Hornby D16/3

Downer

• RMweb Gold

Where were the green ones shedded?

Ed

I believe Cambridge allocated, they certainly worked there and were kept clean for the Royals from Sandringham. I've seen a few pics of them in the area. Don't forget Kings Lynn-Hunstanton was in the same District.

Stewart

Locomotives Illustrated No. 42 shows the withdrawal dates and final sheds for the class with 62614 allocated to King's Lynn as at 08/58 and 62618 to March as at 11/59.

I have to say that I am sure I have seen a photo of one without the valance but with a round topped firebox in green.

Ed

Not sure if it was BR or LNER, but I suspect the former as it would have been of more interest to me.

Isn't this info in the RCTS Green book if anyone has it?

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that I am sure I have seen a photo of one without the valance but with a round topped firebox in green.

Ed

Not sure if it was BR or LNER, but I suspect the former as it would have been of more interest to me.

There are a couple of (b&w) photos in LI42 of 8900 Claud Hamilton itself in 1936 & 37 sporting LNER lined green.

• RMweb Premium

Ed

62614 was the one without valances. Photo at Fig 52 in RCTS 3C, apple green with early crest on tender. Date given is August 1950, when it was allocated to Kings Lynn. Another photo at Fig 48 shows her in August 1948 in full LNER green .

Edited by great northern

• 4 weeks later...

There has been mention in other threads recently about Hornby now shipping directly to Australia. I went into Hobbyone at Mt Gravatt, Brisbane this morning and there were 4 D16/3's in the showcase, there are now 3! We may have lost the Ashes but...................

She is a beautiful runner, now to spend a happy hour with some more weathering, coaling, crew and lamps, joy on a wet Saturday afternoon......post-3148-0-06847200-1440826406_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry, forgot to mention, price was a very reasonable $239 Australian. With the current exchange rate probably the same or even cheaper than in the UK.

She looks superb with a train of the Bachman Eastern Region vans........

Yes I am excited................

Sorry, forgot to mention, price was a very reasonable $239 Australian. With the current exchange rate probably the same or even cheaper than in the UK.

She looks superb with a train of the Bachman Eastern Region vans........

Yes I am excited................

£111 in UK prices.

That is very good value, considering the exchange rate is poorer that when they were first projected to arrive.

The Hornby RRP is 110 pounds and works out to about A$230.  But if bought from a UK retailer it may be about A$20-25 cheaper.

I have the LNER version on order from a UK retailer. So not far away.

Mark

I am particularly pleased to see this model as I have one on order to relivery into 62546 'Claude Hamilton'. The weathering does not look quite as abysmal as the K1, and I'm really pleased to see the polished smokebox ring!

$A229 is a very keen price, but I will stand by my pre-order. 62530 should look superb.

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Peter C.

There has been mention in other threads recently about Hornby now shipping directly to Australia. I went into Hobbyone at Mt Gravatt, Brisbane this morning and there were 4 D16/3's in the showcase, there are now 3! We may have lost the Ashes but...................

She is a beautiful runner, now to spend a happy hour with some more weathering, coaling, crew and lamps, joy on a wet Saturday afternoon......attachicon.gifD16 - Straight from the box.jpg

You looky down under getting your hands on the Clauds before us lot!

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the weathering, which I'm not so keen on, it is looking just as good as the J15, and, on looking at the photo', the handrail knobs may be at the proper angle.

With best regards,

Market65.

Kind of appropriate that the Eastern outposts of the Empire get them first I suppose....

Well there is, I believe, a rather tenuous connection. 

When Edward, the then Prince of Wales toured Australia in 1920, one of his travelling companions was a certain Claude Hamilton (part of the noble clan that included the former Chairman of the Great Eastern Railway - Claud without the 'e').  The royal party suffered an incident when their train carriage overturned in Western Australia.

• RMweb Gold

She is a beautiful runner, now to spend a happy hour with some more weathering, coaling, crew and lamps, joy on a wet Saturday afternoon......attachicon.gifD16 - Straight from the box.jpg

In some ways I'm pleased that you Aussies get stuff that is after all produced on your doorstep before those of us who live on the opposite side of the globe. if the altenative is it being shipped to the UK and then shipped back!

Vistiaen, there are times when we have received things that were not released in the UK which was very very odd. any how some times we do have them travel most of the way round the world to the UK and then back. The problem that we strike is to purchase direct from the UK is cheaper than buying locally.45568 did very well as this is almost the same as the UK price. I had the same situation earlier in the year when I picked up a K1 for the same value. 

Sorry to everyone waiting still in the UK, but after receiving my tax refund I couldn't resist another one. Another superb runner. I just hope to get round to detailing them this weekend. Trouble is said tax refund has also paid for some re-tiling work and so the house is in utter chaos and "She who must be obeyed" wants her rooms back in order.

On the second shot you can see some of the lovely cab details.

With the J15 and now this............. life cannot get much better.post-3148-0-07643700-1441358177_thumb.jpgpost-3148-0-94416700-1441358337_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to everyone waiting still in the UK, but after receiving my tax refund I couldn't resist another one. Another superb runner. I just hope to get round to detailing them this weekend. Trouble is said tax refund has also paid for some re-tiling work and so the house is in utter chaos and "She who must be obeyed" wants her rooms back in order.

With the J15 and now this............. life cannot get much better.attachicon.gif62530 - 1.jpgattachicon.gif62530 - 2.jpg

What's the factory code?

• RMweb Premium

With the J15 and now this............. life cannot get much better.attachicon.gif62530 - 1.jpgattachicon.gif62530 - 2.jpg

That looks just beautiful - thank you for the pictures!

Leave some for us! :yes: