Hornby D16/3

Downer

...life cannot get much better...

If Hornby were to choose one of the more numerous, widespread and long lived GER tank loco designs as a model subject, might that do the trick?

The choice of the J50 was something of a surprise to me - and very welcome - because there are similar size and exceedingly attractive Stratford tank engine designs going begging. Choose well and there is the potential to produce something that does all of:

integrate well with all their last five years of LNER loco and stock releases;

tie in to a national collection item;

carry a drop dead gorgeous pre-group livery never yet seen in OO RTR;

offer many variations in external fittings;

carry late LNER and BR green;

carry a version of the gorgeous GER livery as used in BR form;

and of course regular LNER and BR black.

It looks like a pile of money just waiting to fall into Hornby's lap, but what do I know?

• Like 1

In some ways I'm pleased that you Aussies get stuff that is after all produced on your doorstep before those of us who live on the opposite side of the globe. if the altenative is it being shipped to the UK and then shipped back!

And as long as our Aussie colleagues keep putting up such good review images, we Brits still have time to cancel our pre-orders of anything that's turned out to be a turkey. Definitely not the case this time, I should add!

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

I think that the lining is hidden by the pipe. Apart from that it really is a model to look forward to. Indeed that particular D16/3 is the very one which I'm hoping to get so that it can be renumbered as the engine which worked a railtour on the Beverley to York line in 1957.

With regards,

Market65.

Here is my unedited pic of a newly-opened weathered 62581.

All good except the copper-coloured pipework assembly under the cab was detached and I cannot see quite how to glue it back on, not Hornby's fault, the Sydney seller hobbyco.com.au didn't used any soft packing at all inside a carton, the Hornby box was loose and knocking around inside.

Beautiful model though, weathering not as dire as the K1.

Another pic with edited-on parts around the front and few other tweaks in 'best ever Hornby' thread.

Cheers,

Rob

post-7929-0-23653200-1441425064_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Well I managed to get over to the local model railway shop here in Melbourne. They had all the versions in stock. The price was as good or slightly better than the UK at 215AUD. I was very surprised and happy to see that the price for this one was so competitive. Not so much on other rolling stock or loco's but still closer, making buying them from the UK less attractive. So finally managing to get through all the Saturday shopping with the family. I have finally got to put the loco on the layout and take a couple of photos. I don't put the detailing bits on as I end up finding them all over the layout as the rolling stock drops them off! So here are the photos. post-3192-0-45244000-1441431832_thumb.jpgpost-3192-0-75108500-1441431856_thumb.jpg

I'm impressed so far, the next main item I have to do is put a DCC chip into it. I also purchased a digitrax DZ123 to go into it.

Edited by DougN
  • Like 9

I've had the lined BR version on pre-order with Hornby for months but looking at those photographs I confess to being more than a little disappointed.........Those heavy red boiler bands are surely incorrect and appear to make the model look rather toy-like.

Surely they should be red/black/red - not heavy solid red as it appears on the pictures?  Certainly they were in Hornby's original pre-production 'photos'.

Otherwise it looks fine but I am beginning to wish I had ordered the plain unlined version. I can see a repaint coming on.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I've had the lined BR version on pre-order with Hornby for months but looking at those photographs I confess to being more than a little disappointed.........Those heavy red boiler bands are surely incorrect and appear to make the model look rather toy-like.

Surely they should be red/black/red - not heavy solid red as it appears on the pictures? Certainly they were in Hornby's original pre-production 'photos'.

Otherwise it looks fine but I am beginning to wish I had ordered the plain unlined version. I can see a repaint coming on.

Don

Enlarge the photo and you will see it is red/black/red

...Those heavy red boiler bands are surely incorrect and appear to make the model look rather toy-like...

The black intermediate stripe is too narrow on the double red stripe of the boiler bands. But the visual weight of the boiler bands is a decent representation, when compared to a prototype photo of 8835 in 1939, just out of works following conversion to D16/3. The single lining on the model is underscale in visual impression compared to the photo. Not a subtle lining scheme at all.

(The Big Four in Colour 1935 - 50, a book I cannot recommend highly enough.)

It would, if they announced a new-tool 1500/B12 for 2016!

Perhaps Hornby are a little concerned about how an accurate model might be perceived, compared to the old tooling? This is one loco where they have deviated from their usual 'repeat popular older model subject' playbook.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Hilux5972 - I can see what you mean although the red still looks way too strong for me. Still - I do have some HMRS boiler band lining in a drawer, so can always redo them.

It could just be the photography that brings out the bright red and it makes the black strip look thinner, but it could be the black is definitely thinner. Perhaps someone that has the model can clarify?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Hornby are a little concerned about how an accurate model might be perceived, compared to the old tooling? This is one loco where they have deviated from their usual 'repeat popular older model subject' playbook.

But, equally, the old model hasn't been produced for quite a while so maybe Hornby have quietly dropped it in advance of doing a proper one. 

They have previously left precious little breathing space between discontinuing some older models ahead of releasing their replacements.

I imagine this didn't go down too well with retailers who still had stocks of the obsolete versions and it may have confused some potential purchasers.

John

I have been talking to Hornby people for some time now about a new tooling B12 - and I think you will find that it will happen. but not this year and probably not next. Just got to hang in there.

In the meantime, I have tarted up the old one to keep me going (I model the GER in Suffolk), with a LOT of body alterations (including lowering to the correct height - almost 3mm - on it's chassis), new front bogie with scale wheels, etc., a 'modern' Sandringham tender and for good luck fitted with a Portescap RG4 and sound. It's far from perfect but miles better until something more accurate comes along.

post-14917-0-21623300-1441467058_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-37256600-1441467059_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-40474300-1441467060_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-21449600-1441467062_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The boiler lining on the LNER black version is not right somehow. I think that if the bands are red-black-red, then the red is just that bit too thick, or the black is a bit too little - as is usually the case with the LNER white-black-white boiler bands. A lovely model otherwise, and I am looking forward to the early crest BR version.

With regards,

Market65.

Back to the D16/3, can someone that has the lines LNER Black version post a closeup of the boiler lining bands?

Well as you have asked so nicely. I'll pull out the big Nikon and take some better shots. The photos above are from the iPad, not bad but comparing to a SLR D5500 I think I know which one would win as a camera!... Give me some time today and I will be back.

• RMweb Premium

Well as you have asked so nicely. I'll pull out the big Nikon and take some better shots. The photos above are from the iPad, not bad but comparing to a SLR D5500 I think I know which one would win as a camera!... Give me some time today and I will be back.

Thanks Doug.