitely need to re-purchase having lost my original in a house move. I think the book even made refence to the odd B12 appearing on the branch but not being ideal owing to it being too big for the Wells turntable.

Now all I need is to find a kit of an E4!

Thanks

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I too subscribe to the rule of running what I like but it's good to see that a Claud could legitimately be placed on the layout alongside the J15.

The book you reference is indeed a mine of info; I definitely need to re-purchase having lost my original in a house move. I think the book even made refence to the odd B12 appearing on the branch but not being ideal owing to it being too big for the Wells turntable.

Now all I need is to find a kit of an E4!

Thanks

Greg

There is, I believe, much in common between a J15 and an E4. I am sure that Hornby's designers must have taken note of that. So perhaps you won't need a kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Are some of the D16/3s still expected in October? Can anyone confirm current expected arrival dates, please?

John

Personally I wouldn't know. Hornby never gave any release dates this year. One shows 28th Oct on Hattons' site, but then again I've always known Hattons to give slightly incorrect info when I otherwise got correct info from other retailers (not bashing Hattons, just never had good service from them). I'm sure they are nearly accurate though.

I may have got this wrong? But on the GER Group message digest I (too rapidly) skimmed through earlier, I'm sure some quoted a small batch as having arrived at a dealer. Can't be true surely?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Have to say this new date is a relief for me (ducks for cover!). I had to cancel all my pre-orders while she who must be obeys quits working to go back to college for a bit. I kept the D16 and J15 as these were top of the wants, maybe by Feb/March next year there will be enough in the coffers to spare for them!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have to say this new date is a relief for me (ducks for cover!). I had to cancel all my pre-orders while she who must be obeys quits working to go back to college for a bit. I kept the D16 and J15 as these were top of the wants, maybe by Feb/March next year there will be enough in the coffers to spare for them!

Looks like you'll have a bit longer to save up now - the D16 dates on the Hornby site have changed to mid-May.

Mal

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  I have just noticed that the latest Hornby D16, 62581, has concave frame extensions in front of the smoke box.  This makes it a piston valve rebuild and easier to renumber to 62546 which was named Claud Hamilton in 1947 when the original was withdrawn. I wonder if the tooling will allow for the original splashers and valance in due course?

Roger

Hi.  I have just noticed that the latest Hornby D16, 62581, has concave frame extensions in front of the smoke box.  This makes it a piston valve rebuild and easier to renumber to 62546 which was named Claud Hamilton in 1947 when the original was withdrawn. I wonder if the tooling will allow for the original splashers and valance in due course?

Roger

Given the excellent first impressions with the J15 we can hope this is so... Hornby have been good with detail variations on models, usually, up till now, and the original-splasher Claud with appropriate paintwork could be a stunner! Or even in LNER/BR colours.... What I particularly like are the guard irons at the front, which softens the coarse 00 wheel profiles, to my eyes at least.

• 3 weeks later...