Hornby D16/3

Downer

The Hornby website must have been updated in the last few days, as all versions of the D16 are now showing as expected 17th September. This follows the Crosti, which was expected this week, apparently put back to mid August. Helps my wallet, as having just had the Heljan Class 05 Eastern Region models come out earlier than I expected (ahead of the first announced Scottish Region versions) it needs a breather.

There are photographs of 4 approval samples of the D16/3 on Hornby's Engine Shed page today, with the comment that they hope to start shipping later this summer. Here's the link

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/class-71-and-the-d16/

John

The samples look very nice but don't think they capture the model in the best of light as the engineering samples looked very nice but these look a bit plain!

• RMweb Gold

The samples look very nice but don't think they capture the model in the best of light as the engineering samples looked very nice but these look a bit plain!

Glad you posted this.Didn't want to spoil the party but my first impression is underwhelming,too.Fingers crossed that the finished articles are up to Hornby 's current standard of excellence on delivery.Giving out information is all well and good,providing it doesn't give a misleading impression.

Glad you posted this.Didn't want to spoil the party but my first impression is underwhelming,too.Fingers crossed that the finished articles are up to Hornby 's current standard of excellence on delivery.Giving out information is all well and good,providing it doesn't give a misleading impression.

Think one of the issues is the the models don't have the front details fitted which made the model look very nice. Hopefully just dodgy pictures.

• RMweb Gold

I hope they don't approve the yellow lettering on 62581.

I'm hoping it's just the colour cast on the pic.  If you look at the lion-on-wheel of the other early-crest one the colour is quite different.

I feel we are being a bit optimist if we were to start expecting professional photographing standards and proper film directors to do these blogs.

These are done by Hornby's development team whose main focus is development. The fact that the take some of their working time to do a down to earth blog is refreshing and I personally do not expect (and to some extent, would not like) Top notch glossed over standards.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Just watching that video of the class 71, I freeze framed it and zoomed in close..at 15 seconds in there is what looks to be a Hall... without the side cab window.. ? - a Saint perhaps ?

Assuming that whatever it is has the correct cylinders it definitely isn't a 'Hall' or a 'Saint' - it's either a 'Star' or a 'Castle' - not easy to make out the size of the boiler but the firebox suggest 'Castle' while the lack or otherwise od cab side windows is far from clear.  Most likely a development model for R3237 I reckon

Edited by The Stationmaster

Nope not a Star or a Castle. Take a look at the later frame showing a close up of the smoke box at 31 Secs. Its not a 28xx or 38xx either.

I initially thought maybe it was Adderley Hall, but that is lined.. there is no lining on this one. 4965 has a different tender (and is lined as well).

This leaves us with 4953 (again different tender, but does match being unlined), ok paint samples can be explained out, but doesn't explain the lack of a cabside window.

There's a teaser at 15seconds too showing the blurred tender, next to what looks like an old 70000 Britannia in black.

Pretty sure they're two different locos. The one being talked about isn't a hall but the one in the final shot definitely is. I would imagine that the hall at the end is 4953 and the other is a Star or Castle.

I believe (I could be wrong) but this is the same layout they test repaired locos on. This would explain the several previous releases and other ordinary locos in the videos, like the unlined black Brittania

However back to topic, I was hoping for a D16/3 in Apple Green, I'm sure they did carry it? Is an Apple Green version likely? I also read that a pair were painted Apple Green until 1950(?) but with the Early Crest, for Royal Train duties, I really like the sound of that.

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

Just getting back to the D16/3 photos for a minute - WHY do Hornby persist with showing (both here and in their web site) the 'boring' side of the loco?  The right hand side, with the air pump and reversing rod, etc., is FAR more interesting and would be much more use in assessing the overall character of the model. Would it have been too much trouble for the photographer of the 'approved samples' to turn one of them round?

As for delivery - well, I've now given up speculating, having had 2 on order since the day they were first announced, which must be at least 2 years ago now. The estimate has changed several times even during in the last few weeks, from late August to early August, to 17th September. Maybe they will turn up in time for my birthday in September and maybe in time for Christmas, which will actually be nice as my wife is buying them for me as a joint Birthday/Christmas present!

Just getting back to the D16/3 photos for a minute - WHY do Hornby persist with showing (both here and in their web site) the 'boring' side of the loco?  The right hand side, with the air pump and reversing rod, etc., is FAR more interesting and would be much more use in assessing the overall character of the model. Would it have been too much trouble for the photographer of the 'approved samples' to turn one of them round?

As for delivery - well, I've now given up speculating, having had 2 on order since the day they were first announced, which must be at least 2 years ago now. The estimate has changed several times even during in the last few weeks, from late August to early August, to 17th September. Maybe they will turn up in time for my birthday in September and maybe in time for Christmas, which will actually be nice as my wife is buying them for me as a joint Birthday/Christmas present!

Given the missing guard irons etc, there's every chance they pictured the side that was finished...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure they're two different locos. The one being talked about isn't a hall but the one in the final shot definitely is. I would imagine that the hall at the end is 4953 and the other is a Star or Castle.

I believe (I could be wrong) but this is the same layout they test repaired locos on. This would explain the several previous releases and other ordinary locos in the videos, like the unlined black Brittania

However back to topic, I was hoping for a D16/3 in Apple Green, I'm sure they did carry it? Is an Apple Green version likely? I also read that a pair were painted Apple Green until 1950(?) but with the Early Crest, for Royal Train duties, I really like the sound of that.

Two were painted apple green post war Rhys, 62614 and 62618. The latter stayed green until October 51, and 62614 until as late as April 52. They weren't for royal train duties though, that was pre war, when it was indeed the same two engines, but numbered 8783/7. I suggested a Claud to Simon Kohler a few years back, and listed all the possible variants that could be done, including the royal engines and the post war green you mention. Then of course we shall no doubt see a batch with the decorative valances still in place, and how about some with belpaire boilers? A limited batch with oil burning tenders perhaps?The collectors would like that. And even a D14 in glorious GE blue, though that would need a fair bit of different tooling. Lots of possibilities.

It seems I mixed up my timeline a little bit, do you know why they were painted as such if it wasn't for shifting Royals around East Anglia? I would definitely like one in apple green with BR crests, I would be confident that it would be a very attractive model, I've never seen a colour photo of the real locos but even in black and white it looked good. I'm very surprised that Hornby haven't done any in Apple green, no doubt they will (it's not like them to miss Apple green if it's an option)