Hornby D16/3

Downer

Don't want to disappoint folk but I think the D16's maybe delayed again. The Hornby 7MT's are now scheduled for the 15th of December when they should have been mid July.

It seems the production delays are still with us unfortunately but I think it will be worth the wait !!!!  

Who knows when things will turn up?  

Will there be a few for sale from Hornby.com while people with pre-orders wait, again?

Here are two pics of my hopes for the new D16/3 model, edited. Every sign of being a stunner, if SK says so.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/pcb.437370199761984/437370083095329/?type=1&theater

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't want to disappoint folk but I think the D16's maybe delayed again. The Hornby 7MT's are now scheduled for the 15th of December when they should have been mid July.

It seems the production delays are still with us unfortunately but I think it will be worth the wait !!!!  

I'm getting a feeling that there are a couple of things going on here.

The D16/3 and 700 were originally scheduled to be in the shops before the J15 and K1 but have been "leap-frogged". I suspect they may have been deferred to allow "Design Clever" features that attracted criticism in earlier models to be addressed.

It also appears that new runs of older models (e.g. Britannia, Rebuilt WC) are subject to greater delay than all-new products, suggesting that the process of transplanting the production of them to the new factories may be taking longer than initially estimated.

I consider that, if the D16/3 and 700 were likely to be subject to a similar delay, Hornby would not have made an interim announcement of a shorter one.

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I think it more likely that Hornby haven't really got a detailed grip on what is going on with some of their new factories (they do have rather a lot so that might not be surprising) thus stuff turns up at unexpected times - either earlier than anticipated or later because of the way a particular factory is working/slotting in Hornby's production with someone else's.  For example one of the factories they have used has produced models for at least two other fairly well known concerns one of which definitely hasn't suffered any delays whereas the Hornby item in question did - for whatever reason (although of course that factory might not have been responsible for all the work on that model).

It is clear that Hornby's new production plan is delivering with supplies coming through to a much more regular and improved pattern but equally i do wonder if a bit of managerial sophistication and closer control on Hornby's part might pay them dividends in supply terms (and hence cash flow).

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I have had a message yesterday to say my pre-order for the e/e d16 has been cancelled because it has been cancelled from production. I have checked with the shop who confirm this - disappointed!

I can't believe i will be alone on this?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I have had a message yesterday to say my pre-order for the e/e d16 has been cancelled because it has been cancelled from production. I have checked with the shop who confirm this - disappointed!

And would that shop have been Hattons...in which case,we've heard this sort of thing from them many times before ?

• RMweb Premium

Assuming this is R3234, it says 'expected 14/08/15' on Hornby's web site at the moment.

(edited to correct typo in date!)

Edited by 31A

It appears what is a new experience for me (in xx years of modelling and ordering) seems like it is not unknown to others. Personally what I have been told in the past has proved to be true so have had no cause to question the validity of what is said. Will apply a 'health warning' from now on - and get an order in elsewhere. Lets hope the info is incorrect!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Assuming this is R3234, it says 'expected 14/08/15' on Hornby's web site at the moment.

(edited to correct typo in date!)

Agreed...and on Hattons. I hope this is just another case of misinterpretation/misinformation and means just another postponement in production run.I can't imagine it could be otherwise.

• RMweb Premium

It appears what is a new experience for me (in xx years of modelling and ordering) seems like it is not unknown to others. Personally what I have been told in the past has proved to be true so have had no cause to question the validity of what is said. Will apply a 'health warning' from now on - and get an order in elsewhere. Lets hope the info is incorrect!

I must say I haven't come across it before either, although it seems others have!  You won't be the only one disappointed if it turns out to be true; I have one on order from my local shop, but tend to use Hatton's web site as a guide as to when to expect things to arrive.  I would be surprised if they've cancelled this particular version as I would have thought it would be the most popular of the D16 varieties so far announced, unless there were unknown 'technical / organisational' reasons!

• RMweb Gold

I note that you do not contradict my identification of the retailer.It would help confirm or refute my post if you  would say which one it is...because I've had that particular stunt pulled on me before.If it's true,then fair enough.If it isn't it's at best an irritating distraction and at worst damaging.

• RMweb Gold

I must say I haven't come across it before either, although it seems others have!  You won't be the only one disappointed if it turns out to be true; I have one on order from my local shop, but tend to use Hatton's web site as a guide as to when to expect things to arrive.  I would be surprised if they've cancelled this particular version as I would have thought it would be the most popular of the D16 varieties so far announced, unless there were unknown 'technical / organisational' reasons!

I was the recipient of a "production cancelled" communication from Hattons a few years ago when Hornby released Hornby Britannia 70004 "William Shakespeare" as a limited production run. It was Hattonspeak for "we can't get any more because Hornby have given us our quota ".If it is Hattons this time it would explain a lot.If it isn't,then that's another matter

To stop any unecessary hares running, the info did indeed come from the retailer under discussion. I have used them for years and this is a first for me but clearly not for others. I do so hope the info is wrong.

I have the e/e one on order from Hattons, but have received no such message. Looks like they have now received the quantity Hornby are now willing to supply to them meaning some orders cant be honored. They seem to be last in the queue to receive items from Hornby at the moment, I ordered my J15 from someone else due to this.

• RMweb Gold

As a general observation on the last group of posts,it would seem that many of us place a heavy reliance on Hattons as their sole source of both information and supply of most new releases.I am the last to decry their pre eminence in the market place,having used them for a good many years to my satisfaction as a customer but I am not blind to the fact that they do occasionally slip up and mislead us,sometimes unintentionally,with inaccurate information.

My point is that there are many other excellent retailers in the model railway market and maybe,just maybe,we might give smaller firms a try.Their service and prices will match and in most cases better Hattons.Give them a try next time.They try hard and won't disappoint.

Here's two for starters as a personal recommendation.....Arcadia Models and The Track Shack.

Hi  I have had a similar email from Hattons advising me that production of R3242, early crest K1, has been cancelled.  This is strange because they delivered it 3 weeks ago!

Roger

Read post 63

• RMweb Gold

As a general observation on the last group of posts,it would seem that many of us place a heavy reliance on Hattons as their sole source of both information and supply of most new releases.I am the last to decry their pre eminence in the market place,having used them for a good many years to my satisfaction as a customer but I am not blind to the fact that they do occasionally slip up and mislead us,sometimes unintentionally,with inaccurate information.

My point is that there are many other excellent retailers in the model railway market and maybe,just maybe,we might give smaller firms a try.Their service and prices will match and in most cases better Hattons.Give them a try next time.They try hard and won't disappoint.

Here's two for starters as a personal recommendation.....Arcadia Models and The Track Shack.

Read post 63

Add Hereford Model Centre to that list as well

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to the latest BRM this should be with us this month!

Interesting.  Hornby website still says August.

But the website does show the black motor as arriving in June. Perhaps they've mixed the two up.

• 1 month later...